• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Back when I heard the news of Judge Legg's over turn of G&S at first I was very happy. But as time passed and we started to talk about the upcoming Maryland General Assembly session I knew we were going to pay dearly for his ruling. And that’s what you’re seeing now.

I was very concerned because I knew that every anti-gun politician was so freaked out by Judge Legg's ruling as we were happy. Because of Judge Legg’s ruling the anti gun politicians were going to be more motivated than ever to vote for any and all anti-gun legislation they could get their hands on. And it does not matter if it makes sense or not. If it is anti gun they will vote for it.

These anti-gun politicians are so freaked out to think that anyone may be able to carry a gun one day in Maryland they feel backed against the wall and desperate to vote for ANYTHING that chips away at the 2A and gun rights. Like us, they see these gun cases heading to the SCOTUS and they know it could go either way when they do, just like us. So they want to have so many anti gun laws in place before it gets that far to lessen the blow for them if they did lose at the big court. If these gun cases are still pending a SCOTUS decision this time next year you will see many more anti gun bills being debated then as well and Sandy Hook will be long forgotten.

Our letters and phone calls of how what they are doing is unconstitutional is pointless because they could not care less about whether there vote is constitutional or not. They do not care if the truth is AR-15’s hardly ever are involved in criminal activity. All they know is an AR is a gun they think they can take from everyone and that's all they care about. Right or wrong has nothing to do with what is motivating them. Their hate for guns is all they need.

That’s why it is easy for us to shoot holes in everything they say. They know what the truth really is and they do not care about the truth. They do not like guns, end of the story. And they only want to do whatever they can to take guns away from everyone, criminals and law abiding alike.

They know very well the criminals will not get the background checks they are trying to pass, and they know very well the criminals will not be going into any gun store to buy a gun. But they think if they can make it so difficult that law abiding people will not want to bother with it all and it will one day cut down on the amount of guns sold in MD. If they can prevent 5 more people from buying guns that is 5 less guns legally owned in homes that criminals can steel.

These antis want guns in the hands of the police and in your local museums, and nowhere else. They know they can't get to their goals over night, but that is what they are working on. That 2A thing is just a nuisance to them that is in their way they could not care less about. Sure they see 1000’s of pro gun people in Annapolis, and they think that means the 5 million Marylanders that did not show up must be for gun control like they are.

They have always hated guns, the 2A real meaning, and anyone that does not think like they do. But this G&S ruling from Judge Legg last March after the over turned laws of DC a few years before, has awakened the anti-gun vote this year more than Sandy Hook ever could.

And I would like to add if people would flock to the voting both on election days showing more action and less BS like they do when going to Annapolis when anti gun laws are a concern, Maryland would be better off and we would not be in the position we are in now. Maryland has 5,884,563 residence. Last November only 323,188 people — or about 8.75 percent of eligible voters — had voted, according to unofficial numbers from the Maryland State Board of Elections. People of Maryland should be ashamed of these numbers. But that's why we have the government we do in MD. Getting all fired up for gun rallies is a wonderful thing. But if we were half as fired up come election day we would not find a need to charge down to Annapolis wondering how politicians like this were elected.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I respectfully disagree. Annapolis has their panties in a wad because of Sandy Hook, not because of Judge Leggs March 2013 ruling...

He may have a point that it may have weakened the position of the Pro-2A crowd... Having that ruling come out when it did, didn't help the cause, IMHO.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I agree with ShallNot. It was def demoralizing for some.

I remember being down in Annapolis the day it came down. Almost to the day, the momentum changed.... My observation is that the decision may have emboldened our legislators more than it demoralized the Pro-2A folks.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Sure they see 1000’s of pro gun people in Annapolis, and they think that means the 5 million Marylanders that did not show up must be for gun control like they are.

You are wrong!

This is the formula:
    Every time a e-mail or phone call is received, a staffer puts a tick mark on one or the other side of a piece of paper. for or against, respectively. These are tallied and multiplied by 10.

When people physically show up in their office or at a rally, especially if it means that most of them took off work to do so, the multiplication factor is either 50 or 100.

They then compare that to a number that they have well memorized: How many people voted for me in the last election. What was the spread against my opponent.

When you see them calling in sick and absent from a vote or voting present, you know you have their FULL attention! And that they are worried.

That's how things actually work.

-t

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Interesting that something this important is decided with only (3) Judges.

What's funny is that people think those (3) biased and crooked Judges have the last say.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I respectfully disagree. Annapolis has their panties in a wad because of Sandy Hook, not because of Judge Leggs March 2013 ruling...

And you have that right. But Sandy Hook is 100's of miles away and everything they doing does nothing to correct, make any children safe, or prevent a Sandy Hook from happening again. if your right and it's all about Sandy Hook, then please explain why they did nothing to prevent another sandy hook?

It does however make it harder for legal guns to be bought and sold. I will stand by my statement that Judges that think like Legg is a much bigger threat to the anti's then 10 Sandy Hooks.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    You are wrong!

This is the formula:
    Every time a e-mail or phone call is received, a staffer puts a tick mark on one or the other side of a piece of paper. for or against, respectively. These are tallied and multiplied by 10.

When people physically show up in their office or at a rally, especially if it means that most of them took off work to do so, the multiplication factor is either 50 or 100.

They then compare that to a number that they have well memorized: How many people voted for me in the last election. What was the spread against my opponent.

When you see them calling in sick and absent from a vote or voting present, you know you have their FULL attention! And that they are worried.

That's how things actually work.

-t

Well if your right, we have nothing to be worried about. All the politicians know that most Marylanders do not want these laws and most will vote against SB-281.....right?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    The decision hurt with this in mind, lots of people giving testimony were referring to the upcoming decision that would allow Marylanders to carry. The senators and delegates did not bat an eye when this was brought up. I really don't think they were concerned at all by this. They knew they were going to vote along party lines and pass anything they wanted to. The fact that the decision got overturned again, just steals some credibility from those who were using it as a point of argument. I know the legislators were just sitting there and thinking we were all crazy and the reversal of the decision just reinforces that to them.

Honestly, while 2A rights are extremely important to me right now, it is not the biggest issue we have. The way our officials are allowed to make careers out of politics and holding a position in office and the way that they can be influenced by the governor and president with their cushy lifestyle and jobs on the line, is the REAL problem.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    My view is that there are fewer real "gun-haters" than it appears. I believe that gun control for the democratic leadership is a proxy goal.

What I mean by that is that actually reducing crime is difficult and/or expensive. So instead of saying "I'd like to reduce violent crime by 20%", which is hard, expensive, and your likelihood of success is uncertain.

It's much easier to to create a proxy goal. "Let's reduce violent crime" becomes "Let's reduce gun crime" which becomes "let's get guns out of the hands of criminals" which eventually becomes "Let's ban scary looking guns".

You've completely lost any hope of reducing violent crime by 20%, but from the politician's point of view it's a no-lose situation:

Ban gets defeated - The opposition doesn't care about your safety
    Ban gets passed but crime doesn't go down - The opposition wouldn't let you go far enough.

They get to claim victory, yet don't have to build expensive prisons, or actually accomplish anything at all.

The AWB is a plank in the Democratic platform. If it wasn't, I sincerely doubt O'Malley would be pushing it so hard. He wants to check that box to further his career.

The really heinous thing is they're claiming it will make the children safer, and there are a lot of their "followers" that actually believe them. I don't know how these guys sleep at night.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I do not really care why they want my guns. I just know that they want them and I must fight to keep them.

I can't agree more. Besides getting off our Maryland asses and vote on election day, we need some other tactic other then writing letters where we are trying to point out how the criminals are not going into gun stores buying guns. The anti's know that. It's not like they are stupid. Every conversation when we say, 'Why can't they understand what they are doing will not stop this or that". The anti's know all of that. They do not need us beating this same old dead horse telling them something they already know.

They just want our guns, end of story. Your right, we do have to fight. But writing another letter telling them how come they can't understand the bad guys do not do background checks, is just a waist of time. They know that and could not care less. They just want all the guns gone.

The letter we need to write is not a letter at all. It is a vote come election day. So next election day if we do not vote is us telling all of them that we think they are doing a wonderful job taking our rights and keep up the good work.

I can't tell you how many hard working men and women I talk to that will complain with the best of them about the leadership in MD. But the day after the election if you ask them if they went to vote, most will have some reason of why they did not make it to the poles. They were tried, they had to work late, they did not feel good, there one vote would not count anyway in this state, the poles are fixed so they did not bother. they did not like any of the candidates so they did not vote for anyone, Their favorite TV show was on that night, The were going hunting and did not have time, they were coming back from hunting and did not have time, they had a bowling league that night, Bla, Bla, Bla for hours with the many reason people come up with to justify why their lazy asses did not get off the couch and go stand in that "No fun line" and vote this crap we have in office out of office.

And yes, many gun owners are just as guilty. Maybe even more so. When gun owners do not think their gun rights are on the line, everything is right in their world and not bothering standing in line at the poles on election day. It's times like this when you get most of the gun owners attention.

323,188 people voted out of 5,884,563 residence. I bet there were allot of gun owners out of the 5,561,375 that did not bother to vote. And now because of that they may loose their guns.

Election day should have everyone's attention, always.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    He may have a point that it may have weakened the position of the Pro-2A crowd... Having that ruling come out when it did, didn't help the cause, IMHO.

Sandy Hook or no Sandy Hook, The Legg ruling just fueled the fire under these anti's that I'm sure are fighting as hard as they can for anything anti gun. By the time SCOTUS hears these gun cases, MD will have as many of their bases covered as they possible can just in case SCOTUS does not tell them what MOM wants to hear.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Apples and oranges! The MD legislature would use any excuse to restrict our fundemental rights
    Very true. And that's why it's a waist of time writing our letters and making our phone calls. They all count on us forgetting all about this stuff come election day. And even if we do remember they know most are to lazy to go and vote them out of office.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Very true. And that's why it's a waist of time writing our letters and making our phone calls. They all count on us forgetting all about this stuff come election day. And even if we do remember they know most are to lazy to go and vote them out of office.

:nono:

Don't be putting words in my mouth.

The democratic party made the second amendment prohibitions a party plank. If any politician wants to get ahead they have to push the party line.

The politicians need a reminder who they work for, so the calls/letters/emails get their attention.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom