• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    it's ridiculously huge. it's only a temporary fix (stolen off my .308 bolt gun) for an upcoming hunt; eventually it'll be wearing a 2.5-10x.

IMG_0386 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Seriously. it's cartoonish. it's barely shorter than the barrel. But...form follows function. :lol2:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Initial machining was performed prior to 10/1, turning this former 80% into a receiver per ATF definition and therefore not subject to regulation under the current ban. :)

Disclaimer out of the way, a pard came over and did a lil more work on a former 80%:

IMG_0419 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    How do you guys like my new AR?

bad-family-photos-hello-kitty-gangster.jpg

Aw hellz naw

Post pics of it in action or it didn't happen.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    it's ridiculously huge. it's only a temporary fix (stolen off my .308 bolt gun) for an upcoming hunt; eventually it'll be wearing a 2.5-10x.

Seriously. it's cartoonish. it's barely shorter than the barrel. But...form follows function. :lol2:

From some advice given to me many years ago, you should not put the scope rings one on the receiver and one on the handguard. You may break your scope doing that. I have a set of these http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/ on my 3-Gun rifle with a scope, no problems in the past two years using this.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    From the manufacturer of the rail, glen seekins, it's fine. I'll take his word over someone on the internet who got advice years ago. Kthx.

Unless you somehow know how it could "break the scope" when the rail is directly attached to ONLY the upper receiver. Care to share the how?

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    From the manufacturer of the rail, glen seekins, it's fine. I'll take his word over someone on the internet who got advice years ago. Kthx.

Unless you somehow know how it could "break the scope" when the rail is directly attached to ONLY the upper receiver. Care to share the how?

Coming from someone else with a seekins rail I agree with you. Those anti rotation tabs on there have that scope mounted solid.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    for those unfamiliar, here's Triple Bravo's photo of the first-gen unit:

SP-MCSR01-onwhite01-crop1500-B3.jpg

(B3, i hope you don't mind my use of the photo; it was one of the first results on google images so i went with it. if you'd rather i didn't, drop me a pm and it's replaced asap)

The only major difference between gen 1 and the current gen 2 unit is that the rail on the g2 is integral to the handguard instead of separate.

Note at the receiver end the two "fangs". Those are *VERY* snug against the upper receiver rail portion. the handguard slides over the barrel nut (which may take a bit of light assistance from a rubber mallet, because the fit is--again--snug) and the two "fangs" keep it VERY tight to the upper receiver with *NO* twisting movement AT ALL. along with that, no fewer than eight (8) screws are then (loctite recommended) used to secure the handguard to the very beefy barrel nut.

this ain't your grandpappy's handguard. ;)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Is the handguard attached directly to the receiver or just via the ring on the barrel? If it's really free floating, then every time the handguard is touched, there may be movement of the handguard, like putting the handguard on bags or a bipod. Your scope may be tough, but it's still a thin piece of aluminum tubing.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007

How well does that setup work, with the amount of lenses the light has to travel through before reaching the PVS, I was advised that Night vision doesnt work as well when mounted behind a traditional scope.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I can finally post something in the AR picture thread! Here's my first build.

Attachments

• 20130921_215436.jpg
      20130921_215436.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 1,069

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    How well does that setup work, with the amount of lenses the light has to travel through before reaching the PVS, I was advised that Night vision doesnt work as well when mounted behind a traditional scope.

Very well, actually. I have an IR illuminator that has easily an 800-yard range, so I could easily put it on 24x and still hunt. FOV sucks though. I'm still considering snagging a PT Bravo half-shell and going helmet-mounted for the hunt. Said illuminator also has a great IR laser on it, so I'd just have to make sure the scope is dead-nuts on, put the laser on the crosshair, and it's good to go. Then I can do some of that firing from the hip all the folks in Annapolis claim is what an ar-15 is used for, right? ;)

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Very well, actually. I have an IR illuminator that has easily an 800-yard range, so I could easily put it on 24x and still hunt. FOV sucks though. I'm still considering snagging a PT Bravo half-shell and going helmet-mounted for the hunt. Said illuminator also has a great IR laser on it, so I'd just have to make sure the scope is dead-nuts on, put the laser on the crosshair, and it's good to go. Then I can do some of that firing from the hip all the folks in Annapolis claim is what an ar-15 is used for, right? ;)

Helmet mounted is the way to go, that way you're not pointing your firearm at what you're trying to observe. Of course i run older PVS-7's, (Gen 3 tube though) So i run mine on an ACH with Ops core suspension system (Best ever, buy one even if you're not running NVG's) And i use a laser devices OTAL mounted on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom