• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Elk Neck State Forest Pistol Range announces
    temporary closure during weekdays in July and August

North East, Md. (June 30, 2015) — The pistol range at Elk Neck State Forest will be closed Monday through Friday from July 27, 2015 through August 28, 2015 to complete two maintenance projects to improve the safety of the range. The pistol range will operate on normal hours Saturday and Sunday which is 9:00 am to Sunset. There will be no disruption of services to the rifle, shotgun or archery ranges at the Forest.

During the days the pistol range is closed, visitors are reminded that pistols and revolvers may not be used at the remaining ranges in accordance with the posted range regulations. For more information, please contact the Forest office at (410) 287-5675 or visit the Forest website at http://dnr2.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/publiclands/central_elkneckforest.aspx.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    What is going to happen during this maintenance project?

Can I add my two cents.

This year is the first year I have not gotten my year pass to Elk Neck. Last time I went was shortly after the renovations last year where IMO the range shortening just consisted of haphazardly dumping a new berm in place.

The reason I stopped going was because I showed up there to shoot at the pistol range. There were 2 people were on the range and I was walking down right behind a third. The two that were there both had their targets set up right in the middle of 2 of the 3 sections between baffle posts and one of the guys had their equipment spread out across the whole section in the overhang.

So the group that was in front of me was coming down with their target set up and lo and behold on the third opening between baffle posts they did the same thing.

Well after I got set up and the range went cold I couldn't get anyone to move. I was at a range that accommodated at the least 6 lanes and I couldn't shoot. left and never went back.

There are stories of how bad things are with no oversight but I had never seen it except for one idiot that was lined up on the rifle range cockeyed and the baffle lined up directly in his fire line behind the target.

I have blamed this on two things. The crappy job done on shortening part of the range makes the lanes seem smaller and people setup accordingly

Second, I have never once been asked for my range pass since I have shot there. I am almost sure, and yes it is a gut thing that one of those groups did not have a range pass. I think it is widely known that range passes are insignificant there when no one asks for them. It is an honor system but those systems still only work if they are checked up on occasionally. I also don't like the fact that these type of people are making it less enjoyable to shoot there and even keeping me from getting a space to shoot there. Especially when I diligently pay every year.

So I have just quit going there. I would rather pay to head up to Targetmaster and as far as rifles go, the" only at the bench" makes me feel like I get nothing out of it even I am shooting much longer there than I am at Targetmaster.

I also see the post here about help on the 13th. Last time when I offered up help after reading a post by a park employee on the unofficial facebook page for the range on getting some cleanup help I private messaged them and never heard word one back. I made it clear on where I was located and how much I liked the range and I would be willing to help keep the range in nice shape when things like this came up and in turn I got nothing no reply.

So if I seem sour, yeah I am a little but hey, I just want some place safe and courteous to go to shoot and if I offer up my help a simple thanks we don't need it acknowledgement would be good if that was the case.

Last edited:

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I'd pay 100 a year if there was someone there more. A couple days ago I was on the rifle range, range was hot but at the moment quiet when all of a sudden I realize there is a truck driving downdange right of the baffles! Had I been focused on my scope or downrange I may have started firing as we had not gone cold. I assume the driver saw we were quiet but we were not cold. I had rounds loaded.

The rules don't mean much with no one there.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For a $100 a year you can join Southern Lancaster County Farmer's Sportsmen's Association and have access to a much better range with fewer stupid people.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I am not looking to setup a checkpoint or to go or make it seem like it is a "Where are your Paper" checkpoint but I know that I have been going there and have never been asked for my range pass. I know that others have figured thgis out too. The thing that is different with them and me is that those that are the type not to pay because they know they can get away with it are the ones that will show no respect for the range and no courtesy to their fellow shooters there.

If they made a halfassed effort to ask for range passes and word got out you could probably eliminate a fair amount of abuse that that range takes and instead of spending so much time in downtime and maintenance along with the repair costs, we could have something we are happy with.

I have one idea, I am sure that given there are guns involved and given the fact that RSO are voluntary with limited power, It should be mandatory that range passes are displayed at all times either like a hunting license in a sleeve on your person or on a post at whichever lane your shooting. Then a cursory walk through would see who has and who has not and those that don't might be more prone to stay away.

I know this was a notice about the range being closed but I have been actually entertaining the thought of going back. But now the fact that they are closing the pistol range for such a long time and I can't go during week when you have the best chance of avoiding the problem childs, that idea has gone right out the window. I just want to put my two cents in on what thoughts come up to me on this notice of range down times and let people know why I am no longer happy to support my local and closest range.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    I think a lot of us feel the same way as you...I gotta feeling that another incident will happen and eventually, they'll either tighten things up or close it down. It has been ridiculous with the "newbies" and out of State visitors (some of you know what I'm talking about).

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    We will be shortening the entire pistol range down to 25 yards. It will involve removing the retaining wall and extending the berm and eyebrow over all 6 lanes.

Secondly, we will be eliminating the "blue sky" sight from the firing line.

At the same time, Cecil County will be doing construction behind the range on their property.

The facebook page is not owned nor managed by the forest. Apologies if a message was lost somewhere. The easiest way to communicate with the forest is by calling the office.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    With respect to the other concerns, I would suggest a town hall type meeting with all that want to attend. That way, you can ask a question or voice a concern and we will answer and explain in detail. If one is asked that we cannot answer, we will get the answer for you.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We will be shortening the entire pistol range down to 25 yards. It will involve removing the retaining wall and extending the berm and eyebrow over all 6 lanes.

Secondly, we will be eliminating the "blue sky" sight from the firing line.

At the same time, Cecil County will be doing construction behind the range on their property.

The facebook page is not owned nor managed by the forest. Apologies if a message was lost somewhere. The easiest way to communicate with the forest is by calling the office.

I haven't shot at Elk Neck for several years, so it really doesn't affect me, but what possible advantage would there be to shortening that range?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    With respect to the other concerns, I would suggest a town hall type meeting with all that want to attend. That way, you can ask a question or voice a concern and we will answer and explain in detail. If one is asked that we cannot answer, we will get the answer for you.

I would attend such an event to discuss the range

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So many muzzle sweeps - So little time.

I think a town hall meeting is a fantastic idea.

There has to be some way of keeping the least common denominators and local village idiots from screwing things up for everyone.

My suggestion: The purchasing of an annual pass is required. Period! A person can't go hunting or fishing one day at a time.

And as others have stated, it must be posted while shooting there.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    So many muzzle sweeps - So little time.

I think a town hall meeting is a fantastic idea.

There has to be some way of keeping the least common denominators and local village idiots from screwing things up for everyone.

My suggestion: The purchasing of an annual pass is required. Period! A person can't go hunting or fishing one day at a time.

And as others have stated, it must be posted while shooting there.

There is. We are always in need of volunteer range safety officers. The more we have, hopefully the better experience you will have.

Our current group is exceptional but they are too few and have other commitments outside of the range.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    ENSF, thank you for the reply.

It is just sad that we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. I know it is a problem for you guys too and you want to make it better.

BTW, I did not reply to the Non Official Page. I private Msged on facebook to a poster there with the first name starting with an S:innocent0.

If we are going to keep this thing going then we need to keep the dedicated community involved with the continuing stewardship of the range.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    As far as I know, SLCFSA membership is currently closed ( capped ).

Yes it is closed for this year except for active Military, LEO's and other first responders. However every year some members do not renew so as of January 1st there are always openings, but you have to move quickly. There has been some discussion of removing or increasing the cap because the new electronic gate system is doing a better job of keeping nonmembers who are not guests out. The old combination lock combination got passed around to to many friends and neighbors.

The matches they hold are open to the public as is the indoor Junior Air Rifle program. Here is a link to the web site with the calender and membership information:
    http://www.slcfsa.com/

If you go to Bing Maps (742 Hollow Road, New Providence, PA. 17560) and click on Birdseye view you can see some of the facilities:
    https://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9Mzku...ldyUyMFByb3ZpZGVuY2UlMkMlMjBQQS4lMjAxNzU2MA==

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom