• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Lately I have been saving up to get a PTR 91, but I have earned a bit of money shoveling snow and selling some school books online. With that extra money (and my birthday coming soon), I have been thinking about buying a shotgun. I already have an AR15, USP 9mm, 10/22, and Mauser K98k. SInce I have other kinds of guns I was thinking a shotgun might be good to get.

From what I have read online, the Remington 870 seems like a good choice. I would like to get one that is not too expensive, but still reliable. I would mainly use it at the range and possibly HD, although my USP is already my HD gun, so I'm thinking an 18-20" barrel would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would an 870 be a good idea?

pitjeep

R.I.P.
    Jun 6, 2008
    pittsville
    i have an 12 ga express ill be selling soon.28 inch barrel.i used the barrel on another gun for a shoot.the rest of the gun is unfired.280.00

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Lately I have been saving up to get a PTR 91, but I have earned a bit of money shoveling snow and selling some school books online. With that extra money (and my birthday coming soon), I have been thinking about buying a shotgun. I already have an AR15, USP 9mm, 10/22, and Mauser K98k. SInce I have other kinds of guns I was thinking a shotgun might be good to get.

From what I have read online, the Remington 870 seems like a good choice. I would like to get one that is not too expensive, but still reliable. I would mainly use it at the range and possibly HD, although my USP is already my HD gun, so I'm thinking an 18-20" barrel would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would an 870 be a good idea?

I bought an 870 Express last year.I don't think you need a magnum for home defense but that's just my opinion. 2 3/4 00 bucks seems more than adequate. (no ammo pellet size arguments please) If it's for HD then yes an 18.5 inch barrel is just about right. You can always but longer barrels if you want to shoot trap or related sporting stuff or hunt.

My only regret is not buying the model with the +2 mag extension from the factory. New 870's with a 4 shot mag tube have little metal dimples in the tube that make adding a +2 extension a bit of a chore as the dimples have to be ground down with a Dremel to get a +2 extension installed. Then you have to figure out how to keep the bare metal from rusting after you do the grinding. Some folks report the mag follower and spring sometimes getting stuck after the mod as well.You may try to find a used 870 Police model as they use better internals. I chose not to modify mine for the above reason and I figured the balance is perfect right now so I settled on the stock 4 round mag.. If that isn't enough I'm in big trouble. I've had no problems with mine. I shoot slugs at the NRA and Izaac Walton league with mine.

The only mods I made were a 4 shell sidesaddle, Surefire fore end light and a Knoxx recoil reducing stock. The stock helped but I'm not sure it's worth the 119 bucks I paid for it. The light and sidesaddle were.

Look at the Remington tactical models on Remington's web site if you want some ideas for getting some of this stuff stock from the factory. The stupid breecher choke is mall ninja stuff IMO. YMMV.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    What is your thoughts on a Browing Gold Hunter 28"? (Belgium) I'm sure it is a little long for the living room...but outside?
    Thanks in advance !

My first gun for home defense was a Mossberg 500 12ga with a 28" vent rib barrel. I live in a small apartment. I was able to practice moving around with the shotgun to assure that I didn't bump into anything.

With proper preparation and training, anything can be a valuable HD tool.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As a home defense gun, a 12ga is hand down a superior weapon to a handgun. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are both well built guns. If you care, the top of the line 870 is the Wingmaster, the best 500's are generally ones built on government contracts. Send a PM to keepshooting, he may have a few gov't model 500's left.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I would get a regular 870 with the standard 28" barrel. Then find a 18-20" smooth bore slug barrel for the HD. Lots of those barrels around for cheap.

a mossy 500 would work also.

you could also get A HD gun and then but a longer barrel if you wanted.
    The HD gun sites are BS if you ask me. don't think you would be putting it up to your shoulder and aiming in a HD situation.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    590 might as well go with the A1 now they seem plentiful (Cabelas has run some great specials). I have both (old Police trade in 590 is my beater) and the A1 (Talo with ported barrel) handles better.

Or go semi with a 930 SPX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom