• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I've been following this topic for a while and I'm about to take the plunge into reloading. I'll primarily be loading .45 ACP as that's the round I shoot most.

After all of my research I'm leaning toward a Lee Pro 1000 kit from Midway. At $156.00 for the base caliber, it seems like a pretty low cost of entry. The main issue I've read on these is that the primer system is crap. I don't anticipate any issues with doing a clean - inspect - hand prime then move to the press work flow but I thought before I pat myself on the back I should ask you guys. I mean, you've actually DONE it before. Call me a "pre-loader" until I actually pull the handle.

So, after that long pre-amble, I'm asking if this strategy is sound and if the Lee Pro 1000 makes sense for me. I can't pop for a Dillon right now but I do intend to set up a quick change turret for this press for 9mm luger and .223 each if the .45 process lives up to my expectations.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a Pro1000, use it for .223 and .45ACP - I personally have had no issues with the priming system, if you run low on primer's - you may have one that tries to seat sideways or upside down occasionally, but aside from that I have had 0 issues priming on the press.

Honestly, unless your going for maximum precision with .223 loads, I wouldn't bother - I started with .223 hoping to spend less on ammo, well I do - but is it worth the time invested, that's something only you can answer.

For 9mm and .45 - go for it, just bear in mind it's not going to produce as much as a Dillon per session, but it'll do it's job and it will crank out a fair amount of rounds per session.

Cowboy T

I use a pair of Pro 1000's on a regular basis. Matter of fact, one of them is set up for .38 Special (in the middle of a run now), and the other's set up for .44 Magnum (also in the middle of that run). The .38 Special press has roughly 30,000 rounds on its clock (I shoot .38 and .357M a lot); the other has about 6,000. The presses work just fine, including the priming system. The key is to keep the priming system clean. Just do that, and pay attention (good advice always, regardless of press), and a Pro 1000 will spit out many rounds of high-quality rounds in very short order.

The .38 Spl Pro 1000 generally gives me close to 400 rounds/hour. BTW, that's as measured over a full 60 minutes, starting from an empty press, including restocking the powder hopper, primer tray, and case feeder tubes, not that "do it for 10 minutes and multiply by 6 with a pre-stocked press" nonsense. The one for .44 Magnum, which also does .45 Colt, will give me just over 300 in that same period of time, due to the larger case. That's fast enough for me. :-)

I have several videos on the care and feeding of the Pro 1000 press on my Web site. These are free downloads and will play natively in both Firefox and Opera without any plugins needed.

However, if you're just starting to "take the plunge", I'd suggest you also--i. e. in addition to, not in replacement of--get an inexpensive single-stage press to learn on, along with that hand-primer. Seriously. Learn the steps of reloading individually so you know what to look for. Some can jump head-first into progressive reloading with no problems. But not everyone can do that. After you do go progressive, that single-stage will not go to waste, I assure you. Even with both of my Pro 1000's on the bench, I still use my single-stage for various tasks on a very regular basis!

This suggestion is for your safety, BTW.

- T

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I agree with Cowboy T and BradMacc82.
    The primer system is not crap but is a cleverly engineered, inexpensive gravity feed system The slide should be clean and have sufficient primers (i.e enough weight) to properly seat the next one-otherwise it will hang up or misfeed the primer. Keep it clean and have enough primers in the slide and it won't jam.
    Also be aware that if you do allow the machine to hang up, you must recognize that you can short stroke the machine while clearing it and wind up with a squib.
    Watch those videos.
    I think it's a great deal at the present sale price.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I have a fond memory of the Lee Pro1000. The day I threw it in the trashcan and replaced it with a press that really works. Cowboy T did a great job with the videos but it's still making the best of a bad press IMHO.

Cowboy T

Ah, I wish I'd known about that before you threw it away.

Standing invitation: those who have Pro 1000's that they want to toss in the garbage, please let me know. I would not mind one bit taking it off your hands. I'll even come up to your location if you're close enough, and if not, I'll be glad to pay the shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom