• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Before my first handgun purchase I was 99% set on a 24/7 in .40. I shot one several times and it felt really good in my hands.

When I went to go purchase one I really got into the quality and asked the opinions of several gun shops on the 24/7. Everyone said it was hit or miss in the quality. One store had a high turn over rate on the 24/7's being traded in.

It came down to 3 guns. The S&W M&P, the Springfied XDm, and the FN FNP. I ended up purchasing the XDm and have not regretted it at all, even though it was a couple of hundred more than the 24/7.

That was you're first mistake. You never ask the gun shop about quality, they are there to sell you a more expensive gun. You only get your feedback from actual owners.

Sure they did, sure I believe the gun shop owner, yes sir.

Yep, he got you for a few hundred dollars more. This is my point.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i respect the opinions of everyone here. that being said, i had to deal with their customer service for a shell extraction issue. a simple thing to install, no gunsmithing involved, problem was, taurus would not sell this piece as it was an "in house only" repair.

so i sent it to them, got the pistol back three months later, only to find NOTHING was done, contrary to what their work order said. i sent it back, and another three months went by, and the EXACT same thing remained the problem. so i called them, trying to remain calm and polite, making my case that quality control was non-existent. i sent it back again, two months later, i received it repaired, with the exact same documentation that was written from the first time i sent it in.

the gun shoots fine, but i will never buy another taurus.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    i respect the opinions of everyone here. that being said, i had to deal with their customer service for a shell extraction issue. a simple thing to install, no gunsmithing involved, problem was, taurus would not sell this piece as it was an "in house only" repair.

so i sent it to them, got the pistol back three months later, only to find NOTHING was done, contrary to what their work order said. i sent it back, and another three months went by, and the EXACT same thing remained the problem. so i called them, trying to remain calm and polite, making my case that quality control was non-existent. i sent it back again, two months later, i received it repaired, with the exact same documentation that was written from the first time i sent it in.

the gun shoots fine, but i will never buy another taurus.

I'll have to admit, that's about the worst story I have heard from anyone regarding Taurus. We own two, would I buy another one ? Yes. I'm not a fan of semi-auto pistol, I'm not against them, but, I hear a lot of issues with semi autos, but, that's neither here nor there, since my interest in limited in them, but if I bought another Taurus it would be a revolver of course.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    That was you're first mistake. You never ask the gun shop about quality, they are there to sell you a more expensive gun. You only get your feedback from actual owners.

Sure they did, sure I believe the gun shop owner, yes sir.

Yep, he got you for a few hundred dollars more. This is my point.

The thing I didn't mention is that I didn't buy from the places I spoke with. Since I work in Delaware and shot a few different guns in PA, that is where I got my advise.

But I had to purchase in MD.

And I'm only speaking for the 24/7. None of the other models.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll have to admit, that's about the worst story I have heard from anyone regarding Taurus. We own two, would I buy another one ? Yes. I'm not a fan of semi-auto pistol, I'm not against them, but, I hear a lot of issues with semi autos, but, that's neither here nor there, since my interest in limited in them, but if I bought another Taurus it would be a revolver of course.

Open your ears, theres plenty of bad Taurus CS Stories. I have so many I cant tremember them in detail anymore.

Taurus firearms generally have terrible QC across the board unless its a 1911, SAA, 92/99. Their revolvers, .22's and everything else is generally the lowest common denominator.

Ive fixed more tauruses than maost people have had the chance to hold. Im not selling anything, its just the truth.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    But then we have to consider how many Tauri are out there compared to others. When there are 5 Tauri for every Smith & Wesson, there are going to be far more coming in for repairs. Also the people who buy Taurus are often not the types who know a thing about fixing guns. So they head to a gunsmith for every little thing, especially given he cost of getting/ waitin on warranty work from Taurus.

Taurus comes out with many new models every year, and like ANY OTHER manufacturer, the new models usually have bugs that need to be worked-out. Sig, Ruger, S&W, etc., all release new models that often have issues. And they are even more expensive.

S&W has a decent warranty situation where they have lifetime repairs and send you a shipping label.... so how many are going to come across a local gunsmith's desk when buyers can send their guns away for free? I don't know... just thinking out loud.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    But then we have to consider how many Tauri are out there compared to others. When there are 5 Tauri for every Smith & Wesson, there are going to be far more coming in for repairs. Also the people who buy Taurus are often not the types who know a thing about fixing guns. So they head to a gunsmith for every little thing, especially given he cost of getting/ waitin on warranty work from Taurus.

Taurus comes out with many new models every year, and like ANY OTHER manufacturer, the new models usually have bugs that need to be worked-out. Sig, Ruger, S&W, etc., all release new models that often have issues. And they are even more expensive.

S&W has a decent warranty situation where they have lifetime repairs and send you a shipping label.... so how many are going to come across a local gunsmith's desk when buyers can send their guns away for free? I don't know... just thinking out loud.

When the gun has been sent to taurus already multiple times and Taurus cant get it right, YES a gunsmith see them when they have a good reputation.

Being a smith at a shop that sells them you would be shocked how many wont DONT work right out of the box. We rework the ones that dont eat up excessive amounts of labor time and return the ones we know from experience arent worth messing with. I can only recall one S&W thats ever not worked properly out of the box.

People like to trash modern S&W because alot have MIM parts and Locks built in, but even the modern S&W firearms are heads and tails above the hayday of Taurus (Early 90's when quality was good). Look inside the 2 side by side and youll SEE the quality in a Smith.

Im not trying to sell you a S&W, Im trying to inform people of the realities many have experienced with certain Taurus products.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a friend that picked up a PT1911 with the rail, is it the best piece - not really, does it feed/fire/eject fine?, so far it has. Is the finish the best, again not really.

For the price he paid, he could've done a lot worse, but for his first 1911, it's done him pretty well, and the trigger out of the box wasn't too shabby either.

I don't say this to counter Chad, but there are some Taurus' that actually work, and he knows there's more than a few that just don't. Luck and experience's may vary.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a friend that picked up a PT1911 with the rail, is it the best piece - not really, does it feed/fire/eject fine?, so far it has. Is the finish the best, again not really.

For the price he paid, he could've done a lot worse, but for his first 1911, it's done him pretty well, and the trigger out of the box wasn't too shabby either.

I don't say this to counter Chad, but there are some Taurus' that actually work, and he knows there's more than a few that just don't. Luck and experience's may vary.

In my other post I said Taurus 1911's are nice. I mentioned 92 series are too.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    People like to trash modern S&W because alot have MIM parts and Locks built in, but even the modern S&W firearms are heads and tails above the hayday of Taurus (Early 90's when quality was good). Look inside the 2 side by side and youll SEE the quality in a Smith.

Im not trying to sell you a S&W, Im trying to inform people of the realities many have experienced with certain Taurus products.

You don't have to. Largely because of your advice, I bought one. :party29:

By the way, I've owned 2 Taurus guns. One was a pocket .22 that keyholed bullets. The other was a PT-92 I liked, but I was young and stupid and thought windex would really shine the chrome finish up nice. You can guess where that went...

MCTRV

Mar 2, 2011
    Grandpop gave me his Taurus 357 magnum - a 6 shooter with wood grips (not sure of model # ) Really enjoy shooting with it & using 38s is nice too for target practice. Will pass it on the my son some day.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I fired a PT92 long time ago and it semed sluggish when it cycled. Also the gun seriously rattled when you shook it. Felt real loose and cheap.

A friend just got a 509 for x-mas and although it seems to shoot a little low, she likes it.

Dave

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    In my other post I said Taurus 1911's are nice. I mentioned 92 series are too.

As 1911 knockoffs go anyways. I have a 90's custom shop revolver that has a better trigger than any S&W I have shot, has never ftanything and cost about what a decent S&W trigger job would. It seems that QC has gone to crap with most things over the last 20yrs. Recalls and issues seem to have become the norm and are even worse with many so called prestige brands. Every S&W I had was recalled. There has been Until Gun Experiences Recall reputation associated with Ruger. It seems that so called crap brands have served me better that any of the so called quality brands. My E machine computers last till completely obsolete where every IBM,Hp etc last 2-3yrs. My Mossbergs and CVA's do as well or better as anything I have used.(My neighbors Vinci is made of air and does not kick abusively it is completely unreal) my 80s Tanfoglio and Taurus have never failed me. My Rossi(Taurus) matched pair 20ga/22 is reliable and at under $100 an unmatched value. Every company seems to have their duds but Taurus seems to pick mostly good platforms to COPY.

David N

Dec 7, 2011
    The Brazilian "92" series models ARE the originals - this was the original Beretta factory that Taurus bought in 1980, including the rights to make, modify, and improve all of these products. I've never had a problem with mine. (and they are guranteed for life).

Can't comment on any others, ..

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The mellinimum pt series will go boom but they aren't of the best quality. I will say this though when it doesn't go boom you can start whipping people with it and it makes a great brick. I got pistol whipped last new years with one......ouch.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a PT 140 Millenium Pro. Not horrible, not great. It is an okay gun. My friend, a LEO who has carried S&W, Glock, Beretta, & currently Sig, loved my PT 140 & wants to buy it. It is all personal preference. Some love Chevy, some Ford. I drive a Dodge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom