• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Hey everyone. I'm finally getting around to cleaning the Grade B Molot I got earlier this year. Since this is my first Mosin I was hoping to get some opinions on the condition of the barrel and how much cleaning I can expect to put in to it.

Attachments

• IMAG0100 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0100 (800x452).jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 300
    • IMAG0103 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0103 (800x452).jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 310
    • IMAG0125 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0125 (800x452).jpg
      26.3 KB · Views: 300
    • IMAG0126 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0126 (800x452).jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 301
    • IMAG0127.jpg
      IMAG0127.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 283
    • IMAG0128.jpg
      IMAG0128.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 299
    • IMAG0129.jpg
      IMAG0129.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 296
    • IMAG0133 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0133 (800x452).jpg
      31.9 KB · Views: 298
    • IMAG0134 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0134 (800x452).jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 297
    • IMAG0135 (800x452).jpg
      IMAG0135 (800x452).jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 299

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Is that before or after cleaning? There's only so much you can do to clean it. After you put some rounds down the barrel it might clean up a little better. I've seen way worse and I have rifles with barrels worse than that and they still shoot great.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    This is before any cleaning and shooting

Looks like you should be fine. It still has some shine and strong rifling. I have an M27 Mosin that has a bore that would make you cry. I shot it last week and was very impressed. Do a good clean job and run a brush through it to break up some of the crud. It'll probably look a lot better after some cleaning.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Looks like you should be fine. It still has some shine and strong rifling. I have an M27 Mosin that has a bore that would make you cry. I shot it last week and was very impressed.

Awesome well thanks for the opinion! I do have a spam can arriving this week, so it shouldn't be long before I make it out to the range.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"m no seasoned mosin expert but at my peak this fall, I had 9 of them. 2 of the 9 had nice clean bores. One is a PU Sniper and the other was a roll of the dice $89 Grade B from Classic. The rest looked kind of like yours. Shooting it with steel jacketed surplus seems to clean up the roughness of the lands. The grooves will clean up some but not much. All the frostyness seems to do is affect how long it takes me to clean up. You got a $100 gun, it is what it is and you have IMO something typical. If you want, shoot it, then clean it, then shoot it and then clean it while its hot before you leave the range. I use the OTIS kit on mine. I can clean on the firing line and keep the muzzle pointed down range at all time. The 2 I have with better bores takes less cleaning cause there is less residue stuck in the pits. My dad just got a 1948 dated Iz M44 at the HoCo show. I don't know why he spent so much, but the bluing was near mint and the bore was so clean it looked Chrome lined. The good thing is he won't have to spend as much time cleaning a nice bore like that.

My first mosin, I scrubbed and scrubbed and it never looked any better. It was not till I started shooting it, that the lands cleaned up.

Put 8-10 rounds through it, see how it groups, then Clean it on the line while hot. Now slow it down for the next 5 shots and see how it groups. I like to just shoot my mosins at 50yds or at junk piles (which is the best).

Have Fun.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Plug the chamber with a rubber or wooden dowel rod plug.

Set the rifle up in a corner and fill the bore with solvent/cleaner and let it sit overnight.

Scrub the hell out of it and go shooting. I would power brush the snot out of the chamber too and make it shine. Use a .22 brush wrapped in green scrubbing pad. Keep it wet with cleaner while you work.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll probably do a little cleaning first, then go shooting and clean on the line then continue shooting

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    2 of my mosins looked similar. As others said, clean it, shoot it, then clean again. They all turned out fine and shot well. in fact one cleaned right up before I shot it. I usually use hoppes and a brush and then put bore bright down the barrel and let it sit for an hour or so.

If you DO use anything that you have to let sit, make sure the barrel is out of the stock, otherwise you roll the dice on the stuff dripping or leaking onto the stock and taking off the shellac and/or marring the finish.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    2 of my mosins looked similar. As others said, clean it, shoot it, then clean again. They all turned out fine and shot well. in fact one cleaned right up before I shot it. I usually use hoppes and a brush and then put bore bright down the barrel and let it sit for an hour or so.

If you DO use anything that you have to let sit, make sure the barrel is out of the stock, otherwise you roll the dice on the stuff dripping or leaking onto the stock and taking off the shellac and/or marring the finish.

This is why I set my rifles muzzle down on some paper towels when I'm doing a soak. You don't want that stuff dripping back into the receiver. I attached a spray nozzle to my big Hoppes bottle and I just do a couple sprays in the chamber and let gravity take over. After a while all the nasty stuff has soaks into the paper towel and then I do a regular clean.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    Like what others said. Shoot it and just have fun with it. Even though it looks like a sewer pipe you may be surprised how accurate it may be. Your rifling looks strong still. Shoot clean shoot clean shoot clean. I have a 91/30 that look similar and after awhile of fun at the range and extensive cleaning it shined up.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I love reading these cleaning tips threads on Mosins; everyone has their (albeit similar) own ways about it.

I always use a 90/10 Ballistol mix immediately after the range to prevent corrosion; after getting my mosins, or any rifle for that matter, home, i like using Powder Blast (Safari, they make CLP). Hoppes would be preferred if it came in an aerosol can lol.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I bet it works real well; I got a buddy who swore by brake cleaner to strip out everything in a dirty barrel. I never tried, but never doubted it worked either.

Brake cleaner is a good product to use for certain purposes. It's a powerful degreaser, so you can use it to blast residual cosmoline and crud out of the cracks and crevices of metal.

It's not good to get it on finished wood, which is hard to prevent unless the metal parts you are cleaning are removed from the firearm.

It does little or nothing for rust and residual metals left inside the bore from previous users' shooting.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In my post, I'd assumed (yea) that you'd already done some of the standard cleaning using a brush and such.
    +1 on what Macodoc says. I saw a vendor spray brake cleaner at a show into a barrel and it dripped all over the stock and pulled the shellac finish off. Needless to say, the customer picked another one.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In my post, I'd assumed (yea) that you'd already done some of the standard cleaning using a brush and such.
    +1 on what Macodoc says. I saw a vendor spray brake cleaner at a show into a barrel and it dripped all over the stock and pulled the shellac finish off. Needless to say, the customer picked another one.

Brake cleaner is basically acetone in a spray can.

Super strong and super fast drying.

Not good on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom