The Chiappa Rhino, the roster and something is telling me not to buy one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    I figured a while back after renting a lot of guns that I wanted a weird, unique gun to start my collection with. After a lot of research I settled on the Chiappa Rhino which.. honestly on their first production runs were absolute garbage. It seems they ran the things very quickly through production and had tons of issues. I have seen 1) The mechanisms inside dislocating and coming off their rails when the gun is dropped 2) Several malfunctions causing unintentional discharges 3) Parts cracking and breaking on the gun 4) The trigger mechanism jamming entirely after only a hundred rounds or so.

Some gun shops have even told me they refuse to sell them entirely due to that first run. Subsequent runs according to some folks were much better in terms of build quality. To top it all off the Customer service at Chiappa does not appear to communicate but often does not charge for services when they actually receive the revolver.

It's also overpriced.

However, according to anecdotal evidence and my furious searching on Google by restricting to results within the last year it appears the Rhino is now much better in build quality. I tried to buy one back in December and had my order canceled at buds due to an "inventory error". This year it also now comes in a convertible and 40 S&W 6 inch version. I still wanted to buy one due to novelty and noticed my local shop had the 6 inch S&W 40 on their website. I found a discount code for the gun online and requested an FFL transfer from another retailer. My mistake was not looking for the gun on the roster and just looking at my local gun shop website.

Turns out the thing isn't on the roster in that caliber. The shop has offered to hold onto the gun until it is and they called MDSP for me and setup a petition to have it added and expect to have it added soon. Given that I'm a moron for buying this breakable thing because it looks cool what should I expect from the roster process? Does anyone else have a newer production rhino, if so what do you think about it?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It will be approved when reviewed. Prepare to wait. Once the petition paperwork is submitted, expect the process to take three months. Even after it's approved by the review board, there's a waiting period (30 days IIRC) for the public to object before it's added to the roster.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Crazy that you have to wait for the same gun in a different caliber. I bought my cz p09 in .40 when only 9mm was on the roster and it was approved...

edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    I didn't even know they made those funny looking things in .40? Learn something new everyday.

It is a newer model along with the new 9mm and convertible versions. Whomever they have in charge of marketing for Chiappa branded stuff in the states needs to be fired.

It will be approved when reviewed. Prepare to wait. Once the petition paperwork is submitted, expect the process to take three months. Even after it's approved by the review board, there's a waiting period (30 days IIRC) for the public to object before it's added to the roster.
    I am expecting a long haul I shouldn't have said soon. However 3 months whew that's going to hurt in the warranty department. Thank you thought that's the clearest explanation I've gotten.

Crazy that you have to wait for the same gun in a different caliber. I bought my cz p09 in .40 when only 9mm was on the roster and it was approved...
    They may overlook it, however, I was at a gun shop in Cumberland as I was passing through and mentioned this to the owner. Apparently he had a similar situation a few years back and Maryland state police caught it sometime later and showed up at the persons door to confiscate it until it was sorted. Stuff like that makes me paranoid.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're in the market for a Taurus Curve, too....
    Thank you for the warm welcomes and what the hell that thing looks like a plastic gun left on the dash for too long in the summer. I think I am in the market that's weird as hell.

edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    You know in starting to realize that now that I have found moon clips for the Rhino are impossible to find. Fragile nature of thr gun and terrible customer service aside this is rediculous. They supply 3 as it has to use them for rimless 40 s&w cartridges. However their website is usually sold out of them and sells them for $3.5 a pop as they come in from Italy.

Can't use standard 10mm s&w 610 moon clips because of the size difference. Chiappa does however recommend you buy tk moon clips for $10 each. Right. So unless you want to very slowly reload at the range (IE spend all your precious NRA range hour reloading) you have to spend quite a pretty penny on tiny rings of metal that are found at one supplier online.

Obviously I've bought that dang thing and mainly for the novelty value but this is an oversight that keeps you from using the gun correctly.

edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    TK sells a .40 10-pack for $75. TK is well regarded and their clips are probably made better than ones from Chiappa.
    http://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=223&cat=Rhino+Moonclips

These were the ones I was avoiding. So im guessing the cost is worth 10x the price for durabity?

Lol, u had to Google it? I see that junk everywhere and yes it is very ugly :lol2:

Its like modern art man. Sort of. Only cheaply put together and mass produced. I've actually never seen one outside of trops range in Harrisburg.

Do you know anyone who can cut metal? Trace out the clips on some steel and have someone cut them out. Not that hard.

I could possibly use my machine at work but it seems like thickness would be a pain.

At any rate I did find out that the Chiappa Rhino .40 s&w version uses cloned moon clips of the s&w 646 thanks to Clint who runs moonclip tool.com. Which are a hell of a lot cheaper to find.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    These were the ones I was avoiding. So im guessing the cost is worth 10x the price for durabity?

Probably not. But you've got a relatively obscure revolver, so it's either TK or wait for Chiappa to get them back in stock. Does Chiappa have any idea when more will be in?

edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably not. But you've got a relatively obscure revolver, so it's either TK or wait for Chiappa to get them back in stock. Does Chiappa have any idea when more will be in?

Chiappa is kind of useless I've found but that was expected. However they did confirm what I was told by the guy at mooncliptool.com it uses the exact same moon clips as the Smith and Wesson 646 revolver. The guy from ranch products can do custom orders for them for about a dollar and in the past I've heard he makes excellent stuff. But there are other suppliers for 646 revolvers even though they're obscure as well, it's more popular than the rhino. Hope this post serves as a Google result for someone looking.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You're golden then if it uses 646 moon clips. I was wondering about that because they look about the same. You can get those for about $1 each.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I believe this revolver design was first brought out by a German manufacturer (Korth?) back in the '80s and was a reliable if unconventional gun. Chiappa has brought it back and it does not seem to be worth the high price. Maybe you are looking for a novelty, but for $700+, you could buy a S&W or Ruger. If getting an Italian gun is a must, get an Uberti reproduction, such as a Cattleman or a percussion gun. I can guarantee that will be much more fun than a high-priced piece of junk from Chiappa.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes, Korth. Korth is busy nowadays building an unreliable 9mm revolver that doesn't use moon clips. OP owns a 40DS, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom