• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentj

Rather Be Shooting
    Jul 16, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I finally finished building my first AR this past week. With that being said, I need to learn how to shoot it. Anyone up to meeting me at Hap Baker this Sunday to show me the basics? I know my way arounds guns, but safety first and with a newborn baby at home, that is the most important thing to me.

Just let me know if anyone is willing to help a newbie out :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and 9 month old. I can assure you that the safest thing for the newborn over the years will be that the AR and all other guns are locked up. Both my 6 year old and 4 year old are very interested in the firearms.

I grew up with guns in the house and take it for granted that I know the safety rules by reflex and exactly how to use these guns. Years ago, I never would have thought that somebody would not know how to use an AR or any other gun for that matter. They all just seem so simple to figure out. However, I have run into newbie after newbie that has never been around a firearm and has absolutely no idea how to load one, much less fire one.

First thing to do at the range is to make sure your build works properly. Does the safety work? Does the round fire? Does the trigger reset? Obviously, you can test the safety at home on an unloaded rifle. The other issues will become obvious real quick. Did you test the chamber with go, no go gauges? Probably not necessary, but something that would be nice before firing it.

End of the day, be safe and have a great time.

silentj

Rather Be Shooting
    Jul 16, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thank you for the advice. My next purchase is a safe and a good one at that.

I know all to well about how things can go from fun to disaster in a heartbeat. When I was 6, my dad and I were shooting and a richohet hit my dad in the arm. Probably one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It could have been me. So I take gun safety very seriously.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You're in Westminster. If you PM me after 5 o,clock I can inspect the gun for safety and show you basic operation. Or call me after 5 at 443-605-8846.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Thank you for the advice. My next purchase is a safe and a good one at that.

I know all to well about how things can go from fun to disaster in a heartbeat. When I was 6, my dad and I were shooting and a richohet hit my dad in the arm. Probably one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It could have been me. So I take gun safety very seriously.

I'm curious as to how the ricochet happened.

May I suggest buying Magpul's DVD --- Art of the Tactical Carbine 1&2
    Basic Safety Test for an AR-15
    With the AR unloaded and pointed in a safe direction: WITH THE SAFETY ON --- Pull the trigger --- The sear should not break or the trigger should not have any creep.

WITH THE SAFETY OFF --- Pull the trigger --- The sear should break --- Do not release the trigger ---Pull back the charging handle to reset the disconnector --- Release the charging handle ---- Slowly release the trigger --- And you'll hear a click sound in the trigger group. I believe the click sound --- is the sear being reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom