• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    Ok, so I'm thinking about buying one of the hi-point carbines...

I'm trying to decide between 9mm and .40.

I want to teach my girlfriend to shoot, she wants to learn, she thinks guns are "scary" but is willing to learn the art and hobbie of shooting.

Anyway, I'm thinking in terms of the future for the both of us. I currently have a .40 SW pistol, but I'm not all that happy with it. I've been thinking of ditching it, picking up a 995 Hi-Point and a 9mm Ruger SR9 or a Taurus PT92.

However, Hi-Point also makes a .40 carbine. However, as I said, I'm not fond of the pistol I currently have, an SW40VE.

My question is this, in terms of learning to shoot, and being a complete novice, which is the better round to start my girlfriend out on? Which is better for a "home defense" situation should she need it? I've got my 1911 .45 that i'd use when we're home together, but if she was home alone and needed a gun, what would be her best bet?

As far as ammo expense, 9mm and .40 are about the same correct?

Really, just school me throughly on both calibers, please?

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    9 is cheaper to shoot and .40 packs a bigger punch.

apparently, .40 is a bit snappier with recoil in somthing like a glock or so.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    The best gun for your gf is the one she is comfortable with and willing to use. I own a .40 and my wife owns a 9mm. She can shoot either but she actually *enjoys* shooting her glock 19 in 9mm.

Lately, Ive been finding 9mm fmj to be about 2-4 dollars less a box than .40 fmj, which is ridiculous but something to consider.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    My question is this, in terms of learning to shoot, and being a complete novice, which is the better round to start my girlfriend out on?

BEST..... .22 bolt rifle to learn fundamentals. If you decide on the HP...I don't think it'll make a difference b/n the 2 Cal. but new shooters, .22 b/c it takes the fear out of recoil. I bought my 9 yr old a Kricket .22 rifle and she's proficient with it. My favorite rifles in my collectoin are my .22 bolts

Which is better for a "home defense" situation should she need it?

People will disagree but caliber is not as important to me as hitting my enemy.

I've got my 1911 .45 that i'd use when we're home together, but if she was home alone and needed a gun, what would be her best bet?

Find out what gun bests fits her and she shoots well consistently....then buy it for her.

THere are several NRA Instructors here that are providing Beginning Pistol or Rifle, why not both attend.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I agree with FPS. My wife tried several different calibers/guns before settling on something she likes and is comfortable shooting. We figured because she was "not petite", she could shoot pretty much anything.....wrong :)

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I say go with 9mm. Ammo is a little easier to find. (Just a little easier)
    I also say, why have a 40 if you already have .45? The .45 is the way to go!

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    if she is just starting and possibly afraid, you should start her on a 22, then transition to something else. I have a xdm 9 and an m&p 40, and my wife prefers the 9mm. she has even told me if something were to happen that is what she would go for as that is what is the most comfortable for her.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County

Recoil in my USPc 40 is pretty snappy...

BEST..... .22 bolt rifle to learn fundamentals. If you decide on the HP...I don't think it'll make a difference b/n the 2 Cal. but new shooters, .22 b/c it takes the fear out of recoil. I bought my 9 yr old a Kricket .22 rifle and she's proficient with it. My favorite rifles in my collectoin are my .22 bolts

People will disagree but caliber is not as important to me as hitting my enemy.

Find out what gun bests fits her and she shoots well consistently....then buy it for her.

THere are several NRA Instructors here that are providing Beginning Pistol or Rifle, why not both attend.

Excellent advice. This isn't the time or place to get into the gear vs training debate....

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    FPS, very good point, definitely something I should look into regarding the training. Know anyone in the Harford-Cecil-Baltimore county areas that are giving courses?

I've got a .22 semi-auto rifle (mossberg plinker). It'll be good enough to get her over the noise of a gun and the "fear" of recoil....then I guess we'll step up to something else...

For my info though, please keep the discussion going. 9mm vs. .40 What makes one better than the other, are there key differences or just minor ones? The .40 I've noticed is snappy, a bit more "snappy" than the recoil from my .45.....I've never shot a 9mm before, so I'm completely clueless on that type/caliber of gun...

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'll send you some links tomorrow if I remember (on my work computer)....EXCELLENT starting point for understanding ballistics and round choices. My personal conclusion: .40SW with Federal HSTs. Hands down.

In my opinion and experience, NOTHING replaces training. Comfort, fundamentals, practice. In order of necessity:

-PRACTICE/GOOD training
    -Gun that you are comfortable with and can drive tacks with
    -PRACTICE/GOOD training
    -The Correct Round
    -PRACTICE/GOOD training

Why the correct round? Because let's look at the potential WORST case scenario that WILL put your training/mindset to the test:

2AM and you awaken to someone either in your house or in your bedroom. Several groggy seconds later your brain processes it and you go for your gun (hopefully). It's dark, you're not awake, and he absolutely has the advantage. You can train all you want during the day, night, good weather, bad weather, inside, outside, and with different drills but you CANNOT drill for this scenario (if someone has an idea let me know). As such, your shooting abilities WILL be off par, so you want THE BEST round/caliber you can get to ensure that if you miss your target area (hit an arm instead of a torso) with the first round you WONT miss a second time and will put your target DOWN; double tap body shots and a head shot at the range ain't happening at 2AM. My primary HD gun is the 12ga for exactly that reason. One shot. One kill. Doesn't matter how awake I am, that 00 Buck will do the trick the first time.

I rambled. I apologize.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!

it really depends on what you're shooting. in a full size gun w/ a steel frame there is little difference. in glocks, i can go back and forth between a 17 and 21, & 22 w/ target ammo and not tell a big difference at all.

in a small gun, sub compact, or shorter barreled pistol, especially polymer framed they both get snappy....

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    IMO the 9mm would be a better choice. Ammo is cheaper allowing abundant practice, obviously the most critical element for developing proficiency. And the 9mm is a world proven capable manstopper, especially out of a carbine (like the Hi-Point) which has a longer barrel than a pistol. The longer barrel will extract more power from the cartridge and expel the bullet at a higher muzzle velocity than a pistol will (with corresponding higher knockdown power). It'll have less recoil, less muzzle flash and will be quieter than a 40, which all serves to help keep a non-professional shooter from becoming "bedazzled" in a gun fight - helping to keep the gun accurately pointed at what (who) needs to be shot. A good hit or two with high velocity 9mm HP's should settle a home invasion quickly.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I like HiPoints and if I remember correctly, there is no capacity difference between the 9mm and .40 in a HiPoint. So there is no issue there.

Recoil: There should be almost no difference in recoil between 9mm and .40 with a Hipoint carbine. Heck, there isn't much recoil at all from either.

Ammo: 9mm is cheaper. I have been finding much more .40 in stock at WallyWorld, but that's recent.

Stoppong power: .40 would be better, but not by much from what I have read. You won't be shooting through windshields so the .40 will offer little more advantage. 9mm at close range from a carbine is devastating.

Were it me, I would go with the 9mm.

Splitter

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    just learning get a bbgun to shoot cans with in the backyard to teach safety and aiming fundamentals so she feels more ready and prepared when she finally fires a real gun at the range. double up hearing protection because guns are loud and scary. .22's are by far the best to practice with and the first time shooting a bigger caliber(9mm preferably if not 380 or 38) only load one round in the mag because new shooters are scared they'll drop the gun. after a few times of only shooting one round you can load more.

9mike mike is cheaper and you lose very little while gaining capacity and quicker follow-up shots. like others said, caliber doesnt matter as much as placement.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    both are proven effective rounds, 9mm is cheaper, a 9mm hipoint carbine is easier to find, and most anybody is comfortable shooting 9mm, but not everyone is comfortable shooting 40.

so the reasoning tends to sit with the 9mm

for a brand new starter shooter that has never fired a gun before its hard to beat a good 22 though.

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Start with BB plinking, .22 next, .25 or .32 next etc... until you find the load that she's more comfortable with. This will of course take time and commitment on your part. If someone's more accurate with a .380 than a .45, they'll be better off with the .380 if a situation requiring self defense occurs. Don't listen to the big round swingin dicks out there. I personally shoot better and more consistently with guns that feel comfortable to me, and they happen to be .380 and 9mm.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I have two (G19 and G23)

The G23 is snapping Recoil which I can handle and seems to handle better than the G19 (9mm) which shoots all over the place..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom