• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    This is interesting. What do you guys think?

U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns` (R-Fla.) national Right-to-Carry (RTC) reciprocity bill, H.R. 4547, would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state, as follows: In states that issue concealed firearm permits, a state`s laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its own borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations. H.R. 4547 would also apply to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would require the states to recognize each others` carry permits, just as they recognize drivers` licenses...

Source: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=189

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations.

I'm not really sure what this means. If it means a "universal" right to carry if the state does not have one, does that mean fed or state retrictions would apply?

The proposed law doesn't really seem to change anything for Marylanders in Maryland (since the state gov would claim a right to carry exists) it would only seem to change it for those coming to Md. from out of state.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If I am reading the bill correctly, it seems that it would help our case tremendously. Apparently this law would allow non-resident permit holders to carry in MD If we could point to the fact that almost 4/5ths of states have shall issue laws, and that any qualified citizen from one of those states could carry in MD, how could they deny us as citizens that same right? It just seems that it would make our opponents case that much harder to support.

Of course the first thought that came to my mind when I read this bill was "snowball's chance in hell...".

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    My take on the bill is that it equates you ccw permit to your driver's license; good in all states, but you still have to follow each state's individual laws.....like speed limits and "No turn on red" laws......you'd have to know where you could or couldn't carry.

UMDougal

Feb 7, 2006
    I personally think this is a great idea and I really hope this gets SOME support. I don't really expect it to pass, sadly, but just some movement in the right direction is always good.

Skeptic

Dec 19, 2005
    Middle East
    I would like to see it pass, it would prob help our cause as pointed out before. Sadly,..... I'm sure it will get shot down.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have a CCW from Washington State:moon: Does that mean if I stay in Maryland I get to carry if I don't become a Md citizen if the bill gets passed?:rolleyes:
    Nah I'll become a Md citizen :mdpatriot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom