• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    He just txt me with LT104... Sound right?

Thats what I use on my 700P/Leupold MK4. I can move that single Scope from my 700P, to one of my 2 Flatopp AR's, to my 3 AK's (TWS Gen 2 Mount), to my sons M&P15-22.

The 104 clears BUIS's and the hump on the front of the TWS Mounts. You can use up to a 50MM Objective too. FOr the 700P you have to use a CHeekrest. I have the US Armorment.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Thats what I use on my 700P/Leupold MK4. I can move that single Scope from my 700P, to one of my 2 Flatopp AR's, to my 3 AK's (TWS Gen 2 Mount), to my sons 15-22

Got me thinking now. I may need to pickup a larue setup. The bader ultra high are nice but they are practically like welding them to my flattop. I have never taken them loose since i got my rig zeroed for fear of what would happen. I have actually witnessed by buddy undo the lever on his larue to practice with his open sites, put the larue back on and he is right back to where he left off.

Would be nice to bounce my SS over to the Rem 700 whenever i wanted to.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Got me thinking now. I may need to pickup a larue setup. The bader ultra high are nice but they are practically like welding them to my flattop. I have never taken them loose since i got my rig zeroed for fear of what would happen. I have actually witnessed by buddy undo the lever on his larue to practice with his open sites, put the larue back on and he is right back to where he left off.

Would be nice to bounce my SS over to the Rem 700 whenever i wanted to.

Yup, they will return to zero as long as you put it in the same Lug Recesses. You should drop it in place, push forward then lock the levers. I do front first then rear, then lock. I like to stay consistent.

Removing the optics meakse cleaning easier because you dont have to worry about slopping up the glass with solvent or oil.

I sold ALL of my Badger Gear to convert to LaRue Q.R. Mounts

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    How does the cantilever work out on a bolt action rifle? It seems it would push the scope too far forward.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    How does the cantilever work out on a bolt action rifle? It seems it would push the scope too far forward.

Dosent cause any issues for me. I put the rear of the LT104 flush with the Rear of the Larue Scope Base. then I push the scope as far back in the rings as possible.

I can post some pics tomorrow when my Droid charges so I can take some pictures.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've been thinking about doing something similar so that I can share optics between rifles.

I'm also thinking about getting rid of the Super Sniper, it's just so frigg'n heavy... those Badger Rings are like paper weights.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I use burris signature zee rings on everything especially on spensive scopes. Plastic inserts elimenate lapping and marring of scope. I have one rifle where the rail only left me 5moa L windage and I used the inserts to center scope and add 20" of elevation to a 20 moa rail for LR...I'm sold. Only down side is they use a straight head screw and no QD options.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    You might want to check out Near manufacturing. http://www.nearmfg.com/ Expensive, but absolute perfection. No need to to lap rings, and the quality approaches art, especially on the Alpha mount.

Again, pricey, but if you call Richard and tell him what you have and what you want to do he will make you exactly what you need.

Just my .02 cents, but for a precision application I would not use a removable mount. For an AR platform, no problem, but not for this.

Good luck to you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You might want to check out Near manufacturing. http://www.nearmfg.com/ Expensive, but absolute perfection. No need to to lap rings, and the quality approaches art, especially on the Alpha mount.

Again, pricey, but if you call Richard and tell him what you have and what you want to do he will make you exactly what you need.

Just my .02 cents, but for a precision application I would not use a removable mount. For an AR platform, no problem, but not for this.

Good luck to you.

LaRue Mounts dont need lapping. Not all Q.D. Mounts are reliable and repeatable, but LaRues are true perfection. A LaRue mount will hold zero equal to any high end fixed ring. Thats a fact. If it wasnt I wohldnt be suggesting it, nor would Todd Hodnett since he does the same.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    LaRue Mounts dont need lapping. Not all Q.D. Mounts are reliable and repeatable, but LaRues are true perfection. A LaRue mount will hold zero equal to any high end fixed ring. Thats a fact. If it wasnt I wohldnt be suggesting it, nor would Todd Hodnett since he does the same.

I never knocked on Larue stuff, in fact I think it is very good kit, but I would still prefer a solid mount for a precision rifle. YMMV, but I prefer one that doesn't have a quick release. And I have yet to see a precision rig at a competition with anything other than a solid mount.

But I will admit that I have never seen Mr, Hodnett at a competition, so maybe everyone else is wrong...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I never knocked on Larue stuff, in fact I think it is very good kit, but I would still prefer a solid mount for a precision rifle. YMMV, but I prefer one that doesn't have a quick release. And I have yet to see a precision rig at a competition with anything other than a solid mount.

But I will admit that I have never seen Mr, Hodnett at a competition, so maybe everyone else is wrong...

What kind of Competitions? Benchrest? If your looking for that, then thats probably why you havent heard of him. Mr. Hodnett Wins Sniper Comps and Trains U.S. Military Snipers. He is so good at what he does Magpul Dynamics chose him to do teach them how to do long range.

People choose fixed mounts because they are set in their ways and cant adapt to new technology. Like I said, they arent just for using one scope on multiple rigs, they are for removing while transporting (Flying), and for removing to clean the weapon. On top of that you can adjust eye relief for different shooters.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    No benchrest, and not sure why you would presume to know that, but my experience is with tactical, some F-Class, law enforcement and albeit some time ago, with the Marine Corps. I've never seen a LEO or Military precision rifle with a scope mounted in a quick release mount. Not saying that there are none in use, but I have yet to see one.

Not during my time in the Marine Corps, or while with either of the law enforcement agencies I have been with (retired from one) have I ever observed anyone transport a rifle with the scope removed, nor can I see a reason to do so, unless you transport said rifle in a sock. I have also never observed anyone remove a scope to clean a rifle.

Like I said before, YMMV, but I prefer a solid mount. And no, I am not the be all and end all to precision rifles, but neither is this my first rodeo...

If you choose to use a Larue mount on a precision rifle, more power to you, but I will be sticking with my solid mount.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    There is only one way to settle this, a MD Shooter's weekend shoot!

Y'all can bring your old reliable, same scope on your gun for the past 15 years, and Chad will bring his LaRue QD setup and demonstrate his superb mounting and dismounting abilities. ;)

I have both setups, but am starting to move towards the QD mounts simply because dropping $500-1500 on a scope everytime I pick up or reconfigure a gun is getting old. I think the QD setup on 4x and below is a no brainer... on my Fulton rig I have the most ridiculous set of fixed heavy rings that they mounted and lapped for me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There is only one way to settle this, a MD Shooter's weekend shoot!

Y'all can bring your old reliable, same scope on your gun for the past 15 years, and Chad will bring his LaRue QD setup and demonstrate his superb mounting and dismounting abilities. ;)

Deal. And to make it interesting there should be $200.00 "shooters fee" for each of the 2 participants. If the LaRue loses consistency the old school guy claims the shooter fee. If the LaRue maintains consistency the LaRue guy claims it.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Deal. And to make it interesting there should be $200.00 "shooters fee" for each of the 2 participants. If the LaRue loses consistency the old school guy claims the shooter fee. If the LaRue maintains consistency the LaRue guy claims it.

I think the $200 should be put towards beer and food for the rest of us watching and egging you two on. :lol:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    This is a Base with a "Lightening Cut" (Lightens the Weight) Notice that the remove metal from the top center, from front to back:
    bo_scope_rail.jpg

Heres one without a lightening cut:
    lt-113s_rem700-rail_small.jpg

Heres the "lugs" on the bottom of a LaRue type mount (The 2 "Teeth"):

th

When you have a Mount with a lightening cut the LaRue Lugs only contacts the very edges of the lightening cuts and i mean the very edge. With recoil it will peen the lugs of the base and Larue mount over and the optic will start creeping forward under recoil.

1zyzs5v.jpg

I dont have a picture of damaged side recoil lugs on a lightening cut base, but you should get the idea....

The lightening cut does make a convenient rear sight on my shotguns though I have noticed some peening.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I don't really know anything about the fixed v. QD debate from personal experience, but for what it's worth, I recall reading in the new edition of Maj. Plaster's tome "Sniper" (great "can" reading) that he had tested many of the most popular QD mounts (without mentioning names), and, while many were close, he had yet to find one that really did "return to zero."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom