Thinking about getting a Hi-Point Carbine anybody have one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Thinking about getting a Hi-Point carbine now that I'm shooting hand guns and it's a PITA getting 22LR cheap. Plus I can shot said gun at indoor handgun ranges.
    I'd like some pros and cons from real users of the Hi-Points.

For the price of the Hi-Point (I know you get what you pay for) and ability to get ammo to shoot it I think it's a better deal than getting a 22LR hand gun or a 10/22 Ruger.

Thanks

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I had one of the old original 995s and while it was as simple and basic as you can get, it was quite accurate and fun to shoot. The trigger was less than desirable, but you get used to it. 1 inch high at 50 yards and it was good out to 100 easy. Had an extractor spring break once. Called CS and they shipped me out a whole new extractor setup at no cost.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Good to hear that they have a CS department that does their job. That's what I'm looking for a FUN cheap gun to play with. I wonder if this gun can be used for 3 gun events.

Is the carbine picky about what kind of ammo you feed it?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    They had a table of them in Easton. Heavier than I expected, they felt good.

You may want to recalculate your cost of ammo. Even $60/brick 22 is cheaper than 9mm.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I have a friend with one he bought at a Sheriff's auction in Pennsylvania.

He also had an extractor failure which was promptly repaired by Hi-Point.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Good to hear that they have a CS department that does their job. That's what I'm looking for a FUN cheap gun to play with. I wonder if this gun can be used for 3 gun events.

Is the carbine picky about what kind of ammo you feed it?

Not one bit. Gun snobs will laugh at you and talk crap about them all day, but they do what they were made to do. For the money, they are great, fun little toys.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    They had a table of them in Easton. Heavier than I expected, they felt good.

You may want to recalculate your cost of ammo. Even $60/brick 22 is cheaper than 9mm.

Yes BigDaddy 22lr at inflated prices it's still cheaper just to hard to get locally and on a whim. At least I can go to the local ammo supplier and get 9mm target loads almost any day of the week unlike 22lr.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a 9mm in classic stock and a 40S&W in tactical stock. I love them both. They are accurate, reliable, and will eat whatever you feed them.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hi Point Carbines?

Many folks on the forum have Hi Point carbines. They are economical and fun plinkers. They'll eat anything they're fed and want more. Most of the time they're boringly accurate.

The problem with HP carbines is they tend to multiply...:innocent0

Attachments

• HP Carbines - 4 DSC03255.jpg
      HP Carbines - 4 DSC03255.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 540

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Many folks on the forum have Hi Point carbines. They are economical and fun plinkers. They'll eat anything they're fed and want more. Most of the time they're boringly accurate.

The problem with HP carbines is they tend to multiply...:innocent0

I think I might just act like my family of guns is on welfare and multiply :rofl:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I saw many at the Carlisle Gun Show yesterday. Had been thinking about the 9mm for a while. Sat down and Google'd reviews for 1/2 hour. After reading them and watching a few YouTube videos, I became convinced that, at $269 +tax, it was a good deal, so it came home with me. Don't think I'll regret it...

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have a 9mm.... it is by far the least reliable gun I own. I don't shoot it anymore since it is a PITA. Failure to feed/extract about every 5th round. It is strictly a safe queen now. One of the only guns I regret buying.

They've got a lifetime warranty, why not contact them and get it taken care of?

Sirex