• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    We should set up an "Industry Partners" section for law firms! Hey, it used to be dealer connection....industry partners is pretty broad.

md123, this isn't directed to you. But, I don't think most people have any idea how much a good (or even just decent) attorney costs. They are very expensive.

In the context of this message thread, I think what most people are looking for is deeply discounted legal advice (which will end up being essentially free). I don't see very many attorneys (maybe zero) signing up for the IP section.

7A38

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Not sure about you but I expect the final bill to be full of ambiguity when it's all said and done (purposefully IMO). There are VERY experienced & helpful people on this forum, but let's face it...none of these threads should be considered to be legal advice you'd bet your freedom or bank account on.

Has anyone thought about lining up suitable representation to discuss the final product.....or at least have a number to call should we get wrapped up in some technicality of the bill? Let's say I'm pulled over with a legitimately grandfathered rifle: I know enough to not spend a lot of time talking to the police [see below]. I'd like to be on the phone with my counsel before they can confiscate/melt down the darn thing. Here in Montgomery County, they'd treat me worse than an actual criminal.

So I'd love any thoughts / recommendations you have on counsel. The MSI crew would probably know some 2A studs in the state.

This video is long but very entertaining/insightful. If you do nothing else, I highly recommend watching it.

Actually there is one thing you *should* say to the police: "I want to talk to my lawyer" *Then* say nothing more other than to repeat those words, over and over again if necessary.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Ayoob adds a good thing to say is that you're not feeling well, please call an ambulance. This is helpful on many levels.

MarylandDave

Nov 24, 2010
    PRM / HoCo
    md123, this isn't directed to you. But, I don't think most people have any idea how much a good (or even just decent) attorney costs. They are very expensive.

In the context of this message thread, I think what most people are looking for is deeply discounted legal advice (which will end up being essentially free). I don't see very many attorneys (maybe zero) signing up for the IP section.

7A38

I'll speak for myself here, but I'm not looking for free or discounted legal advice. I'm well aware that attorneys are expensive, and I certainly don't want to spend my life savings on legal fees, but I also don't want to be somebody's man-toy in the State prison.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    I'll speak for myself here, but I'm not looking for free or discounted legal advice. I'm well aware that attorneys are expensive, and I certainly don't want to spend my life savings on legal fees, but I also don't want to be somebody's man-toy in the State prison.

This is why I posted the idea of group study and support of civil rights law: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2301757

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Pretty sure if you scroll all the way to the bottom their is one already there. Got added in the last month or so I believe.

:banghead: my bad! Didn't know that was added. Its a start but only one firm. I'll check them out.

Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    Just wondering: Do some lawyers have some sort of "pre-pay" service when you send money to them to build up an account and use it when the time is needed?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

7A38

I tend to give my clients some free advice now and then. I'm both a CPA and an attorney, so I do a lot of tax preparation this time of year. My rule is generally that if I do a client's tax return, I don't mind answering the phone for a simple 10 or 15 minute question every once in a while. Same thing goes for clients of mine that have been clients for years and years. I have had my own practice for 11 years now and some clients have been with me all 11 years. I'll gladly pick up the phone for a 10 minute conversation that answers their question and not charge them for it. My motto is "Take care of people and they will take care of you."

As far as SB281 and the new laws are concerned, I would caution all of you to speak to an attorney about them if you are the least bit confused about any of it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you can keep yourself out of trouble in the first place, it is a lot cheaper than getting into trouble and then needing an attorney and possibly losing your 2nd Amendment right if the charge is serious enough. Don't fool yourself into thinking that just because you have an attorney, you are going to get off of whatever you are charged with. It all comes down to what the State can prove and what reasonable doubt you can create.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Anyone have a list or the name of a 2nd A attorney in So MD? I would put one on retainer and don't just want a criminal defense attorney.

Most 2nd Amendment attorneys looking to change bad law are looking for specific plaintiffs to test the law, just like the Heller case. Several plaintiffs were selected in that case to make sure that somebody would have standing to fight the DC laws.

If you are charged with some type of firearm violation, I don't know if a 2nd Amendment specific attorney is going to take the case. If you look at most attorneys that say they are 2nd Amendment attorneys, you will see that they also take other criminal cases. Unless you are talking about Gura or other attorneys that challenge bad gun control laws, it is my position that using "2nd Amendment attorney" is akin to using the buzzword "common sense". It just means that a criminal attorney will take a case involving a gun crime.

Now, if you are out to challenge what you believe is bad gun control law, then a 2nd Amendment attorney is exactly what you need. Trying to argue a 2nd Amendment position when you are a felon caught possessing a firearm is akin to arguing that the federal income tax is un-Constitutional. The result in both cases is you end up being found guilty, and like Wesley Snipes you go to jail for a couple years for tax evasion.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Most 2nd Amendment attorneys looking to change bad law are looking for specific plaintiffs to test the law, just like the Heller case. Several plaintiffs were selected in that case to make sure that somebody would have standing to fight the DC laws.

If you are charged with some type of firearm violation, I don't know if a 2nd Amendment specific attorney is going to take the case. If you look at most attorneys that say they are 2nd Amendment attorneys, you will see that they also take other criminal cases. Unless you are talking about Gura or other attorneys that challenge bad gun control laws, it is my position that using "2nd Amendment attorney" is akin to using the buzzword "common sense". It just means that a criminal attorney will take a case involving a gun crime.

Now, if you are out to challenge what you believe is bad gun control law, then a 2nd Amendment attorney is exactly what you need. Trying to argue a 2nd Amendment position when you are a felon caught possessing a firearm is akin to arguing that the federal income tax is un-Constitutional. The result in both cases is you end up being found guilty, and like Wesley Snipes you go to jail for a couple years for tax evasion.

I don't think we're looking to strike down laws on this thread. Rather, we'd like to know of counsel who is already familiar with firearms & the law when we need them.

I can't imagine hiring a "normal" defense attorney who doesn't know a magazine from a clip or has to read SB281 for the first time while I'm in full freak-out mode because something has gone wrong. They might be a fine attorney but they shouldn't have to google "HBAR" to know what it means when I'm sitting in he back of a police cruiser.

Maybe the answer is not a "2A" counsel but it's probably a defense attorney who is conversant in 'guns' and is current on this legislation & pertinent case law. I'm in Montgomery County, so I'd image that's a harder person to find than in say Frederick. Hence this thread....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't think we're looking to strike down laws on this thread. Rather, we'd like to know of counsel who is already familiar with firearms & the law when we need them.

I can't imagine hiring a "normal" defense attorney who doesn't know a magazine from a clip or has to read SB281 for the first time while I'm in full freak-out mode because something has gone wrong. They might be a fine attorney but they shouldn't have to google "HBAR" to know what it means when I'm sitting in he back of a police cruiser.

Maybe the answer is not a "2A" counsel but it's probably a defense attorney who is conversant in 'guns' and is current on this legislation & pertinent case law. I'm in Montgomery County, so I'd image that's a harder person to find than in say Frederick. Hence this thread....

That I can relate to. I was in law school when I had my first run ins with DNR. I was charged with having a loaded firearm in my vehicle while dove hunting. That wasn't the case, but the DNR agent charged me with it anyway. While testifying, she said she never heard me "rack" the shell after I got out of the car on the opposite side of the car from her. Thing is, I was hunting with an o/u. The attorney representing me was the guy I was clerking for at the time at a personal injury firm. He had been a public defender for PG County for a while. Anyway, it took a miracle for me to try and explain to him why she NEVER would have heard me "rack" a shell in a double barrel shotgun. Just trying to explain the difference between a shotgun and a rifle to him was hard enough. He was also anti-gun. Long story short, I was found "not guilty" on that one, but I had to testify myself to get me out of it and the assistant state's attorney tried to twist my words too.

Same thing goes for criminal attorneys trying to do DNR violations. Most of them have no clue about hunting or fishing.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    That I can relate to. I was in law school when I had my first run ins with DNR. I was charged with having a loaded firearm in my vehicle while dove hunting. That wasn't the case, but the DNR agent charged me with it anyway. While testifying, she said she never heard me "rack" the shell after I got out of the car on the opposite side of the car from her. Thing is, I was hunting with an o/u. The attorney representing me was the guy I was clerking for at the time at a personal injury firm. He had been a public defender for PG County for a while. Anyway, it took a miracle for me to try and explain to him why she NEVER would have heard me "rack" a shell in a double barrel shotgun. Just trying to explain the difference between a shotgun and a rifle to him was hard enough. He was also anti-gun. Long story short, I was found "not guilty" on that one, but I had to testify myself to get me out of it and the assistant state's attorney tried to twist my words too.

Same thing goes for criminal attorneys trying to do DNR violations. Most of them have no clue about hunting or fishing.

Right. That's the key. Know the relevant law. And know the issues so they can ask the right questions in court. Frankly its going to be a growth industry. .....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Right. That's the key. Know the relevant law. And know the issues so they can ask the right questions in court. Frankly its going to be a growth industry. .....

I hope you are wrong about that part.

As far as guns are concerned, they have been a serious hobby of mine since I was 6 years old, which was 35 years ago. Finally getting started on my first AR build and learning all the acronyms (e.g., BCG) for it has been pretty fun, along with learning how to build one. Been reloading shotgun shells since I was about 16 years old and started reloading metallic when I turned 30. I love discussing ballistics, but most shooters I know really don't understand it.

The hobbies I am pretty passionate about are hunting, shooting, fishing, cycling, and tinkering. Tinkering includes pretty much everything under the sun. Installed my own wood burning furnace last year. Replaced all the brake lines on my 98 Ford Taurus last year. Really looking forward to building a 30' x 40' stand alone garage and an AR or two this year. Then I am going to get a welder and start working on building my own log splitter.

Luckily, I am also pretty passionate about my day job.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Senator Mike Miller is a practicing defense attorney, and get people out little things like rape charges. I'm sure he'd be happy to step in and help you. :lol2:

jstriplets

Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone have any info or thoughts on the defense shield offered by the USCCA??

I am NOT advertising for them just looking for thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom