• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co
    Steel Challenge at Thurmont is year-round and the next match is the morning of Wednesday, January 11th. This will be a 4 stage official match in addition to 2 retired stages.

Wednesday morning, January 11th (4 Stages):

Wednesday morning, January 25th (4 Stages):

------------------------

Upcoming Steel Challenge matches at Thurmont:

Saturday, February 4th (8 Stages):

Wednesday morning, February 8th (4 Stages):

------------------------

Practiscore Club page:

josnyder

Jun 14, 2022
    Maryland
    Steel Challenge at Thurmont is year-round and the next match is the morning of Wednesday, January 11th. This will be a 4 stage official match in addition to 2 retired stages.

Wednesday morning, January 11th (4 Stages):

Wednesday morning, January 25th (4 Stages):

------------------------

Upcoming Steel Challenge matches at Thurmont:

Saturday, February 4th (8 Stages):

Wednesday morning, February 8th (4 Stages):

------------------------

Practiscore Club page:
    These are awesome! Matches. The steel challenge guys. Do an amazing job putting these on. Always very safe and fun shoots. Lots friendly people as well.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Noob question here. Never done any competitive shooting and thinking of trying it out. I live in Washington county so Thurmont is only 40 min or so.

I see in April they have Steel Challenge, IDPA and USPSA (plus a 2 gun). What's the difference (overview)? I remember reading some threads a few years ago and there seemed to be some comments about running stock equipment vs heavily modded weapons, etc.

I'm looking for a fun event where I'm just trying to let some lead fly with my stock handguns. Not trying to get sponsored by Sig Sauer but looking for more than just a stationary paper target. Recommended event to start? Also, my daughter is 15 and is interested, is there a min age on any of these?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Start with Steel Challenge. It’s the simplest of the three. It is great for getting kids into shooting sports. It’s how I got my son started When he was 12. no minimum age as far as I know. Just have to be safe and know the rules.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Noob question here. Never done any competitive shooting and thinking of trying it out. I live in Washington county so Thurmont is only 40 min or so.

I see in April they have Steel Challenge, IDPA and USPSA (plus a 2 gun). What's the difference (overview)? I remember reading some threads a few years ago and there seemed to be some comments about running stock equipment vs heavily modded weapons, etc.

I'm looking for a fun event where I'm just trying to lead some lead fly with my stock handguns. Not trying to get sponsored by Sig Sauer but looking for more than just a stationary paper target. Recommended event to start? Also, my daughter is 15 and is interested, is there a min age on any of these?

Can't speak to min age at TCSC but I highly recommend you start with a steel challenge match. You stand still and shoot steel plates. It's fun but you are VERY unlikely to DQ or otherwise screw yourself. You can shoot it without a lot of gear. A holster of almost any type, a few mags (can be staged on table), and a reliable gun. IDPA (used to shoot it) is a rulebook nightmare. USPSA is less rule nazi but tends to attract the raceguns and you will definitely need a good belt, holster, mag pouches, etc.

I actually suggest shooting some of the outlaw steel plate matches that are around. Most of them, you run around and shoot stuff. Some of that stuff moves. Google texas star and polish plate rack.

BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co

I'm looking for a fun event where I'm just trying to lead some lead fly with my stock handguns. Not trying to get sponsored by Sig Sauer but looking for more than just a stationary paper target. Recommended event to start? Also, my daughter is 15 and is interested, is there a min age on any of these?

Teflon, Steel Challenge would be a great start. It is often a gateway to other disciplines (USPSA, IDPA, sometimes multi-gun). The best part is you are competing against yourself if that is what you are after. You can roll in with a stock 10/22 from Walmart and have a great time right next to the shooter with a modded out Canik.

For Thurmont, 15 is absolutely welcome and being a Junior (13-17 years of age) get a $5 discount. We have younger than 15 year old shooters out there often.

-Wednesday, April 12th match is full but you are more than welcome to come on out and observe. Hammer down is at 5PM. PractiScore for Wednesday, April 12th
    -Wednesday, April 26th registration opens tomorrow. Registration at 4:30PM, safety briefing at 4:45PM, hammer down at 5PM. PractiScore for Wednesday, April 26th
    -Saturday, May 6th is open for registration and is about halfway full right now. Registration at 9:00AM, safety briefing at 9:30AM, hammer down at 10AM. We will have a food truck there that day. PractiScore for Saturday, May 6th.

Feel free to reply here and message me if you need any more details, would be happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom