• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Then ask the epa to stop all the nonsense about ' no safe level'.

Lead is not the hazard we imagine it to be. Most lead issues come from old plumbing. Best solution is filtered water. But baning lead in plumbing solder increase cost leading to more old plumbing not being repaired. More to the point it does nothing for other toxins.

So a cheap effective solution is passed over in favor of a costly less effective or even counter efective non solutions..

Now fix the epa if you can . If not kill it so we can afford evironmentalism..

Actually I've worked a bit on lead remediation sites. Paint and leftovers from regular (leaded) gas are the big sources today.

EPA sets a lot of cleanup levels ridiculously low. For example, the cleanup level for arsenic is lower then background levels throughout most of Pa.

Cleanup technology for airborne's is a little different. This is a cost issue more then a cleanup issue. The company feels like it doesn't want to make the investment and EPA is the easy scapegoat. There is a deeper story here then just the regulation.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Actually I've worked a bit on lead remediation sites. Paint and leftovers from regular (leaded) gas are the big sources today.

EPA sets a lot of cleanup levels ridiculously low. For example, the cleanup level for arsenic is lower then background levels throughout most of Pa.

Cleanup technology for airborne's is a little different. This is a cost issue more then a cleanup issue. The company feels like it doesn't want to make the investment and EPA is the easy scapegoat. There is a deeper story here then just the regulation.

What is the safe level for airborne release?

Does the cost to reduce airborne lead vary directly with the levels or does the cost increase exponentially as you approach the mythical safe level?

Does the act of making lead production uneconomical cause lead use to go to zero? Or does it just displace production elsewhere.

I really don't know these answers. But based on EPA MO I would be a fool, as business owner, not to cut my losses and let EPA do the clean up after I went bankrupt.. That's what corporations are for ...

Is the perfect the enemy of the good when doing environmental regulation?

Last edited:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    CheaperThanDirt chimes in

Pollution and shipping jobs off-shore aside, back to the issue at hand ...

Getting the Lead Out — of the Entire U.S.?

According to the NRA, Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air-quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

{Cheaper Than Dirt! has sent requests for comment to many of the major bullet and ammunition makers, and one has responded so far ... Sierra Bullets Plant Engineer Darren} Leskiw said, “Could the lack of primary lead create a little more demand for recycled lead? Sure, but how much is unknown. Could this increase in demand also create an increase in price? Sure, but again, by how much is unknown at this time. There are many other primary lead smelters in the world, so the flow of primary lead will not be shut off.”

So again, what exactly is it you're advocating? The EPA enforces laws, it doesn't make them.
    You are either being disingenuous or are misinformed. Correct, the EPA did not make the law at 42 U.S.C. 7401; the Clean Air Act. But the law charges the EPA to set the National Ambient Air Quality Standards. Congress does not set them, they are regulation not law.

So in the case of Doe Run, new standards at 40 CFR 50.12 issued by the EPA, not a change in the law led them to close the facility.

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    From "rule of law" to "law of rules". Don't remember where I read it but the phase describes today's laws.

Right, the EPA is nothing more than a self policing, government funded environmental advocacy organization, whose job it is to not only regulate laws, but to impress upon political figure heads - with the support of environmental lobbiest - that certain standards need to be met, which puts into motion the creation of new and often overbearing laws.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Remember GWB was demonized for NOT signing Kyoto because China and India were excluded from following it. IIRC many of the scientists try make it look like the USA put more pollutants into the air more than those two "emerging" economies. When some independent researches stated that if the USA signed Kyoto and cut its pollutant emissions to zero the total would reduction would have been 5-10%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom