• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Either one of these spots is about 45 minutes from me. I really just need access to an indoor lane to run some rounds through my 9mm Glocks. I've never been to either business. Which one do you prefer and why?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thinking about it, the NRA range in Fairfax isn't that much further. Consider that an option too.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Been to TMGN and NRA multiple times. NRA longer, more lanes, bit better in the lighting department. Both locations have friendly staff members and a pleasant atmosphere. Have never been to Guntry.

Still need to get out to one of them with the 43X at some point.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've never been to Guntry or the NRA range. Until this past December I had been a member of TMGN since they opened. I never had any issues with the staff, equipment or general availability of lanes when I wanted them. You would have no problem running your 9 there--period...full stop :D. If you get the itch to try something other than your Glocks--- they have some fun stuff to mess around with. Happy hunting...good luck!

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    If going to the NRA Range:

All first time shooters to the NRA Range will need to complete a short safety test and briefing, after which they will receive a Range Card which grants access and is valid indefinitely. There is a mandatory one-time $10 fee for this process.

NRA Range Staff will be happy to answer all questions at 703-267-1402.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’m a fan of Guntry. What really sold me on it is I can reserve a lane a week in advance. My schedule is pretty busy and I don’t have time to wait around somewhere for a lane (try getting a rifle lane at Hap Baker sometime). I’ve never been to the Machine Gun Nest.

I got an e-mail from Guntry that they’re adding additional 25-yard ranges, archery ranges, and a golf simulator (I’m not a golfer though) later this spring.

Also, the indoor 100 yard ranges are fantastic for sighting in rifles in any weather.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Guntry, because then I can treat you to Birria Tacos at El Cabrito
    A very kind offer Sir, but I won't leave guns in the car for any reason. That said, I'll happily take you up on it if I drive up there to rent and shoot.

I actually shot at NRA about five years ago and was very impressed. Yes I had to watch the video and take the test, but I understand CYA. I expect either of these will make me do something similar on my first visit. Looks like pricing is the same for both and rules are pretty comparable. TMGN appears to be right off 70, Guntry can't be too far off of 695 I'm thinking.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    A very kind offer Sir, but I won't leave guns in the car for any reason. That said, I'll happily take you up on it if I drive up there to rent and shoot.

I actually shot at NRA about five years ago and was very impressed. Yes I had to watch the video and take the test, but I understand CYA. I expect either of these will make me do something similar on my first visit. Looks like pricing is the same for both and rules are pretty comparable. TMGN appears to be right off 70, Guntry can't be too far off of 695 I'm thinking.
    Maybe you can sweet talk him into getting you a grilled cheese and brisket sandwich at the Guntry cafe.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You could always get a six gun boondock saints vest holster and bring them all inside :)

Screenshot_20240227-204537~2.png

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Bring it in the restaurant with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Where are you located?

Cindy's Hot Shots in Glen Burnie or Severn never seem to have any wait when I have been there on weekday mornings.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I went to Guntry for their 100 range once. I used to go the one in Chantilly that closed(Elite..). I like TMGN for an easy trip from Germantown for a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Guntry was pleasant as well, just farther to go.

Hillbilly Funk

MDS Supporter
    Jun 19, 2021
    MoCo
    Never been to guntry but a current member at TMGN. Great staff and i have never had a problem getting a lane during member hours on the weekends. It can get busy the closer you get to 12pm. They have a great selection of rentals and there is a royal farm down the road for the post shooting chicken tenders.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've never been to Guntry or the NRA range. Until this past December I had been a member of TMGN since they opened. I never had any issues with the staff, equipment or general availability of lanes when I wanted them. You would have no problem running your 9 there--period...full stop :D. If you get the itch to try something other than your Glocks--- they have some fun stuff to mess around with. Happy hunting...good luck!
    I second this opinion about TMGN. I too have been a member since they opened (I paid for a membership before they even opened!) and I've never felt let down at the place. The folks are super nice but it can get busy on Saturday afternoons. They also have a large selection of handguns and long guns to rent at very reasonable prices, although they insist you use their ammo in the rental firearm (you can use your own ammo in your own firearms).

Cal68

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Lesson learned... If you call Guntry and nobody answers, driving out there and assuming they'll have lanes on a Thursday afternoon is a waste of time. I'll make an appointment before I try again ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom