• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    In the market for one more can, pistol for both 9mm and 45. Someone at a local shop suggested the Osprey and I am intrigued, but concerned about the lack of ability to disassemble it (all of my other cans can be disassembled). It also has aluminum in it's construction, so that limits what can be used for cleaning. It pretty well fits the bill othewise, can even use it on my 300blk, but I use a rifle can on it normally. I will shoot primarily subsonic pistol ammo through it, so I do worry about cleaning. Should I be?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Generally considered obsolete, but it's not a bad can per se. Most centerfire cans are sealed and do not allow disassembly. The problem with it is that it doesn't always succeed in allowing you to use normal height sights, and optics on pistols have become radically more popular anyways.

I think silencers on pistols are kind of a gimmick anyways, but if I were doing it anyways, I'd rather have an Omega 36M or similar.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In the market for one more can, pistol for both 9mm and 45. Someone at a local shop suggested the Osprey and I am intrigued, but concerned about the lack of ability to disassemble it (all of my other cans can be disassembled). It also has aluminum in it's construction, so that limits what can be used for cleaning. It pretty well fits the bill othewise, can even use it on my 300blk, but I use a rifle can on it normally. I will shoot primarily subsonic pistol ammo through it, so I do worry about cleaning. Should I be?
    I wouldn't worry too much. I have a Osprey 45 and I like the fact that I don't need to use suppressor height sights with it. It does suppress a 45ACP rather well for a can that breaks the cylinder suppressor mold.

There is no need to disassemble a centerfire can. The pressure of the centerfire ammo in the can will keep it for the most part clean ish and blow crud out on firing.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have one and like it, although I don’t use it much. It basically goes to the range with my Para Ordnance P14 .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Generally considered obsolete, but it's not a bad can per se. Most centerfire cans are sealed and do not allow disassembly. The problem with it is that it doesn't always succeed in allowing you to use normal height sights, and optics on pistols have become radically more popular anyways.

I think silencers on pistols are kind of a gimmick anyways, but if I were doing it anyways, I'd rather have an Omega 36M or similar.
    36M will only go to 9mm, but I do love my 36M

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed it's practically obsolete. Centerfire cans with jacketed ammo usually collect fouling to a point, then breaks it up and it flakes out to keep relatively clean. Have seen some claim polycoat or cast loads especially with lower pressure or dirty ammo can add buildup that can affect performance, or break off in large chunks and risk a baffle strike if you fire something hot through it after a long range session. Not sure if that happens frequently or not, and if something did go wrong, Sico's warranty is pretty good. The Osprey is a fairly large and heavy can with a monocore, so massive FRP. IMO weight/size is a huge consideration, a decent K can ends up being better in use than a large restrictive can. Of course if you want to use it on PCCs, there may be additional considerations. I do have a 36M and love it, but usually use user serviceable cans on my pistols, and primarily use the 36M on rifles, or occasionally the K config on PCCs, but only with clean ammo.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks for all the feedback, still weighing the options. I need to do a bit more research before I start the long wait.. I'm not ruling out anything at this point, but I want to look at other options as well. I don't own a pcc currently, so that is not an issue. It would be primarily for pistols. I have a few optic outfitted pistols, adding suppressor height sights is not a big deal if need be to clear a can, but I don't want a big, bulky can on the end of the pistol if I'm primarily going to shoot subs anyway. I know many don't 'clean' their centerfire cans, but for a pistol shooting mostly subsonic ammo, I'd like to have that option. My rifle can is user serviceable as are my rimfire cans (obviously). Off to do more research....

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    What about lead fouling is shooting lead boolits? Is that a concern?
    Yes, if you are pushing them fast enough, that might be a concern. I cast, but I coat all of my bullets, so that is not an issue for me other than in rimfire cans where the 'user serviceable' aspect becomes important. I'd say lead fouling is more of an issue than powder fouling in 22 cans shooting lead projectiles.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I bought a SilencerCo Osprey 45 a few years ago when I was mainly shooting 9mm but was looking to get a 45 caliber 1911. But I found the recoil on the 45 caliber a bit too much for me to handle, so I stayed with 9mm and subsequently purchased an Osprey 9. I still have the Osprey 45 but I find that I use the Osprey 9 more mainly because it is smaller and lighter. But both are excellent suppressors.

Cal68

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I would consider a 9mm can, but I have one and want to build at least one more 45 that could be suppressed, so on one hand, I hate to not have that option, but on the other hand, I realize that many 45 cans are a bit bigger or longer to handle the added suppression needs. This usually means they suppress the smaller calibers almost as well as a dedicated 9mm can does, but with added weight/length often times. Tradeoffs.... lol

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would consider a 9mm can, but I have one and want to build at least one more 45 that could be suppressed, so on one hand, I hate to not have that option, but on the other hand, I realize that many 45 cans are a bit bigger or longer to handle the added suppression needs. This usually means they suppress the smaller calibers almost as well as a dedicated 9mm can does, but with added weight/length often times. Tradeoffs.... lol
    Get 2 cans. 9 and a 45. If you do get just the one, add in the cost an additional piston for the 9. It is a different thread pitch.
    I am a big fan of SiCo. If the price is right, I would not hesitate on the Osprey. SiCo service for me has been outstanding. Rugged Obsidian is also a solid choice.
    And before you ask, you dont want to shoot 22 through it. That will junk it up. That will require a 3rd can dedicated to 22.
    I think I see a trend here. :innocent0

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm pretty sold on one 45 can that will cover everything I really need. I know I need different pistons for the smaller calibers, but that's not an issue.

I already have two dedicated 22 cans, so they are covered well and I have a 30cal rifle can that covers pretty much all of my long gun needs.

The Obsidian is in the running and I wouldn't rule out a Banish45 from Silencer Central either, though they are a bit more $.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Rugged obsidian 45 I am very happy with. Can also use it with 350 Legend, 45-70, and 450 Bushmaster. 3 lug adapter pin and weld on the SBR.

IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPEG

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Calico, do you have knowledge of the Obsidian 45 used with 45-70, (bucket list cal. for me) I'm just really curious lol.
    Thinking of it there's probably very little noticeable difference in reduction between a 9/45 can when shooting 9mm right.
    Sorry Sticky, don't mean to hijack your thread.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Calico, do you have knowledge of the Obsidian 45 used with 45-70, (bucket list cal. for me) I'm just really curious lol.
    Thinking of it there's probably very little noticeable difference in reduction between a 9/45 can when shooting 9mm right.
    Sorry Sticky, don't mean to hijack your thread.
    I have not personally used my Obsidian with 45-70 but Rugged says it will work. The only down side to the 45 can is it's longer than the 9mm model (8.6" vs 7.8").

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have not personally used my Obsidian with 45-70 but Rugged says it will work. The only down side to the 45 can is it's longer than the 9mm model (8.6" vs 7.8").
    I have a 45 OBS. I just looked on the Rugged website and the do sell a 11/16x24 thread mount that fits my Ruger Trapper 45/70. I have use a Hybrid on it, but I lost the thread mount. I think I just might know the SiCO mount got off to.
    Anyway, if the OBS does indeed 45/70, I will use that on it. Some of the load can get quite stout. I will call Monday an ask. The website says 450 Bushmaster and mentions most "common" lever calibers.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sorry Sticky, don't mean to hijack your thread.IT
    It's all good, the more info the better! I do like the Obsidian, it is in the running for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom