• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Haven't done much Bow hunting since I hung my Old Matthews Q2 up a few years ago when my daughter was born. I'm planning on getting back into the swing of things this fall, and got a wild hair to give it a go with a crossbow. So far, I've done minimal research on what's available but the Excalibur seems to catch my eye based primarily on it's old school simplicity. I've also loooked at the inverted types (Horton) but am a bit skeptical on too much technology (although I'm told the inverted set ups do have their attributes).

I steered away from split limb designs with conventional compounds and seem to have the same aversion to these configurations on a crossbow for some reason (why, I'm not sure).

Most of my hunting will be done from a ground blind or tree stand, so the larger size of the recurve design doesn't concern me that much. I'm thinking a 175 lb. draw weight would suffice (probably won't attempt shots beyond 40 yards). With that as background, would an Excalibur be a good choice or should I consider something else? I'd like to keep it in the 6 to 8 hundred dollar range. Thanks in advance for any input.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    Thinking about a Crossbow

When my shoulders gave up I bought a Titan 10 Point and couldn't be happier with it. The thing shoots like a rifle and so far is deadly on shots made up to 40 yards. Based on practice on my range, I would take a 50 yard shot if other conditions were favorable. I paid a little extra and got a mounted crank but I can hand pull it if necessary. It sure will extend your hunting season. Good luck.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    we have a parker bushwacker...we killed 4 deer this season with it...150 draw...basically boils down to what you like and how much you want to spend...

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    we sell x-bows and I work on x-bows. X-caliber and be done!

Well, so far, I'm interested in the 10-Point "Stealth"; the Horton "Vision" and the Xcalibur "Phoenix" (in no particular order). I know they are 3 completely different configurations, but each seems to have it's attributes.

Do you sell these brands? Is your comment on Xcalibur based on reliability and/or ease of maintenance, or is it an "All things considered" assessment?

On the Horton, do you think this inverted limb design is a gimick or is it the "bee's knees"? Do you think it's as revolutionary as a "solocam" type thing that when the patent runs out everyone will be cloning? Has the inverted limb configuration been around long enough to have "worked the bugs out"? (I never like buying first year new technology).

Thanks for your input!

ST.243

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have an Excalibur and my brother has a Tenpoint, the best of the recurve and compound designs respectively. Others like Parker, Horton, Barnett, etc. make good models that can be had for good deals but by and large as a rule, they are competing for podium spots rather than gold medals.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I got a Parker Hornet Extreme last year. At Bass Bro, it's very accurate. The scope it came with is lighted and has 4 radicals. Mine was right on the money at 20, 30,40 and 50 yards with their Red Hot Bolts.

I got a crossbow to extend the season and to hunt some spots that get very swampy later in the fall. They are dry in September and October. I bought the inverted Horton Vision and like it. It's very easy to carry slung over my back or at my side. I can't attest to the relative quietness (supposedly a selling point), but I have mine darn near silent.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks for all the replies. I think it's pretty much coming down to the Horton Vision or the comparably priced Excalibur (200 lb. draw weight). Both ends of the spectrum from a design standpoint. I'm thinking that extra 25 lbs. may come in handy in another area I plan to hunt.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I hunt with an Excalibur. Very well made, very accurate, sounds about like a 22 short when fired, that is with the dampening pads. I have killed quite a few deer with it. Pros: simple, match grade trigger, accurate (they win all competitions), good warranty. Cons: wide (can hit limbs and such even inside of blind and cause pitched arrows), not quiet. I still think it is one heck of a crossbow.

While at the outdoor show in Harrisburg I looked at the new Horton Rampage (I Think). It is a reversed limb like the vision. The advantage is power stroke and width. Since the limbs are reversed the bow can be shorter and have a long power stroke. Long stroke means more velocity and flatter shooting. Also since it is parallel limb design it is much narrower. ExCal is over 2 feet, I bet the Rampage is less than 1. This may not sound like much, but in a treestand you won't have to worry about hitting your limbs on stuff as much. Guess it is getting much closer to rifle like nature. It looked and felt pretty good to me and I guess it would shoot minute of deer out to 40 yards.

Tenpoint is a good bow too but costly and no better than ExCal to my knowledge. I will stick with my 175 lb Excalibur because it still does what I need it to do, 3 deer this year, but would have to think twice after holding the reversed limb bows. If the one guy is right and it is real quiet, that is another edge.

Last deer I shot, Jan 29, came in to 22 yds. I shot and hit her perfect. The other deer, 75 yds away ran at the report. If you can get one that is real quiet it could be a big advantage.

ExCal and Horton reverse limb would be my choice. The rest is up to your personal preference.

Let us know!
    Vic

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I hunt with an Excalibur. Very well made, very accurate, sounds about like a 22 short when fired, that is with the dampening pads. I have killed quite a few deer with it. Pros: simple, match grade trigger, accurate (they win all competitions), good warranty. Cons: wide (can hit limbs and such even inside of blind and cause pitched arrows), not quiet. I still think it is one heck of a crossbow.

While at the outdoor show in Harrisburg I looked at the new Horton Rampage (I Think). It is a reversed limb like the vision. The advantage is power stroke and width. Since the limbs are reversed the bow can be shorter and have a long power stroke. Long stroke means more velocity and flatter shooting. Also since it is parallel limb design it is much narrower. ExCal is over 2 feet, I bet the Rampage is less than 1. This may not sound like much, but in a treestand you won't have to worry about hitting your limbs on stuff as much. Guess it is getting much closer to rifle like nature. It looked and felt pretty good to me and I guess it would shoot minute of deer out to 40 yards.

Tenpoint is a good bow too but costly and no better than ExCal to my knowledge. I will stick with my 175 lb Excalibur because it still does what I need it to do, 3 deer this year, but would have to think twice after holding the reversed limb bows. If the one guy is right and it is real quiet, that is another edge.

Last deer I shot, Jan 29, came in to 22 yds. I shot and hit her perfect. The other deer, 75 yds away ran at the report. If you can get one that is real quiet it could be a big advantage.

ExCal and Horton reverse limb would be my choice. The rest is up to your personal preference.

Let us know!
    Vic
    I agree with you. They are both fine bows. I agonized over these very bows and decided to go with a tenpoint bow. I had one additional criteria: a good crank system that could be used by my 14 year old daughter.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD

Let us know!
    Vic

Thank you Vic. I appreciate the input. This is still kind of a toss up for me but I really think I'm leaning toward the Excalibur. It takes me a long time to warm up to "new technology" like that offered by the Horton "Vision" (usually, by the time I do warm up to it, it's "Old Technology"). I think the main factor is simplicity in design. I want something that very little can go wrong with, and when it does, I can fix it myself. It sounds like the Excalibur puts meat on the table, and at the end of the day that is what matters most IMHO.

Best,

ST.243

gotguns

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Ten-point, Parker, excalibur all make good crossbows. They all have their accuracy potential. ALL of them are NOT quiet; but can be "toned" down.

There is only one.....that has less moving parts. "keep it simple; less will go wrong" EXCALIBER.

Only one, lets you change your string on your own without a bow press! EXCALIBER. You WILL change strings on all crossbows, no matter which x-bow you choose.

Only one x-bow you can dry fire without damage; Excaliber. (I don't recommend! but sh@% does happen) I have one customer that did....never broke his Excaliber! (see Excaliber for further explanation)

In my opinion....excaliber has they nicest trigger, out of the box. You can check the trigger on all of them without shooting them. Have the archery tech wherever you make the purchase show you.

The downfall..that I see with Excaliber? The length of the limbs. The other's make a more compact x-bow.

Ten-point very accurate, but Heavy! 2nd nicest trigger. Is not friendly with strings and cables. I teach with a guy that has a ten-point and he loves it, but he agrees with what I just mentioned.

Parker is compact, accurate. Have excellent customer service! I have a family member that hunts with a parker x-bow and he loves it.

You my want to check out the Md crossbow federation website? Could be some help to any current or up and coming crossbow hunter/shooter.

No matter which one you choose. Take care of it; and it will take care of you!

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks VNVGUNNER, gotguns. et., al. I appreciate all of the advice and commentary (no doubt backed by field and retail experience!). I will be referring back to your comments before I make the final choice. :thumbsup:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I bought a Horton 175 a couple years ago. I don't know if it's me, or not, but I don't much care for it. It shots fine, accurate, just kind of heavy, and cumbersome. I wish I'd have researched more and just spent a couple hundred more and got a decent vertical. I'm going to give it one more shot this fall and see.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I've boiled it down to The Excalibur "Exocet 200" or the Excalibur "Vortex", the later of which has a thumbhole stock. I don't know if this makes any difference or is just a matter of preference but I'm going to handle them both and see before I make the final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom