• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    It's pretty weird.. I've lived in this area for 17 years now and I've only noticed the issue recently. MAybe I dont get out enough. but looking at this thread it looks like this goes back years. Man do I hate the 355/shady grove intersection. I dont mind them pan handling as much as I dislike the awkwardness of the situation as they walk towards me and how tense things get as they slowly get closer.

On one hand I dont want to totally ignore them because they are humans but in the other any kind of acknowledgement equals to "hey got any cash?" so I have to go through this awkward unnatural tense stare at whatever is in front of me until they walk past me.

lostcuaz

Apr 11, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I'm glad for my tint, dash cam and lights on the jeep, usually stay away while i'm living in the Rockville area. It's entertaining to see them with phones and fresh clothes. I remember reading articles that panhandling can provide more then avg min wage. (source unknown)

The worst was with the girlfriend in Bowie Town Center and dude was intimidating ladies right up front of the door to some establishments, that shit is very uncalled for IMO. Pan handle by all means off to the side and quietly but intimidation will get the cops called on you, luckily that's what one of the ladies did to address this clown,

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    there is a young chick at MiddleBrook and 118 with a sign about something sending her mother or family member to Columbia for some surgery. Then, I was at 370 and Shady Grove at the light where the Burger King is to go to the dump to drop off crap- :) Anyway, who do I see making the rounds? The same young chick. WTF?!

Because of these asshats, I disregard any of the people looking for money- including the volunteer firefighters, and especially the "Penn State students" all over Germantown..

Sad.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not so much bothered by the destitute that panhandle.

Most NOT destitute, they make more money than you do, and do it TAX FREE, and then get public assistance (welfare and SNAP) on top of that.

An expose on them some years ago, I think in LA, they were making in excess of $600 PER DAY, TAX FREE.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    i love the ones that forget they hit you up with the same BS hard luck story within the last few days.

Personal favorite is that they were from out of town, relative rushed to hospital, they hurried to area and forgot money and cc, ran out of gas and need cash.
    Same black guy has hit me up in Wally word parking lot 3 times in 5 days. I've driven 3 different cars there so it messes him up.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    14485_ducks.jpg

Seems to work for panhandlers too;)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Last I talked to my MOCO boys the guy who always wears the Jason Campbell jersey has a felony warrant. I believe his name is Edward Yates so Jim and Brian be on the look out!!!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    For the last couple of years my standard question to them has been "Where's your EBT card?" So far I've never met one that didn't immediately scamper off to hit-up some other more likely chump.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    For the last couple of years my standard question to them has been "Where's your EBT card?" So far I've never met one that didn't immediately scamper off to hit-up some other more likely chump.

Hmm that's a good one, I may try to pull that one sometime when I'm back in town.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    there is a young chick at MiddleBrook and 118 with a sign about something sending her mother or family member to Columbia for some surgery. Then, I was at 370 and Shady Grove at the light where the Burger King is to go to the dump to drop off crap- :) Anyway, who do I see making the rounds? The same young chick. WTF?!

Because of these asshats, I disregard any of the people looking for money- including the volunteer firefighters, and especially the "Penn State students" all over Germantown..

Sad.

Not sure why you have "Penn State Students" in caps but what they are doing is called canning. They money they raise if for THON, which all money,not proceeds goes to the Four Diamonds Fund which supports Hershey's children's hospital for children's pediatric cancer treatment. They raise millions every year and students donate tons of time, not just money. I was proud that I volunteered for two years and wish I did all four I was in school. Just thought I would let you know, these kids are not just panhandling. I especially give to those kids, very few things can bring a tear to my eye, meeting a kid fighting cancer that just wants to have a fun weekend at THON, was one of those times.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I would like to know the stories of some of these people. When I was working down in Bethesda, almost every day there would be this slightly heavy-set Indian woman working the corner of 355 and Democracy Blvd. She was neat and well groomed and almost always there, even when weather was poor.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Last I talked to my MOCO boys the guy who always wears the Jason Campbell jersey has a felony warrant. I believe his name is Edward Yates so Jim and Brian be on the look out!!!

Copy direct. Wish we could confirm that because I see him about once a week.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    This is just a gut feeling but I get the sense that most of the panhandlers today have nothing to blame but their decision to try heroin or meth. You see a lot of younger / able-bodied people. Hate to stereotype but it's just different than the old Vietnam vet or guy who's talking to himself and is a casualty of the emptying of the mental health wards that occurred toward the end of the 20th century.

I work downtown and donate to the "street sense" newspaper guys regularly because they are for the most part trying to do something right. As a conservative, I ask that people do what they can to support themselves, so it just feels better than handing $5 to some 20 year old druggie. Harsh but again....just my gut instinct.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I would like to know the stories of some of these people. When I was working down in Bethesda, almost every day there would be this slightly heavy-set Indian woman working the corner of 355 and Democracy Blvd. She was neat and well groomed and almost always there, even when weather was poor.

Sorry, no such intersection.

About 2 weeks ago, saw a guy at Middlebrook and Germantown Road holding a sign saying "former TV Meteorologist". Looked to be wearing a wig under a baseball cap, and was the worst dressed(raggedy jacket, and pants with huge holes at both knees) of any panhandler I have ever seen.

I will usually give bottled water or food(based on how "needy" the person looks), but have been rebuffed on multiple occasions.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I snapchat the crack head in the "Yo" hat a Lockwood and newhampsire every day. I sent it to my MoCo cop friends. That guy is a mess, he will just walk up and stick his hand right in your car.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Sorry, no such intersection.

About 2 weeks ago, saw a guy at Middlebrook and Germantown Road holding a sign saying "former TV Meteorologist". Looked to be wearing a wig under a baseball cap, and was the worst dressed(raggedy jacket, and pants with huge holes at both knees) of any panhandler I have ever seen.

I will usually give bottled water or food(based on how "needy" the person looks), but have been rebuffed on multiple occasions.

Probably meant Old Georgetown Rd (89?) and Democracy. One on every f'n corner at times. Downtown Silver Spring, I saw a not unattractive girl, late teens or early 20's walking up and down the sidewalk on Fenton with a sign. Some urban guy was hitting on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom