• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I know the struggles we had opening a new church on 42 acres in AA county this year. I can only imagine the additional hoops the county would have put a new indoor range through.
    Ours got held up for over 6 months in re-permitting...

Bingo. They have had a lot thrown at them. They're a genuinely good bunch of people trying to bring a first to Frederick County, and that has been a big part of the problem. The closest existing model Frederick County has for building something like this is a bowling alley. There has been a lot of learning experiences during this process, going both ways, and it has really eaten up a lot of time. The good news, 1. I went by yesterday and saw a ceiling installer truck which means that things are being zipped up. 2. The next indoor range to be built will have a precedent, thanks to the effort of these good folks at TMGN.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Any new news about the opening date of The Machine Gun Nest. They had indicated to me that they would be opening sometime in March, so I was just wondering if there was an update on this. I really need a gun range that is close to my house and I am eagerly looking forward to this opening. Can't wait!

Cal68

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    They tweeted yesterday that the ceilings are almost complete. I know their camera and security systems are up and running. Trust me, those guys are getting real tired of paying bills with $0 income coming in. I also know one of the owners spends his weekends there doing work himself to speed up the process.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    They tweeted yesterday that the ceilings are almost complete. I know their camera and security systems are up and running. Trust me, those guys are getting real tired of paying bills with $0 income coming in. I also know one of the owners spends his weekends there doing work himself to speed up the process.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that the construction is coming along well.

Cal68

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    They posted a video the other day. Didn't really give much info besides saying they're "close" yet still dont have any opening dates. Apparently they just found out they're getting screwed by the power company making them upgrade the existing service to the building.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=sN1GrIN-9GY

A heavy up? Don't think the power company writes codes and/or chooses what equipment the establishment installs that need the Amps. Anything Commercial can turn in to a red tape nightmare one does not conceive if not experienced. No doubt they have all the ADA regs covered? Wife once did design for a "My Gym" , well that occupancy fell under all types of rules. So you got 25-45LB kids tumbling and jumping on mats. It required a full engineering report on structural loads imposed of the floors. Same deal with hanging any swings from beams ten of us here could hang on with no problem.

paullwaull

Oct 2, 2012
    Besides the red tape, I'd venture to guess their contractor has probably jerked them around a bit, but who knows.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A heavy up? Don't think the power company writes codes and/or chooses what equipment the establishment installs that need the Amps. Anything Commercial can turn in to a red tape nightmare one does not conceive if not experienced. No doubt they have all the ADA regs covered? Wife once did design for a "My Gym" , well that occupancy fell under all types of rules. So you got 25-45LB kids tumbling and jumping on mats. It required a full engineering report on structural loads imposed of the floors. Same deal with hanging any swings from beams ten of us here could hang on with no problem.

ADA???? I've been in the building, back when it was Modern Auto Body and there are no steps, no curbs, no grads of any kind. I don't see how ADA could do anything to them, other than make sure the doors are wide enough for somebody to get through.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    ADA???? I've been in the building, back when it was Modern Auto Body and there are no steps, no curbs, no grads of any kind. I don't see how ADA could do anything to them, other than make sure the doors are wide enough for somebody to get through.

They have restrooms? All hallways to code? Door handles (not knobs) etc.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    ADA - they had to make sure all counter tops, tables and computer station complied to certain height requirements. And yes, they had a restroom issue for that too.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    i was in there last Wednesday, previous guy was right there was a problem with the generator that was to run the air Filtration system not being up to code, according to the Fred. County inspector. They seemed to have solved that issue, drop ceiling is almost in, front gun display case is in, NRA classrooms on the left are carpeted and drywalled so they are getting there. Owners are nice guys trying to do their best, I would say that April 1st or close to that would be a good guess. First 3 weeks open only previously paid up members will be allowed to shoot before they start letting the un-washed hoards in! Lol…..Nice little bonus for the few (or many) of us that paid up front and took that leap of faith.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    i was in there last Wednesday, previous guy was right there was a problem with the generator that was to run the air Filtration system not being up to code, according to the Fred. County inspector. They seemed to have solved that issue, drop ceiling is almost in, front gun display case is in, NRA classrooms on the left are carpeted and drywalled so they are getting there. Owners are nice guys trying to do their best, I would say that April 1st or close to that would be a good guess. First 3 weeks open only previously paid up members will be allowed to shoot before they start letting the un-washed hoards in! Lol…..Nice little bonus for the few (or many) of us that paid up front and took that leap of faith.

Can I tag along one day, before they open up to the un-washed massed? :D

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    I might have to drop by today, I haven't done so yet. I know and work with one of the owners.

Only if you guys had any idea what these people have gone through emotionally, physically - yes making them sick, or psychologically over the past year dealing with contractors, the county, inspections and codes, rebuilds due to the change of mind from the county or permits, codes and inspection you would most likely quit. There's even been a few compromises for things they had to give up just to keep the build on track. I hear the bullsh!t they go through every day since last year. All the times he's had to leave work for emergency meetings with the county to keep things going is enormous. It takes time when you complete a partial build to spec and the county comes in and says it now needs to be changed. Now they have to wait on a structural engineer to redesign and get it implemented. Then there is the time it takes for the teardown and rebuild. One example is an emergency door. They had to install it at the far end of a shooting lane. Really, the end that people are shooting at. This was after they were told it was not needed. I guarantee that door has to be bullet proof. You got to also make sure anyone dumb enough to hang out at that door outside is going to stay safe. Plus, being a fire door it has to open easily from the inside. And yes, this is just one of the snafus beyond their control.

If you have major issues with them, go elsewhere. This will give me easier access to lane time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom