• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Was in a gander mountain yesterday and noticed an AR 180 that's been sitting there since before christmas. Initial handling of the rifle showed no signs of anything being broken or out of place, and something about it just seemed right. The price tag is $920 (I can't really outright afford it right now, but I could layaway it. That's the only reason I'm toying with snagging it). Does this seem like a fair price for one of the Costa Mesa guns? All I really know about em is that they use a slightly different style mag than the AR 15, which isn't of much concern given the relatively simple mods needed to make AR 15 mags work.

That's about it, let me know what you guys think :)

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    if im not mistaken, doesnt it use standard ar15 mags?

Darn near the same from what I gather. It sounds like the slot for the mag release is on the right side of the mag. So modification would be as simple as removing the hump on the left side and cutting out the notch for the mag release on the right... if I've understood what little I've read correctly.

Last edited:

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    I have a Sterling that I came across a few years back in one of the I P's, with the original box.

Paid $1000.00 for it.

I have never had it to the range yet, unfortunately, it's a safe queen.

As the "story" was told to me, it was an old mans SHTF gun, stuck in a corner and never fired. His widow brought it in to get it out of the house.

The I P said it appeared unfired, and as I considered this person more of a friend than a salesperson, (knew him outside of his business) I had no reason to not believe what I was being told.

Attachments

• AR-180 R. side.JPG
      AR-180 R. side.JPG
      33.5 KB · Views: 639

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Darn near the same from I gather. It sounds like the slot for the mag release is on the right side of the mag. So modification would be as simple as removing the hump on the left side and cutting out the notch for the mag release on the right... if I've understood what little I've read correctly.

AR180s are really cool guns. My understanding is its only the AR180B (late Armalite production with a poly lower) that uses standard AR mags.

Wish I had snagged one before the ban.........its one of my favorite rifles.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    if im not mistaken, doesnt it use standard ar15 mags?
    AR-180s take their own magazines, or you can modify AR-15 magazines. it's a very fun gun (got a Sterling one in the safe) but the magazine thing is kind of a spoiler.

well, that and them being banned in MD...

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Paid it off after work yesterday, will post pics when I get a chance. It even came with an original 20 round mag :D

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    AR180s are really cool guns. My understanding is its only the AR180B (late Armalite production with a poly lower) that uses standard AR mags.

Wish I had snagged one before the ban.........its one of my favorite rifles.

That is the model I had many years ago. Absolutely loved that gun. Sold it because I needed money at the time (college related). One of my big regrets in life. OP, I would scoop up the gun at the price (even though it isn't an Armalite).

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Photobuckets being stupid at the moment, so I can't adjust them, BUT, as promised, some photos! I was wrong on who manufactured it, it is in fact a Sterling. I need to find a new take down pin for the front, and the pin for the dust cover tried to walk out, but other than that, everything looks to be in good working order. I've even modded a 40 round pmag so I'll get to see if that works whenever I get it to the range :D

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads