• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Funny, on another board there is a member who dabbles quite seriously with weather forecasting but only winter weather and only if there is a storm brewing. He really is quite good, but I digress.

Today he posts to the forum that he is up in his stand hoping to get one more for the freezer but will post up his final explanation of what did/did not happen to make this snow event a bust. I don't think I have ever witnessed a more extreme juxtaposition. One of the most primal activities known to man overlaid with communicating with the world with the push of a button on a communicator.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Funny, on another board there is a member who dabbles quite seriously with weather forecasting but only winter weather and only if there is a storm brewing. He really is quite good, but I digress.

Today he posts to the forum that he is up in his stand hoping to get one more for the freezer but will post up his final explanation of what did/did not happen to make this snow event a bust. I don't think I have ever witnessed a more extreme juxtaposition. One of the most primal activities known to man overlaid with communicating with the world with the push of a button on a communicator.

Right?

(I feel it my bones, thereby, I post...)

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Darwin's theory is always in play. It isn't generational. It is innate. If anything, modern life has cheated it, and yet, Darwin always seems to find a way...

Thank God

Survival of the fittest was much more definitive IMO. Yeah, modern life/science is cheating it but Chuck will have his way in the end.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Survival of the fittest was much more definitive IMO. Yeah, modern life/science is cheating it but Chuck will have his way in the end.

Damn Straight, Skippy! Chuck will have his way in the end. If you can survive this Old Man's Roundhouse kick to your head then you can survive the rest of what life has for waiting for you

View attachment 333081

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
      download (1).jpeg
      7.4 KB · Views: 213

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    OP thanks for posting. Really thoughtful article.

I'm sorry, the author is confusing two different words, simple and easy.

Modern man enjoys an easy way of life and leisure. It is far from simple. It is very complex. Think about the complexity of tasks required to place and receive a simple order to Amazon. Not very simple when you think about it. Easy, but not simple.

I resonate most with this point. The complexity we face today is due to the ubiquitous nature of technology. Everything requires an app, a device, and the internet to do basic things. True that tech is a magnificent lever that we can use to accomplish great things without lifting a finger, but it requires a new set of skills, and a knowledge base that is rapidly changing.

There's also complexity in that we have so many choices. 200 years ago if you had to buy or make your wife a gift, you were limited to your general store, or the supplies you had on hand. Your options might be to make a new shelf, or if you could spare the money, a new bonnet, or maybe some fabric she could use to make a dress. Now you can get her anything from anywhere on the internet. But instead of having three choices, now you have 15,000. And once you decide what to get, you have to compare prices and shipping lead times. Do you go lowest price from China, or do you shop around to find a local business to support? Do you care about being made in the USA or not? Did you read all of the reviews to check on the quality of the item?

Agree @outrider58, life today is easy, but not simple.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I was going to say something similar. We can choose to take it with us or leave it at home. I have more days where I put a device down for long chunks. Take the dog for a walk in the woods, watch a good TV show, go in my shop and imagine building ghost guns; there’s about enough room in my shop for me and a 1911. Some weekends I put down the phone and solely use the computer. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but I use my MacBook for leisure. Work can’t touch me if I don’t have a phone. That used to create anxiety for me. I’ve come to terms with that. I still like to disconnect. If I get to looking at test results, I end up calling people and messaging people on weekends about them. Funny, that. Getting a call on a weekend from your doctor can be anxiety provoking. I stopped (except for really critical stuff, which I usually get a call about anyway). I had to learn to step away from work.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was going to say something similar. We can choose to take it with us or leave it at home. I have more days where I put a device down for long chunks. Take the dog for a walk in the woods, watch a good TV show, go in my shop and imagine building ghost guns; there’s about enough room in my shop for me and a 1911. Some weekends I put down the phone and solely use the computer. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but I use my MacBook for leisure. Work can’t touch me if I don’t have a phone. That used to create anxiety for me. I’ve come to terms with that. I still like to disconnect. If I get to looking at test results, I end up calling people and messaging people on weekends about them. Funny, that. Getting a call on a weekend from your doctor can be anxiety provoking. I stopped (except for really critical stuff, which I usually get a call about anyway). I had to learn to step away from work.

I do the same thing on weekends. Unless I am out of the house, my phone stays on its charging easel on the kitchen counter. It does not follow me from room to room. I peek at it from time to time to look for the blinking message LED. That's about it. I will scan my 'puter occasionally for things. Other than that...

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

It took me 16 years to learn that lesson. You should have posted this sooner;-)

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

It took me 16 years to learn that lesson. You should have posted this sooner;-)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Knowing what’s important is the first step.

Living in proximity to a preponderance of folks with basic Judeo Christian family values is a major step in the right direction.

Not commuting is a biblical weight off your shoulders.

Enjoying the love of a good woman is a Godsend.

Having a good dog or three can be balm for the soul. They’ll teach you everything you need to know if you’ll let them.

Less tech; mo better.

Water intake and fresh air/exercise is a beautiful thing. Self medicate with God given stuff vice manmade sh1t.

Or not…

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021

This! I spent a few years learning this life lesson while commuting to DC from Baltimore. I greatly underestimated the level of negative impact that commute would have on me when accepting the position. Relentless anxiety.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Living in proximity to a preponderance of folks with basic Judeo Christian family values is a major step in the right direction.

Enjoying the love of a good woman is a Godsend.

Having a good dog or three can be balm for the soul. They’ll teach you everything you need to know if you’ll let them.

Less tech; mo better.

Water intake and fresh air/exercise is a beautiful thing. Self medicate with God given stuff vice manmade sh1t.

Or not…

I’m with ya….it hurts a lot more when your furry faced friend passes than when your iPhone craps out! Less tech more family time.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My wife is a home maker and does odd jobs for some local families (2-5 miles from the house.)
    She does not understand why I :
    A) flinch and blood pressure goes up when my phone rings or makes a noise (my phone is 99% for business
    B) why I am frazzled after driving up and down 301 through PG and AA counties.

Or why I can be so looking forward to being away from people, siting in a tree for 8 hours straight. Or why I would want to live a good hours drive to the nearest small town,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom