• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opticman

9mm EyeDoctor
    Sep 30, 2009
    I have been threatened with physical harm- in process of notifying authorities. This was from a fired digruntled employee of mine. Threat was by email but pretty serious - including coming to my home to do it .

Assuming some "report" or action by authorities is done, does this meet the threshold for concealed carry permit? Appreciate your thoughts

Optic

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I had a concealed carry in Maryland years ago but it wasn't granted based on your circumstances so I can't say for sure. Depending on your business and what you do, you may qualify without the threat but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Even if you do qualify, it's by no means an overnight process and someone would have quite a few opportunities to do harm in the 90 plus days it takes to receive one. (Probably longer these days)

Judging by the fact that this person threatened you by email, I'd say they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed to begin with so you're probably just dealing with someone spouting off to make themselves feel better. Anything is possible but don't let them take control through fear tactics. I'd be more concerned by the angry/unstable person who didn't say anything at all.

Best of luck to you - hopefully you'll find some help for your situation.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Judging by the fact that this person threatened you by email, I'd say they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed to begin with so you're probably just dealing with someone spouting off to make themselves feel better. ...I'd be more concerned by the angry/unstable person who didn't say anything at all.QUOTE]

It's precisely the dull tack in the box that would worry me. As to the OP, the problem will be convincing MSP that the threat is a continuing one. Woollard is a case in point.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In Maryland, a business owner or a supervisory employee with the owner's permission, may legally carry a loaded handgun, openly or concealed, while on the business premeses. No permit needed under those circumstances.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think it would fit, but nobody can predict what will happen. I believe for a threat they have an expedited process. Call tomorrow, and you may know by the end of the week.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For what it's worth, you can carry (concealed OR open) on your own property, at any time. I would not recommend open carrying outdoors, unless you know for certain that everyone who might see you is adamantly pro-gun and pro-carry (which is not very likely, in this state.)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ...or you can apply for the permit, if you get denied then carry anyway. IIRC the crux of the State's argument in the Williams case is that Williams never applied for the permit. If you apply for a valid reason and are denied, what will they argue then? As stated above, get the proper documentation, then find out what you need to do to get a permit ASAP.

tanglebones

Jan 3, 2009
    As an aside - I think the redeeming aspect of this [horrible] situation, is that you have a document (a'la email) that can be traced and attributed to the person - via IP and email account. As opposed to a verbal threat that is reported. That should help you on a number of fronts.

Stay safe and I wish you the best.

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    Get a Peace Order and document any incidents you have with this person

Agree with this completely. Document every contact in detail. I would also go through the application process providing all the available information.

Some people have offered up good information, including being able to carry at work with permission, if you are not the one who owns the business.

In my opinion, with a specific and documented threat, there is no need for MSP to keep you waiting or deny your application. Doesn't mean they won't come up with a creative way to do so.

This kind of situation really drives home how helpless our legislators really want us to be. It's very upsetting, to put it mildly.

That said...If it were me, and I were in fear for my life (as it sounds you may be), I would (after applying - regardless of MSP response) still opt to carry concealed - illegally per MD law - until I was satisfied the specific threat was no longer there. You know what they say about being judged by 12 and all...

The law will not keep me from watching my kid grow up, even if it means I do it behind bars.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    In assault and battery, one is the emotional aspect one is the physical aspect...sounds like he'd get the former against him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom