• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenChem

Jul 6, 2010
    Baltimore
    This is the announcement for the March 19th TCSC 3 Gun match.

Register Here

We will be using the new Mid-Atlantic 3 Gun rules this year. Email 3gunattcsc@gmail.com for a copy. Scoring will be "FN scoring" with "time plus points" reporting.

Check in time on March 19th is 9 am sharp. Setup is March 18th at 2 pm...setup crew shoots for free. Everyone else pays $25. Expect 100 rds rifle, 50 shotgun (lead birdshot only), and 50 pistol. Bring extra.

We'll be testing the use of the rifle range this time with a short stage, mostly to work out the logistics of getting people there and back quickly without creating a bottleneck. In the future, we will stretch it out to 300 yards and make it a full stage with super exciting target presentations.

As always, ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

-Ben

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Can anyone shoot this or are there pre qualification steps?

Thanks

Dave

When you register, there will be a question that asks:

Have you shot any 3 gun, Multigun, DMG, 2-gun, IDPA/IPSC, SASS, etc? Have you been professionally required to use long guns and handguns?

If you answer yes, then you will likely be approved to shoot. I do not know what happens if you answer no.

300blkprs

Sergeant
    May 11, 2014
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    silly question, I never have done 3-gun, is the round count indicative of what we have to carry on us for each iteration with the respective weapon IE; carry 50 shotshells while using shotgun?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    silly question, I never have done 3-gun, is the round count indicative of what we have to carry on us for each iteration with the respective weapon IE; carry 50 shotshells while using shotgun?

Round count is what you are expected to need for the entire match. That said, the stated round count is rarely ever enough. As a general rule of thumb, I always bring roughly twice as much as is recommended but never shoot it all.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Is this beginner friendly? I have never done a 3 gun competition before, nor do i probably have the right set up shotgun.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Is this beginner friendly? I have never done a 3 gun competition before, nor do i probably have the right set up shotgun.

Not so much beginner friendly.

You might consider coming out to one the ARPC 3 Gun events at the AGC in Marriotsville. It is much more informal and there are many beginners there. The next event is on Sunday April 2 from 9 - 2 pm. Show up early (8:15 on the 200 Yard range) to help set up and you will be welcome to give it a try. There will be many folks there that will allow you to try out their shotguns.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Not so much beginner friendly.

You might consider coming out to one the ARPC 3 Gun events at the AGC in Marriotsville. It is much more informal and there are many beginners there. The next event is on Sunday April 2 from 9 - 2 pm. Show up early (8:15 on the 200 Yard range) to help set up and you will be welcome to give it a try. There will be many folks there that will allow you to try out their shotguns.

Thanks, do you need to register for the one at AGC on April 2? I have a semi auto shotgun set up for waterfowl, could i use that and just get a mag tube extension?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks, do you need to register for the one at AGC on April 2? I have a semi auto shotgun set up for waterfowl, could i use that and just get a mag tube extension?

No registration necessary - You could put an ext tube on your existing gun - Many have done this and then find themselves buying a new gun a few months later. Again, you will have the opportunity to try out guys guns at this event. Very low key.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    No registration necessary - You could put an ext tube on your existing gun - Many have done this and then find themselves buying a new gun a few months later. Again, you will have the opportunity to try out guys guns at this event. Very low key.

Awesome thanks, anything else you would recommend to bring for beginner in competition shooting?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Awesome thanks, anything else you would recommend to bring for beginner in competition shooting?

i'd start out with an idpa or uspsa match or two or three. just a lot easier to get the safety aspects down (finger outside triggerguard unless you are actually on target and ready to shoot, keeping the gun pointed generally downrange) while focusing on just one gun. all that said, if you're comfortable shooting all three guns, no reason a 3gun match can't be your first match.

i definitely wouldn't run out and get ANY gear or guns for or before your first match. bring what you got, and if it meets the need, fine, and if not, chances are someone will let you borrow a gun or gear and worst case you just spectate, ogle everything to see what might work for you, and ask lots of questions.

i started 3gun with a "normal" magazine tube and cargo pockets filled with shotshells. did that for two matches before i started accumulating gear such as a long tube, shell caddies and the like.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    i started 3gun with a "normal" magazine tube and cargo pockets filled with shotshells. did that for two matches before i started accumulating gear such as a long tube, shell caddies and the like.

I did the same - and then the spending began - and then never ended.

BenChem

Jul 6, 2010
    Baltimore
    Match Cancelled - Weather

Due to the recent storm, I'm going to have to cancel the match this coming Sunday. It's just too snowy and icy out there to pull off a full match.

Next match is April 16th...hope everyone can make it.

-Ben

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I'd like to shoot the April 16th match if possible. I am taking an IDPA/USPSA pistol intro and competitive training course next weekend. Would this be sufficient to qualify as "experience" to ease into the 3-Gun matches?

Matt

BenChem

Jul 6, 2010
    Baltimore
    mpickering, for an intro to 3gun, I strongly recommend you do a Fun Shoot with Gary Swope up at the York IWLA. He'll be able to get you set up with the skills needed for 3 gun. After that, you'll be able to shoot our matches just fine.

Link here. Scroll down and look on the right hand side to see info about the fun shoots. They're generally the 4th Saturday of the month.

-Ben

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    mpickering, for an intro to 3gun, I strongly recommend you do a Fun Shoot with Gary Swope up at the York IWLA. He'll be able to get you set up with the skills needed for 3 gun. After that, you'll be able to shoot our matches just fine.

Link here. Scroll down and look on the right hand side to see info about the fun shoots. They're generally the 4th Saturday of the month.

-Ben

Ben,

Thanks! Will do.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads