Thoughts on the MINI Shells? Aguila? Federal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    They're totally fun to shoot. I love the Aguila minishells in birdshot for shooting clays with a buddy. We hand throw em with one of the plastic throwers (if you were ever any good at pitching in baseball, you can wing em out there about as good as any fancy machine with any angle/curve/or pitch you want, and make it a WHOLE lot less predictable for the shooter, too!), and it's honestly just too easy with a 12ga...so shifting to minishells sort of mimics a .410 or 28ga, but without having to change guns.

Slugs make perfect sense for low recoil fun putting holes in paper; even in a single shot they aren't hateful. Buckshot would be a great home defense load for older folks who can't handle full recoil IF you can get them to run 100% in a slide/semi...but I've yet to see that happen.

Last edited:

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    In side by side/over under work great no mods needed. For Mossberg 500 the mini adapter works great. Just don’t forget and leave in there- messes up feeding regular shells. Less expensive, less recoil, fun to shoot

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Less expensive, less recoil, fun to shoot

I would argue the "less expensive" part, particularly. I've never seen minishells cheaper than standard shells, it was always the other way around. When Walmart used to have cheap birdshot for the $6 a box or whatever it was for 25 shells..minshells were actively $10-13 for 20. They are a niche round, but I don't think they were ever cheaper than standard loads.

Less Recoil, of course. Fun? Oh hell yes.

FNFZ4

Aug 7, 2016
    DC Metro
    well I was thinking of getting a Maverick 88 or a KSG. anyone have experience with those and the Minis? do I still need an adapter for those guns?

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Furthermore...they are economical to reload if you have old hulls that are burnt and crispy at the tops. Trim them suckers down in the old English fashion and rollcrimp em. You'll eventually end up with 2" or 1 3/4" stubbies with a light shot load...and you can load them cheaper than cheap (well, the same cost as reloading .410 roughly). Or use a fiber wad and throw a caliber appropriate round ball and make mini-slugs for very little per slug.

Sirex