• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    So I'm thinking seriously of building my own AR. After spending a few hours searching through the mdshooters forum posts, I think I have a pretty good grasp on what constitutes a legal or illegal AR in Maryland. That said, I wanted to put my idea to the community and give someone who may know better than me the chance to jump up and say "NO DON'T, YOU'll GET IN TROUBLE!"

What I'm pondering doing is purchasing, milling and assembling the following:

H-BAR Barrel (with bolt carrier):
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/16-flute...pper-receiver-assembly-br-556-223-p-4478.html

80% Receiver:
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/ar15-80-lower-receiver-no-ffl-required-p-5378.html

Stock:
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/mil-spec-6position-collapsible-stock-kit-p-6639.html

Trigger and Parts:
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/ar15-lower-receiver-parts-kit-standard-p-6645.html

What I'd like to know from those more knowledgeable than me is, am I correct in believing that this would be a Maryland legal AR?

Thanks everyone who chooses to comment!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes this would be Maryland compliant.

However I'm not sure if you realize that the lower receiver you linked above is not finished. You will need to purchase some tools and fixtures to drill or mill out the fire control group pocket. If you already knew this then you are good. If not find some youtube videos showing how to complete an 80% lower.

The only real advantage is to have a firearm that you do not have to serialize and no background check is required.

Once you complete the lower you technically own a firearm. Just be sure you are legally able to possess a firearm.

If you did not intend to mill out a lower you can buy a complete lower from a maryland FFL dealer. You can find them for around $100-120. You will have to fill out the federal background check forms and wait 1 week before you can take it home.

One more thing the parts you are choosing are not really anything high end. You can purchase a complete Bear Creek AR for less than $500. I saw them at the last Howard County show for $475.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    An 80% is more money than you think. For the price of the jig, bits, and the lower, you could buy 2-4 stripped 100% lowers from a local gun store.

You might be able to find the parts for cheaper at Primary Arms, MidwayUSA, Brownell's, Red Barn Armory, Joe Bob Outfitters, and a few others.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'd echo above and say a striped lower would be better. Bad time to get into it with the election looming, but deals can still be had. Very easy to complete a 100% lower.

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    I did realize that I'll need to mill out the receiver and install the various parts. That's no problem.

You guys have me intrigued though about purchasing a completed one now. The reason I was thinking of doing this was to save a couple hundred bucks (I factored in the cost of the jig).

I haven't been able to find a H-Bar AR for less than 1000.00 anywhere. Am I missing something? Can someone point me to a cheaper MD legal AR?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Can always also order online for transfer at a local FFL. Lots of options. Also note, I'm talking about a 100% striped lower. You still need the LPK and buffer tube. But this way you can make it a pistol before a rifle so you can switch back and forth later on down the line.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I did realize that I'll need to mill out the receiver and install the various parts. That's no problem.

You guys have me intrigued though about purchasing a completed one now. The reason I was thinking of doing this was to save a couple hundred bucks (I factored in the cost of the jig).

I haven't been able to find a H-Bar AR for less than 1000.00 anywhere. Am I missing something? Can someone point me to a cheaper MD legal AR?
    If you source all the parts on your own and assemble it, you will save money. But the cost of the jig and bits kills it for me.

Hbar barrels can be found all over the place.

Also if you ask, I'm pretty sure a fellow member would be willing to help you out during the build process, so you can learn how to do it.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Here's all you need:

Attachments

• Peashooter.jpg
      Peashooter.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 1,511

Sirex