• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Let's see those Hebrew hammers. What's your set up ?
    IwI Tavor. SAR
    16.5" barrel. MI m-lok rail. Built in tac light. 800 lumens, m-lok switch , yhm riser , Eotech 552, Eotech 3x magnifier, Samson fts mount , super sabra trigger. I'm stoked....... Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonnofabiatch!!!!!
    Darn AAC 51-T flash hider/ mount won't clear the hand guard without milling. Bummer. It was suppose to be my Tavor SD project.
    Off to the machineshop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 811

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Mine is just the way it came other then the goofy long flash hider. At some point, I'd like to try out the Meprolite 3x magnifier on it:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My pre-ban 18" Tavor. Nothing special, just a Mepro Tru-Dot RDS on the top. I plan on adding an Aimpoint magnifier when the commercial 3x version goes on sale.

tavor.jpg

And since the picture was in the same folder, here's my AUG A3 NATO with a TA01NSN.

aug a3 nato.jpg

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've had the HK for almost 1/4 century and I LOVE it. BUT....I have to say, the Tavor is probably the better rifle. Ask me in 23 years and I can give you a more informed and definitive answer.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I've had the HK for almost 1/4 century and I LOVE it. BUT....I have to say, the Tavor is probably the better rifle. Ask me in 23 years and I can give you a more informed and definitive answer.

I guess my only major gripe with the tavor is that it's not a modular rifle like most modern military rifles are. For example I purchased a left handed bolt for 1 when they came out. To replace the bolt you basically have to unbolt the stock from it to gain access to do it. Second is after I had done so I get a immediate e mail and letter from IWI telling me don't fire the gun because of head spacing issues. And I'm to send them the gun because things have to be shimmed to make it work? If it were a AUG I'd never have to do that . Even the MSAR is a simple swap. So in my mind what happens if you have a bolt failure ? Or need to replace 1. Does it require me to send it to the factory for repair? If it were a ar15 or a hk those kind of things can be handled by the guns owner. I love the look and feel of the tavor. But that has always bothered me since then about them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I guess my only major gripe with the tavor is that it's not a modular rifle like most modern military rifles are.
    You're getting very hung up on the barrel/headspacing issue. Yeah, it's not super-easy like the AR-15, ARX-160, or AUG, albeit ripping our your barrel QD-style is more of a parlor trick than a real necessity. The rest of the Tavor is extremely modular - moreso than the AUG. You can't flip the charging handle on an AUG... you can on a Tavor.

(The HKs are a pain to deal with for headspacing issues, and I was shocked that you'd bring them up as better in that regard.)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    You're getting very hung up on the barrel/headspacing issue. Yeah, it's not super-easy like the AR-15, ARX-160, or AUG, albeit ripping our your barrel QD-style is more of a parlor trick than a real necessity. The rest of the Tavor is extremely modular - moreso than the AUG. You can't flip the charging handle on an AUG... you can on a Tavor.

(The HKs are a pain to deal with for headspacing issues, and I was shocked that you'd bring them up as better in that regard.)

Well most HK from the factory are head spaced with the standard rollers. And there for not a issue replacing a bolt assy for headspacing. Now aftermarket is a whole nother can of worms. Maybe I'm just old school. But you can't hardly kill a hk or Aug. The tavor will write it's own history.

When I was talking modular I didn't mean changability of configuration. I meant parts group. I do know the trigger packs are very much that way on them but other components I'm not so sure of ?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well most HK from the factory are head spaced with the standard rollers. And there for not a issue replacing a bolt assy for headspacing.
    Screwing around with different-sized rollers to put an HK into proper headspace isn't my idea of fun, and can get expensive real quick for an end user. Did I mention that the HK will eventually shoot itself out of headspace sooner than you'd probably like? With the Tavor, you've got preset barrel/bolt combos (the carrier isn't the problem), which isn't cheap either, but is pretty foolproof.

And just so we're all clear, I own two roller-locked HK-alikes, so this is a topic of personal interest to me. :)

When I was talking modular I didn't mean changability of configuration. I meant parts group. I do know the trigger packs are very much that way on them but other components I'm not so sure of ?
    The Tavor's body and receiver are the same part, and you need a special wrench to pop the barrel... it's otherwise pretty similar to an AUG.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    the tavor podium is a nice accessory to the gun. the bipod installs with a simple allen wrench using a clamp and an insert that replaces the pistol grip cap.

the cap is removed by pushing on the two tabs at the same time then pulling the cap downwards. loosen the allen screw and remove the two halves of the podium mounting clamp. slide the podium extension into the grip. the locking tabs will engage. then install the two halves of the clamp and tighten the allen screw.

the legs of the bipod are spring loaded. they deploy by pushing a button on the rear of the podium. you can use the heel of your palm to press on the switch. the legs instantly deploy, with an action similar to a switchblade knife.

construction is mostly polymer and does not add substantial weight or upset the balance of the rifle.

Feb 28, 2013
    Mine is just the way it came other then the goofy long flash hider.

Other than the intolerable length of pull on them thangs, ain't nothin' wrong with what you got thar. Looks fine to me.:thumbsup:

Kinda looks like an M1A flash hider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom