• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I would like to publicly thank my informal shooting coach, Fivepointstar.

Today, I put his lessons to the ultimate test. I am very nearsighted. I took my glasses OFF, handed them to a buddy and shot without them. I focused on the front sight and not the target and put six rounds not in a circular group, but in a line, connected, resembling a caterpiller. I could not even see the target. I had no idea of where my rounds were hitting until I was done. THIS is what it's all about. I get it now. Thank you, my friend.

For the record- I was shooting single action. .357 Magnum loads from about 10 yards. I could a white blur within a target stand, and that was about it.

My buddy was dumbfounded and just said "You may want to look at that target with your glasses on."

My target is on the LEFT. In the center circle, at the five o'clock position is my neat little line of shots.

561383_10151753500240585_691460584_24634839_1496913213_n.jpg

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    perhaps you were working on your "shotgun pumping motion":lol2:

just as long as you don't make the "cha-chick" shotgun sound evertime you pump :lol2:

It'd be hard to explain why you're making train sounds in the computer room all the time.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I'm a bit confused. When you say you were focusing on the front sight I assume you weren't just staring at that and shooting blindly? Were you putting more focus on aligning the sights? Sorry, I'm a bit new to the shooting game myself. I like to pick up tips as often as possible ;)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm a bit confused. When you say you were focusing on the front sight I assume you weren't just staring at that and shooting blindly? Were you putting more focus on aligning the sights? Sorry, I'm a bit new to the shooting game myself. I like to pick up tips as often as possible ;)

It's not shooting blindly, per se. I can best describe it like this- the target is always in sight. In your field of vision, you see the target AND the front sight of the gun. Like setting the depth of field on a camera lens, you focus on the front sight and not on the target. You can still SEE the target, but your focus is on a level sight plane. There is a straight line from your eye, down your arm, the top of your thumb, the top of the gun and down the barrel. You are focusing on a straight line that is, at most, three feet- not 10 yards.

I took it to another level by taking my glasses off. I could still "see" the target, but I was forced to focus on the front sight. Each shot went EXACTLY where I wanted it to, every time. I'm not blind as a bat, but I forced my view of the target to be blurry by design. I HAD to use the front sight. There was no room for my depth of field to shift.

There is probably someone here who can explain it much better than I can- probably one of the professional instructors.

Last edited:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thank you, Mr Miyagi.

Oh, BTW, I finally figured out that it's "Wax on- Wax off"....not "Whack". :sad20:

WTF, dude? I knew that had nothing to do with my accuracy.:lol2:

perhaps you were working on your "shotgun pumping motion":lol2:

just as long as you don't make the "cha-chick" shotgun sound evertime you pump :lol2:

I knew this thread had something to do with the "Hook-Up" between SGJ and FPS. Can one imagine all the wonderful things they did to each other with their "pumping motion" and making "cha-chick" sounds amongst other sounds.................. That's all I'm sayin'.:innocent0:lol2:

is that FPS target on the right? :D

Well???

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

My son is ever so slightly nearsighted. For about 2yrs I could not figure out why he was fine with open sights at 25yds but could not hit anything at 50+yds. He was fine with optics but not open sights. Then when he shot a gun with aperature sights and was fine. Now I have many of my guns fitted with aperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom