• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The bullpup trigger done right.

The main concern about bullpups is the “not so nice when compared to the AR trigger “rant. It is true. Bullpups suffer from that inherent flaw . The triggers usually Suck. ( for a lack of a better term)some suck more than others. But they do suck in general. Stinks and crap are also appropriate descriptions.

That “ suck” comes from a design which puts the trigger itself way out front of the hammer and sear . The trigger on pups are usually connected to the sear by means of a long and often complex mechanism of connecting rods or bars. The addition of moving parts add to trigger weight. These add to friction as well. So in the end. You get a long and heavy trigger pull with some creep.

Until some engineer decided to redesign the decades old concept of connecting bars and sear packs.

Keltec ( the cardieB of guns) has come up with a new design in bullpup triggers. Instead of connecting the trigger to a long connecting arm that in turn actuates the sear.

They’ve actually decided to locate the sear right where it should be, within close proximity to the trigger itself. Then they designed the hammer to be operated by a simple linkage of cams and springs. Then relocated that behind the mag well. That resulted in a traditional trigger feel( single stage, 4lb break,no creep and short tactile reset)this configuration rivals good AR triggers. That is amazing from a bullpup rifle.

Thinking outside of the box definitely paid off.
    So , hats off to the engineers at keltec. They’ve solved the crappy trigger typeset that plagues the bullpup world.

Note: if I told you that bullpup triggers suck. Then let your shoot the RDB. You would say with a straight face that I’m lying. For the RDB has one of the best factory triggers out there.not just for a bullpup, but for a modern sporting rifle in general.

Attachments

• 6CCC2D2B-F481-4D55-B983-6AE648F3308D.jpg
      6CCC2D2B-F481-4D55-B983-6AE648F3308D.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 900

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Did the Mcarbo spring on mine. Mine came with a little heavier pull at about 5.5# out of the box, but with the kit, it's a nice 2 stage that feels really close to a SSA-E, 2# takeup, 3.5# break. Suppresses wonderfully between the adjustable gas, and backpressure venting out of the ejection port or out front near the piston, there is 0 in the face with no real port bark.

20200316_144842.jpg

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    the triggers on my desert tech MDR's actually seem pretty nice. the 1 on my 86S isnt bad either.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't know if the trigger on the RDB is the same as the one on the RFB, but the RFB has a really nice trigger.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't know if the trigger on the RDB is the same as the one on the RFB, but the RFB has a really nice trigger.
    The RFB's trigger pull is indeed really nice. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to get good accuracy out of it because the gun is only consistently 1.5 MOA at best, even with real match ammo. Have been thinking about switching to a prism optic (maybe a demo Sig Bravo4?), which feels like underkill on a 24" gun, but is realistically about as well as it does accuracy-wise.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Investment Advisor SCAR told me at least ten years ago to get class III stuff - it's only going one way - UP!
    and it has outperformed the market.
    Good to see you posting again!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The RFB's trigger pull is indeed really nice. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to get good accuracy out of it because the gun is only consistently 1.5 MOA at best, even with real match ammo. Have been thinking about switching to a prism optic (maybe a demo Sig Bravo4?), which feels like underkill on a 24" gun, but is realistically about as well as it does accuracy-wise.
    A buddy has one with an accupower 1-8 and it's a pretty sweet setup. I think his is the 18" model though. Every time I shoot his I start shopping for them online.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A buddy has one with an accupower 1-8 and it's a pretty sweet setup. I think his is the 18" model though. Every time I shoot his I start shopping for them online.
    The Accupower 1-8 makes every gun seem awesome, it's a pretty sweet LPVO. It really comes down to "what do you do with a long rifle that's not really all that accurate in modern terms?" Dumping a $850 optic on it just seems like overkill. Mine has a Chinese-made 3-12 on it, and while I'm trying to replace my Chinese optics, I don't know that it's worth it...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Accupower 1-8 makes every gun seem awesome, it's a pretty sweet LPVO. It really comes down to "what do you do with a long rifle that's not really all that accurate in modern terms?" Dumping a $850 optic on it just seems like overkill. Mine has a Chinese-made 3-12 on it, and while I'm trying to replace my Chinese optics, I don't know that it's worth it...
    Without getting into the specifics of this guy, his collection is very large and he can afford nice optics (or NVGs or thermal or whatever he wants) on anything he wants. And he can take advantage of it too. Great friend and great shooter.

I understand the dilemma with where to spend your money. Personally I think the RFB is a fun gun with a good amount of practical accuracy, and very low recoil. I'd be tempted to put a good 1-6 or 1-8 on it just because it is a good capability match, but a lightweight 2-10ish would be great too. Maybe offset a red dot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Oh, I'm not questioning the decision to put a good LPVO on the 18" version, it's figuring out what to do with the long-ass 24" version that's tricky.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Oh, I'm not questioning the decision to put a good LPVO on the 18" version, it's figuring out what to do with the long-ass 24" version that's tricky.
    SBR, cut down to non lame length, use 1-6?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SBR, cut down to non lame length, use 1-6?
    I think SBR'ing an RFB would cause serious cycling issues given where the gas port is. Relocating that would be a major endeavor. Of course, it would also not be MD legal, given that the 18.5" version is already < 29".

Only way you could cut the 24" version down enough to become short enough to use as a bullpup battle rifle is to do a pin-and-weld, and the RFB is a tough one to remove the barrel from to do that correctly (ie, with concentric threads). I guess I could call Kel-Tec and ask if they'd chop the rifle to a 21" barrel, but it would still be on the long side.

Funny thing is, I'd pay some good money to just put in a Criterion barrel at the same length, because it's a whole different ballgame if the gun is reliably sub-MOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom