• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have a 45 OBS. I just looked on the Rugged website and the do sell a 11/16x24 thread mount that fits my Ruger Trapper 45/70. I have use a Hybrid on it, but I lost the thread mount. I think I just might know the SiCO mount got off to.
    Anyway, if the OBS does indeed 45/70, I will use that on it. Some of the load can get quite stout. I will call Monday an ask. The website says 450 Bushmaster and mentions most "common" lever calibers.
    Looking at reviews and specs, it does say 45-70, though as with many higher pressure cartridges, there may be some barrel length restrictions on that one.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Found the specs from Rugged....

Screenshot 2024-01-27 095131.png

Screenshot 2024-01-27 095054.png

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why does it say 458 Socom subs only but any 45-70? Modern 45-70 is considerably hotter than 458 socom.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    For what its worth....

I would not consider a suppressor that is circular that has direct threads. QD or 3 Lug, sure. Not direct threads. The offset can like the Osprey is clearly superior IMO. I can't tell you how many times I watch guys shoot, re-tighten, shoot, re-tighten, shoot, burn hands re-tightening....etc. On the offset can, you can tell when its unscrewing and it will only do about an 1/8 a turn before gravity kicks in and keeps it from unscrewing more.

All the stuff about suppressor's spec, FRP, weight, length....etc..etc.... its all kind of BS and except in the more extreme examples does not matter much unless you have limp wrists. The most important part is how is functions and these cans that need to be constantly checked to see if they are tight, suck! Buy anything else as you will actually enjoy using it. That is why I bought an Osprey a few year ago and any "Maxim" style can like it is the way to go for pistols IMO. The being able to actually use your sights is just a plus. I like 3 lug for 9mm SMG and I like QD for rifle calibers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I mean, realistically, all pistol cans are static range toys anyways. The only one that ever really was usable for anything serious was the Maxim 9, and that was done in by a couple other factors (light strikes and trigger).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I mean, realistically, all pistol cans are static range toys anyways. The only one that ever really was usable for anything serious was the Maxim 9, and that was done in by a couple other factors (light strikes and trigger).

I am not exactly sure how that works into things but I own a Maxim 9 and I don't see how its any more serious than the others... and yes you are correct, its reliability is not super great. The price on thats Maxim 9s is pretty crazy high.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am not exactly sure how that works into things but I own a Maxim 9 and I don't see how its any more serious than the others... and yes you are correct, its reliability is not super great. The price on thats Maxim 9s is pretty crazy high.
    In terms of being able to actually put it in a holster and use it like a normal pistol (balance-wise), it's heads-and-tails better. Comparison points being an Octane 9 and 45K.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    In terms of being able to actually put it in a holster and use it like a normal pistol (balance-wise), it's heads-and-tails better. Comparison points being an Octane 9 and 45K.

Ah, yeah holstering does suck. Now I follow.

I do like my Maxim 9 even with the issues.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ah, yeah holstering does suck. Now I follow.

I do like my Maxim 9 even with the issues.
    It looks like such an awkward pistol, but it handles like a champ. Sad that there was no gen2 follow-on, but it's easily some of the best $800+$200 I've spent on NFA stuff.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    It looks like such an awkward pistol, but it handles like a champ. Sad that there was no gen2 follow-on, but it's easily some of the best $800+$200 I've spent on NFA stuff.

It is a Unique piece for sure! I am very glad I bought it.

I use it the most for night shooting. I have a surefire IR light/Laser on the bottom and a Holoson Red Dot. I found that most other suppressors have an issue with the red dots and suppressors. They tend to get the screen dirty after a while and its hard to clean that screen in the dark. Also if its cold and you shoot fast it can fog the screen. Its already hard enough to see through NGVs and a Red Dot, no need to add to it. This happens because most red dots are behind the ejection port. On the Maxim 9, the red dot is in front of the ejection port and solves both issues. Its a very cool gun and I don't usually complain about triggers but that trigger is not great. It could a bit more reliable too as I do wind up clearing a jam or two here and there.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    For what its worth....

I would not consider a suppressor that is circular that has direct threads. QD or 3 Lug, sure. Not direct threads. The offset can like the Osprey is clearly superior IMO. I can't tell you how many times I watch guys shoot, re-tighten, shoot, re-tighten, shoot, burn hands re-tightening....etc. On the offset can, you can tell when its unscrewing and it will only do about an 1/8 a turn before gravity kicks in and keeps it from unscrewing more.

All the stuff about suppressor's spec, FRP, weight, length....etc..etc.... its all kind of BS and except in the more extreme examples does not matter much unless you have limp wrists. The most important part is how is functions and these cans that need to be constantly checked to see if they are tight, suck! Buy anything else as you will actually enjoy using it. That is why I bought an Osprey a few year ago and any "Maxim" style can like it is the way to go for pistols IMO. The being able to actually use your sights is just a plus. I like 3 lug for 9mm SMG and I like QD for rifle calibers4

Valid point and I have used a few different means to overcome that issue successfully in the past, so it doesn't really concern me too much to be honest. Fingers are burned, but not from cans, previous life.... ;) lol

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Sorry, but when I saw this, I thought bird or rotorcraft.
    Carry on.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    For what you're looking for, I'd definitely go with an Obsidian 45 as well. I have an Obsidian 9 and it's a tank. I've never tested it personally, but Rugged's customer service is supposed to be top tier as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom