Texans block bill, why couldnt we do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I know this has nothing to do with MD 2A discussions but why could we not have shown this passion when SB281 was begin rammed down out throats? The situation was similar to ours where the republicans were attempting to force an abortion bill which severely restricted how abortions were carried out. People screamed and drowned out the proceedings until the Lt. Governor called the session over. Given the sheer numbers present at the hearings and outside, I think that this could have been accomplished.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/texas-abortion-bill/index.html

obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games
    Except they were trying to pass a bill before the deadline of midnight while here they passed it with plenty of time left. Unless we all wanted to be kicked out daily from the chamber. That would have been comical.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    It seems to me that the difference is that if anyone in the gallery here made a vocal expression either of support or against, the MSP gave one, maybe two warnings and then removed the person. this seemed to be directed more at the opponents of 281, but it is hard to say since there were so few proponents in attendance, except at the end when MOM brought in a number of his supporters, and entered the gallery to greet them. I did not see the MSP warn any of them, though.
    the other comment I have is that liberals, lacking substantive arguments tend to try to out Shout and talk over conservatives as they put out logical, fact based arguments- just watch the panel on the talking head shows and see the obvious different tactics.
    Sad part is that it works- we need to get more emotional and offer more anecdotal, feel good, victim based testimony/press. Conservatives, as we have seen in the tea party rally's, and the pro 2A presence in Annapolis, are way more considerate, disciplined and respectful. Compare that to the "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrators around the country.
    What I don't understand is how Texas allowed the mob to get so out of control, or why the speaker didn't just continue the roll call vote- it would have been difficult, but not impossible, I would think. Where was the Texas state police, or whomever provides legislative security?

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    At the very end, right before final passage of the revised bill in the Senate, we tried to do exactly that. Myself, Teratos, Andi, Shannon, and a few others were literally feeding people on the floor stuff to read.

They got cut off.

Welcome to Maryland.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My guess is that there are not enough R votes in the Texas Senate to end a filibuster or the leadership could not get enough votes.

We attempted to filibuster SB281, but there simply were not enough votes in the Senate to sustain the filibuster.

That is why election 2014 is so important. With 2-3 more Senate votes, we could have sustained a filibuster.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    There were not enough votes (by 2) to end the fillibuster

The reason it wouldnt work here as well is that the R and the DINO in the Senate are to interested in retaining office and not interested enough in the peoples business. So they arent going to go all jihadi and win by losing (see the US house for an example of this) and rock their gravy train.

Which is why I cant support the PACs that came out of S281....unless we are dedicated to removing everyone (without care as to who comes in next) who votes against us, we cant win. Take out Dumais, sure we get another liberal, but we send a message that you dont vote against 2a and keep your job.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    At the very end, right before final passage of the revised bill in the Senate, we tried to do exactly that. Myself, Teratos, Andi, Shannon, and a few others were literally feeding people on the floor stuff to read.

They got cut off.

Welcome to Maryland.

In the gallery we were told and clapping or cheering they had orders to close the gallery.

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The capital of Texas is Austin...which is about as Liberal as San Francisco. The police there, even the Capitol Police, have been known to arrest people for legally carrying weapons. My guess is that the Lt. Governor didn't want it to turn into a riot, and probably didn't trust the Capitol Police remove the protestors anyway.

The bottom line is that Liberals can get away with stuff like this, but Conservatives would be demonized for it.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The capital of Texas is Austin...which is about as Liberal as San Francisco. The police there, even the Capitol Police, have been known to arrest people for legally carrying weapons. My guess is that the Lt. Governor didn't want it to turn into a riot, and probably didn't trust the Capitol Police remove the protestors anyway.

The bottom line is that Liberals can get away with stuff like this, but Conservatives would be demonized for it.

I beg to differ on your assertion if arresting for gun possession. One if my best friends is an APD officer and even in Austin the PD is very pro CCW. May there be a few rouge LEO's in the department, sure, but its not widespread.

You are correct about the flower children inhabiting much of the city though.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    My guess is that there are not enough R votes in the Texas Senate to end a filibuster or the leadership could not get enough votes.

We attempted to filibuster SB281, but there simply were not enough votes in the Senate to sustain the filibuster.

That is why election 2014 is so important. With 2-3 more Senate votes, we could have sustained a filibuster.

As I read the newspaper reports, they did have and did end the fillibuster, but the gallery spectators made such a disturbance that it became impossible to retain control and to hear the votes on the bill itself. Even so, it was reported that enough conservative legislators swarmed the podium and registered their votes that the measure passed, but that by then, the governor, who was present, was not able to sign the legislation before midnight.
    It was also reported the state senators called for security to remove the protestors, but security refused to act.
    The democrats crowed that this was "democracy at work". I fail to see how anarchy equates to democracy. It is actually the antithesis. But what can one expect with the condition of our education system where "environmental literacy" classes are mandated to students who can't read above a 5th grade level. with this trend comes even more reason to be armed for more than just hunting.
    The Texas governor is calling a special session to pass the bill.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

All we needed was one... His name is Jim Brochin!

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    I know this has nothing to do with MD 2A discussions but why could we not have shown this passion when SB281 was begin rammed down out throats? The situation was similar to ours where the republicans were attempting to force an abortion bill which severely restricted how abortions were carried out. People screamed and drowned out the proceedings until the Lt. Governor called the session over. Given the sheer numbers present at the hearings and outside, I think that this could have been accomplished.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/texas-abortion-bill/index.html

I hate them all, but Democrats have always played the political game better than Republicans, maybe because they have no shame.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    As I read the newspaper reports, they did have and did end the fillibuster, but the gallery spectators made such a disturbance that it became impossible to retain control and to hear the votes on the bill itself. Even so, it was reported that enough conservative legislators swarmed the podium and registered their votes that the measure passed, but that by then, the governor, who was present, was not able to sign the legislation before midnight.
    It was also reported the state senators called for security to remove the protestors, but security refused to act.
    The democrats crowed that this was "democracy at work". I fail to see how anarchy equates to democracy. It is actually the antithesis. But what can one expect with the condition of our education system where "environmental literacy" classes are mandated to students who can't read above a 5th grade level. with this trend comes even more reason to be armed for more than just hunting.
    The Texas governor is calling a special session to pass the bill.

This is not how a republic does the business of the people. When a vocal mob can infringe on the elected representatives doing business, that is anarchy. Some believe that is OK if it supports their point of view. The vote, had it been valid, would have passed the legislation with an ample majority, hence the disturbance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom