• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    No experience with that model, but I have 3 Taurus revolvers.

Unfortunately 2 took a trip back to Taurus for issues (one of them actually went twice). It took a long time to get them back and they are OK.

From my experience I would buy Ruger for my next revolver.

Good luck.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Double action .44's are only available in a few models by Ruger and S&W. If you're not sure you really will shoot a .44 that often and don't want to spend $700 for a Ruger (more for the Smith); than get the Taurus. I don't personally like them, but I can understand wanting to save a few dollars.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Save your money and buy a well made revolver. Like a Ruger or a Smith and Wesson.

I bought a big bore Taurus and it was so horribly made that it was cheaper and easier for the company to refund every cent I paid for it than to try and fix it.

I flat out refused a replacement gun.

Total junk right out of the box. Chamber issues. Timing issues. Over indexing issues. The ratchet on the back of the cylinder looked like it was gnawed on by a drunken beaver. Zero quality control.

Or find a Taurus that was made 15 or more years ago. They were of good quality then.

I have a ported M85 in high polish stainless which is one of my favorite revolvers.

skidmoe77

Aug 6, 2011
    Cumberland
    I like mine, shoots great. About 500 round down range no problems. Could due without two cylinder release levels. Other than that, I would buy another one.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I just sold my Taurus 66 to get a Smith 686. My Taurus was a great gun. Fit, finish, eveything. Wish I could have kept it but it had to go to help fund the Smith.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I never had good luck with Taurus, I would find a nice used S&W model 29 or 629.

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I've got one in .480 Ruger and it has been perfect so far. I have not read about many problems with the raging bull line of revolvers.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    A friend of mine has a Raging Bull in .44 magnum, IIRC 8 inch barrel; it's a real pussycat to shoot and very accurate. The weight combined with the barrel porting makes the recoil feel like a .38 special.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I have "a few" Raging Bulls and have had NO problems with them. I think they are very good for the money. One of the .44's I have shot quite a bit. The titanium .44 I have carried in the woods for hundreds of miles but shot very little.... it carries and feels good on my side.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a Taurus 44 Mag SS 6.5" ventilated and ported barrel (Pre-Raging Bull). It is as accurate as anyone who pulls the trigger. I like mine a lot. Best part about it is the trigger. Very smooth for any revolver manufacturer. I do believe it had some trigger work before I bought it second hand.

To make it even better, I bought it from Lou at Shooter's Discount. So you know it's a great firearm.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Taurus seems to have very uneven quality control. So some people will report no problems at all with theirs, others will say they are all junk. YMMV. You get a good one, you saved some $$$, you get a bad one, you are going to wish you spent the extra money just to avoid the hassle of shipping it back for service, etc.

I have a decent revolver from them that I didn't spend much money on. It has not given me a lick of trouble and is perfectly reliable. So I can't complain about mine, but not everybody has had my experience.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thinking about getting one in .44
    any thoughts good or bad?

I would go with a Ruger or Smith.

I've had too many hit or miss quality control issues with Taurus to ever trust them.

In Maine I had two friends with Raging Bulls. One in 44 and one in 454. The 454 was a total dog. Cylinder release was so sticky it would take a couple tries to get the cylinder to release. Timing was off and the general fit and finish was poor.

The 44 had a great trigger pull but the front sight went flying off during recoil and that was that. After a couple boxes of ammo it started acting up with the cylinder release as well.

I was at a IDPA match in Utah and a guy there was running a Taurus semi auto, a newer one. The thing literally fell apart mid way through the match. I know it's not a revolver but it still speaks, to me at least, of their spotty quality.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I had a Taurus semi and it was a jam o matic. I think a good rule of thumb is Most of their semi's are junk. And most of their revolvers are ok.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have one in 454. Maybe only 300 rounds through it in the 15 or so years I have had it but it has been solid. I have a Taurus lightweight 38 snub revolver that is a turd. Two of my friends have 454s from Ruger. They are less forgiving on recoil and one of those had issues right from the factory. If you have to count your pennies I would roll the dice on a Raging bull in 44. If cost isn't an issue buy a S&W.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom