Temporary transfer/store with an out of state FFL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, this is probably an odd question, but could you temporarily store a handgun with an out of state FFL, or would that need to be a transfer because it is sitting in their safe/store? I am assuming if yes, then they couldn't transfer it back to you.

So, what I am trying to figure out here is next summer I am looking to DRIVE out to New Mexico and drive from there up through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana before driving back. There is a chance we may head from Glacier National Park up into Canada for a couple of days. This will be mostly visiting national parks. Some camping. Some staying in hotels/lodges. Especially as it relates to the camping, but some on the hiking, I'd like to carry a handgun with me appropriate for bear defense. That is going to be an absolute no go with Canada. I don't need that fight with my wife and kids "sorry guys, we can't go to Canada because Dad decided it was safer to carry a handgun for bears and mountain lions".

The only two options I can think of are ship it home, but I won't be home for 5-6 days when I'd be hitting the Canadian border (I am figuring 2-3 days in Canada, then 2-3 day drive back to Maryland from there at the end of the trip). The other thoughts I can think of are some sort of small storage locker somewhere in Montana and swinging by on the way back. Or have an FFL store it for me temporarily.

Any thoughts on this? Options that might work or I haven't thought of? Anyone do something like this and have any experience. It may turn out we don't do Canada at all, which would sure save worrying about it. And as it is, call it about 3 day drive out and 3 day drive back, and even with no stops its a solid 2 day drive from south to north. That is maybe 3 days in each state, which isn't too bad. Especially since I think odds are we'd probably do 2 days in New Mexico and 2 in Montana, leaving really like 4 in Colorado and 4 in Wyoming. Planning this as a 3 week trip. A spare day in there somewhere. And we might be able to trim a day off, or half a day off one of the directions in the drive (it is looking like ~27hrs drive out, 30hrs back assuming no traffic. I'd prefer not to do more than 10hrs of driving any of those days, though I'd be willing to do 12-14hrs that last stretch home and the first stretch out to leave a couple of hours the last two days to make some stops to see some stuff on the way out/home).

Visiting Canada I am assuming would add 3-4 days, which pushes the trip to well over 3 weeks (and a longer drive home) and I am hoping to keep it to 3 weeks or less. I have the vacation time for one really big trip next summer, but that is a heck of a long time to find someone, or multiple people, to watch my cats, chickens, make sure all of the bill paying gets done, mow the lawn while we are gone (probably have to get a lawn service for a few weeks or see if I can talk my brother-in-law in to coming by and mow it once in there), etc. So 3 weeks even might be pushing it too long.

Anyway, since it is on the table, just trying to figure out possibilities.

Thanks.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Bring a 6 mill poly bag and a shovel.
    Pull off the road, dig hole, bury, go to Canada.
    Repeat in reverse order when returning.

You would not be the 1st person to do that.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Have you looked to see what you can bring into Canada and the process to do so?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’ve never been in that situation, but I’d imagine it’s somewhat similar to a gunsmith where you drop your gun off in the custody of another, then pick it up later.

Alternatively, you could justify some new sights on your gun by dropping it off at a gunsmith to have the work done while you’re in Canada.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have you looked to see what you can bring into Canada and the process to do so?
    Restricted firearm, which include all handguns may only be brought in to the country for target shooting or traveling through the country. They may not be brought in for hunting or wildlife protection.

And it requires more restrictive documentation and process to bring in.

Also Canada banned the import, transfer, sale and purchase of all handguns a month ago until the fall when they have a chance to ban handguns fully. I am pretty sure this would be considered an import by what customs considers it, even if it isn’t staying. They do NOT want handguns in their country.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Restricted firearm, which include all handguns may only be brought in to the country for target shooting or traveling through the country. They may not be brought in for hunting or wildlife protection.

And it requires more restrictive documentation and process to bring in.

Also Canada banned the import, transfer, sale and purchase of all handguns a month ago until the fall when they have a chance to ban handguns fully. I am pretty sure this would be considered an import by what customs considers it, even if it isn’t staying. They do NOT want handguns in their country.
    Roger that. I saw it possible but wasn't sure of the specifics.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Call some FFL's near the CA border. You're not the first person to leave a handgun for a cleaning.
    That was my thought too.

You can legally ship a firearm to yourself to an out of state address. Instead of checking it as baggage.

If you don’t find a good answer, I be that would make for a fine business opportunity.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Never had the Canadian issue but when down south, more than a few arizona and Texas 07s are willing to work on guns for out of staters (gunsmithing, not consignment, so no nics) and they often find nothing wrong with the firearm but since they did spend time on it, I find it only fair to pay them for an hour of their time......just so happened that business scheduling made it impossible to pick the gun back up for a few days.

Find an 07 or 10 license holder near your expected border crossing. Call them and see if they do functional inspections, cleanings, etc.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The ammunition for your handgun might also cause talk when the Mounties find it.

There's no end to the problems Canada can provide, and you aren't even a subject of the Crown. . . . Wife and kids? Accessories before, during and after the fact?

It's the job of governments to find/create problems they can then solve. It makes them feel necessary and important.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Never had the Canadian issue but when down south, more than a few arizona and Texas 07s are willing to work on guns for out of staters (gunsmithing, not consignment, so no nics) and they often find nothing wrong with the firearm but since they did spend time on it, I find it only fair to pay them for an hour of their time......just so happened that business scheduling made it impossible to pick the gun back up for a few days.

Find an 07 or 10 license holder near your expected border crossing. Call them and see if they do functional inspections, cleanings, etc.
    That is an excellent suggestion, thanks!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That is an excellent suggestion, thanks!
    You are welcome. There's nothing I need or want in Canada but mexico can have certain appeal. It may be somewhat lawless but it is MUCH easier to acquire an "open market" firearm there and get rid of it prior to return to the states than it is to smuggle one into mexico from the states.

For the right prices, the Mexican side of the border crossing will "permit" you to enter but on return, the USCBP guys are much less accommodating. They look at the problem in a much less entrepreneurial way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom