• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    Which one has a quicker response ? i want a sbr as well as a suppressor but i want to know which one has a quicker turnaround rate .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They have about the same turnaround time. You aren't going to shave months off your time by using one or the other.

The one to watch out for is a form 3. Form 3s used to be fast, now they're rather slower.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The general time frame currently if youre going the Individual route is 2-5 weeks for MSP signoff, and 5-6 months with the ATF.

If youre going the Trust route than just the 5-6 months with the ATF.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    active duty .mil/LE types, once you go pending, if you call your inspector/investigator and let them know your employment status, they will often move you to the front of their line.

some food for thought, courtesy of one of the EOD team leads i'm with out here. he's a reservist .mil, works full-time for his local PD (not in MD) and when he called and let them know he's .mil reservist/full time LE, they said "oh okay, well you just went pending, give it a week or two and you should be fine."

nothing NFA he's purchased has taken longer than 10 weeks from the day he signed the forms until the day they arrived in his mailbox.

for conversation.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm curious what's stopping people from just lying and getting to the head of the line like that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    a .mil email address maybe? That's a good point.
    Yeah, exactly. And further, why should being a LEO/mil guy get you approval faster for a non-official use NFA item? The cost of that is being borne by everyone else, not the ATF... it's not exactly a shop discount.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Yeah, exactly. And further, why should being a LEO/mil guy get you approval faster for a non-official use NFA item? The cost of that is being borne by everyone else, not the ATF... it's not exactly a shop discount.

It's a professional courtesy extended as a result of the fact they're the people whose lives are risked every day to ensure we ALL have the right to enjoy NFA items.

It's no different than any of the thousands of companies that offer perks/discounts for military/LE. But thanks for showing your true colors. :thumbsup:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    It's a professional courtesy extended as a result of the fact they're the people whose lives are risked every day to ensure we ALL have the right to enjoy NFA items.

It's no different than any of the thousands of companies that offer perks/discounts for military/LE. But thanks for showing your true colors. :thumbsup:

Yea you guys should just be able to cut in front of me at the MVA also :sad20:

The difference is that companies are private entities. They can do special favors for customers, it is their business. Government should be neutral.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010

I have an absolute respect for those that serve or have served in the defense of our great nation.

BUT, in no way should service, whether LEO or Military, have any effect on approval times for NFA firearms. If you go to a shop in MD and buy a handgun you still have to wait the required 7 days just like the rest of us. The purchase of an NFA item should be no different. Any LEO or military personnel that use their service to bypass what others have to go through disrespect the same ideals they serve/served to protect in that all men are created equal. Service does no equate to superiority.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

Yeah I have to part with you there too. I don't see why they should get to jump either. Maybe if we all had to wait, they would speed things up!Professional courtesy is a BS term for feeling that some are more equal than others. Lets face it, they may be there to protect our rights but ultimately the right to own MGs and all firearms is to protect US from the Military being used in an unconstitutional way. Lets not forget our founding and the reason for the 2nd. I also think its wrong of you to be questioning his "colors" because he thinks something the government does is not proper. I am a big supporter of military personal but that does not mean I think they can do no wrong or should be treated better by our government.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    But thanks for showing your true colors. :thumbsup:
    So, let me get this straight: I don't think the government should be giving badly-audited extra-legal perks for no apparent reason, and suddenly I'm a military hater? My wife, my father, my mother, and both my grandfathers are or were long-time DoD civilian employees or vets. They have helped provide you the toys and intel you need to do your job effectively, and in some cases, actively served. I would strongly suggest you refrain from questioning my "colors". I think you are a good poster and probably a good person, and I thank you for your service, but you are way over the line on this one. (Again.)

(I'm not a DoD employee. All I do is help provide you with weather satellites. I will refrain from feeling too badly about this.)

Also, professional courtesy? The BATFE is not part of the DoD. They are civilians. They have nothing to do with you professionally. They are, at best, federal employees like yourself. I could only wish my federal employee wife could get that same professional courtesy on NFA guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom