• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Looking to get into black powder. Anyone have experience with this particular rifle?

I am looking for a budget first BP rifle and my father just got one of the Thompson Impacts. Feels great in my hands and looks to be built decently for for price.

Any input from the masses? Anyone have one they are looking to sell to upgrade? Any thoughts appreciated.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thompson Center makes decent guns. I would try it as an entry level gun, though I have no experience with this particular rifle. You'll love ML shooting and hunting. I promise.

I've never tried it. I grew up on cartridge rifles and never saw the reason to experiment with BP. Now I want to get into it to expand my season.

I keep hearing how much fun it is. We will see.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Patience.:) I have one not shot much, but good gun. Put a little light grease on the shiny area under the breech. When you open it its at the bottom of the part you pull back on to open. I use TC 250 grain Shockwaves. Don't waste your time with Powerbelts. TC barrels are a little undersize, takes a good push to seat bullets.

wdc5008

Nov 7, 2015
    Frederick County
    I picked one up last year and I think it's a good BP gun for the price. The fiber optic iron sights are easy to pick up on and make for easy open sighted shots. Bagged a deer in the Frederick watershed this season with it.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I picked one up last year and I think it's a good BP gun for the price. The fiber optic iron sights are easy to pick up on and make for easy open sighted shots. Bagged a deer in the Frederick watershed this season with it.

WOW! First post after a year! Congrats!

OP, don't have an impact but an omega and a bunch of sidelocks from T/C and they all work fine. Not sure T/C made any bad ones...hope that helps.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    Patience.:) I have one not shot much, but good gun. Put a little light grease on the shiny area under the breech. When you open it its at the bottom of the part you pull back on to open. I use TC 250 grain Shockwaves. Don't waste your time with Powerbelts. TC barrels are a little undersize, takes a good push to seat bullets.

Ditto on the Power Belts. I've never seen them shoot well out of anything. As for the difficulty ramming bullets, usually doesn't happen til after first or second shot out of my Encore. If I reload out in the field after a shot or two, I moisten the sabot a little with my lips making sure not to get any saliva on the bottom of the sabot. Works like a charm. When I'm on the range, I swab the bore after every other shot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My grandson wanted a Traditions inline for Christmas but I upgraded him to a T/C Impact. I have a lot of T/C stuff and am happy with what you get for the money.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have an older model CVA Accura I'll sell ya if you are interested. Decent rifle, I just wanted something that doesn't require a wrench to remove the plug.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Bought one last year on sale, but haven't had a chance to shoot it. I read nothing but good reviews about it. Both the Company and the specific rifle had basically nothing but good reviews. Especially for the price.

Ericw

Feb 28, 2012
    Greencastle, PA
    I have one. It feels handy - I enjoy carrying it and hunting with it. I like that it is blued rather than a matte finish. It fits me well with a scope. I am having trouble finding a peep sight for it that won't require a new front sight. The stock is cheap and a bit crude. Hopefully Boyd's will start making a stock for it and I can upgrade someday.

I haven't found the right load for it yet though - it's shooting about 6" groups at 90 yards right now. That was with Winchester shotshell primers, 85 or 90 grains of BH209, and Traditions 250gr sabots. Hoping to experiment and improve the groups after rifle season.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Bought my son one for Christmas a few years back. He has shot several deer with it. This year, he's 13, we raised the powder level to 90 grains of 777 and a Remington Kleanbore 209 primer. It is shooting the 250 grain Shockwaves into a 3 inch group at 100 yards. He loves the gun and it is adaptable to kids since you can take 1" from the length of pull. It is a solid gun and shoots well. With the hooded breach it is good in the elements as well.

I shoot an Omega, also a good intro gun and have killed 40 or so deer with mine. Also a good gun.

Vic

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

Ditto on the Power Belts. I've never seen them shoot well out of anything. As for the difficulty ramming bullets, usually doesn't happen til after first or second shot out of my Encore. If I reload out in the field after a shot or two, I moisten the sabot a little with my lips making sure not to get any saliva on the bottom of the sabot. Works like a charm. When I'm on the range, I swab the bore after every other shot.

My grandson wanted a Traditions inline for Christmas but I upgraded him to a T/C Impact. I have a lot of T/C stuff and am happy with what you get for the money.

I have one. It feels handy - I enjoy carrying it and hunting with it. I like that it is blued rather than a matte finish. It fits me well with a scope. I am having trouble finding a peep sight for it that won't require a new front sight. The stock is cheap and a bit crude. Hopefully Boyd's will start making a stock for it and I can upgrade someday.

I haven't found the right load for it yet though - it's shooting about 6" groups at 90 yards right now. That was with Winchester shotshell primers, 85 or 90 grains of BH209, and Traditions 250gr sabots. Hoping to experiment and improve the groups after rifle season.

Bought my son one for Christmas a few years back. He has shot several deer with it. This year, he's 13, we raised the powder level to 90 grains of 777 and a Remington Kleanbore 209 primer. It is shooting the 250 grain Shockwaves into a 3 inch group at 100 yards. He loves the gun and it is adaptable to kids since you can take 1" from the length of pull. It is a solid gun and shoots well. With the hooded breach it is good in the elements as well.

I shoot an Omega, also a good intro gun and have killed 40 or so deer with mine. Also a good gun.

Vic

This seems to be the norm... all good reviews on that rifle. I'm sold. I will be picking one up very soon.

I was actually given a CVA Buckhorn Mag a few days ago to get my feet wet in the black powder realm. I will be forwarding that karma by giving the CVA to my brother in law when I buy the Thompson.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I picked one up last year, I've shot three deer with it so far. 250 grain shockwaves over 100 grains pyrodex. I get around 2.5" groups at 100 yards, certainly good enough to hunt around my property. Easy to maintain/clean, and you can't beat the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom