The pig report. What Role Do Hunters Play in the Fight Against Feral Swine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'm kind of surprised we have not been invaded by now. They tend to screw up deer hunting from what I've heard. Not looking forward to it. But would definitely invest in a larger freezer for it.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I'm kind of surprised we have not been invaded by now. They tend to screw up deer hunting from what I've heard. Not looking forward to it. But would definitely invest in a larger freezer for it.
    Fortunately, the Potomac is a great natural barrier to the south. Not a super problem in WVa and Pa yet. Pa used to offer some affordable hunts there. It's been a while since I've checked.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Fortunately, the Potomac is a great natural barrier to the south. Not a super problem in WVa and Pa yet. Pa used to offer some affordable hunts there. It's been a while since I've checked.
    They’ll get there soon enough. Once a population establishes itself on the eastern shore, game over.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One of the issues is the value of trapping. In most cases you can’t take them to a USDA processor for sale, because they aren’t farmed livestock. There is some market for them, but not a lot. Because they aren’t considered a game animal you can sell them. At least live. Some people make some money trapping them and selling them live.

But yeah, trapping is the most important tool. Unlimited 24/365 seasons on them helps some. Figure out some incentives for hunting and trapping, but not continuing to have them around. Maybe some kind of financial incentive to have your lands swine free?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    They need to be killed wholesale, no matter what. They are vermin and should be treated as such. Trapping is best so far.
    Process what can be used. Dog food, fertilizer, whatever. While we sit and dither, the problem is only getting worse.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD

There here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri

There here

There…
    Here…

They’re somewhere and I think it’s a place that people west of the Chesapeake won’t like.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

There here

Unfortunately, nothing will be done until it is too little, too late.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Texas Deer Hunting With Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert

@3:30 you will see the funniest pig death I've ever seen.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Theirs already hogs running around on the shore. The tracks look like sika tracks.
    They'll get killed off quickly when they show up in the wrong spot. The money farmers will see it through.
    I think they're just farm pigs gone feral becuase they're so dumb.
    Some of these too.
    Actively hunting them will just spread them out over time.

Attachments

• Green brier Black bear.jpg
      Green brier Black bear.jpg
      20.6 KB · Views: 81

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I haven't heard of feral hogs on the Shore from any farmers or guides that I know, but I keep being surprised that the haven't spread into Delaware from NJ. Supposed to have been in rural NJ for decades

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    One of the things I intend to do a lot of in my post-career years is shoot, and feral pigs are on my list of things I want to shoot. I want a specific rig for each - I'm currently building the prairie dog gun. I'll probably build an AR10 for the pigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom