• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Man, I could see a 2x6 T made and a single stage press screwed to the top. ;)

1NGYFJEBzh2CpzE24mNxiDAtuvncioGkr4Q3ILoRTGo.jpg

You sir stop it. Stop trying to influence me down another rabbit hole lol
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You'll get there eventually and wish you'd got here sooner. I was like that once also. Said I'd never reload, I have too many hobbies now, or did the wife say that? :rolleyes: Was offered a deal on an 1873 trapdoor carbine Calvary rifle in 45/70. Passed on it as I saw the bullets were $2+ a bang. Said I'd have to reload to shoot that old nostalgic rifle, that I would have loved to have. That was probably 2019 and then 2020 happened and I couldn't buy hunting ammo. Bought dies, was given a press, and now I am there. 9mm, 45 LC, 30-30, 30-06 and now working on 6.8 SPC.

I cast all my bullet too. So my hole is twice as deep and your imagining your rabbit hole might be. Your wife might like the new hobbies, but she'll never have to worry about where you are. :D

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    You'll get there eventually and wish you'd got here sooner. I was like that once also. Said I'd never reload, I have too many hobbies now, or did the wife say that? :rolleyes: Was offered a deal on an 1873 trapdoor carbine Calvary rifle in 45/70. Passed on it as I saw the bullets were $2+ a bang. Said I'd have to reload to shoot that old nostalgic rifle, that I would have loved to have. That was probably 2019 and then 2020 happened and I couldn't buy hunting ammo. Bought dies, was given a press, and now I am there.

I cast all my bullet too. So my hole is twice as deep and your imagining your rabbit hole might be. Your wife might like the new hobbies, but she'll never have to worry about where you are. :D

I think I’m more worried about the wrong mixing amounts lol

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Gordon's Reloading Software is free and you can download it and play with it and learn before you try doing anything. You can learn about OAL length, seating depth and so on. I found seating depth will increase pressures, just like compressing powders.

Now, I tried making a load for 6.8 SPC and people use 4227 for 223 and since they are similar I "thought" it should work. Bullets went down range fine, but the rifle would not cycle and turned my AR in a pull action bolt gun. GRT said pressures were fine, but it wouldn't run the gun. Tried 3031 and every load I tried cycled the gun.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Gordon's Reloading Software is free and you can download it and play with it and learn before you try doing anything. You can learn about OAL length, seating depth and so on. I found seating depth will increase pressures, just like compressing powders.

Now, I tried making a load for 6.8 SPC and people use 4227 for 223 and since they are similar I "thought" it should work. Bullets went down range fine, but the rifle would not cycle and turned my AR in a pull action bolt gun. GRT said pressures were fine, but it wouldn't run the gun. Tried 3031 and every load I tried cycled the gun.
    4227 is a slower burning powder than 3031. In order to cycle the AR, you need to increase the powder charge to create enough pressure to cycle the gas system. I had this chat with Sierra over the 165 SGK and W760 and why it wasn't cycling an AR-10 in 308. I was given load data for running W760 in a gas gun. Never had an issue after that.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    4227 is a slower burning powder than 3031. In order to cycle the AR, you need to increase the powder charge to create enough pressure to cycle the gas system. I had this chat with Sierra over the 165 SGK and W760 and why it wasn't cycling an AR-10 in 308. I was given load data for running W760 in a gas gun. Never had an issue after that.

See why I’m not so fast to reloading lol. I would **** shit up all the way
    giphy.gif

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    See why I’m not so fast to reloading lol. I would **** shit up all the way
    giphy.gif

Load data is provided by powder manufacturers and bullet manufacturers. That is their testing, so we can replicate safe loading. I followed the lead data for W760 from Sierra, but was given other load data by Sierra for a gas gun.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Haha, didn't nothing get F'd up. You just needed to manually cycle the AR. Frustrated, yes, but not hurting anything except my free time and some money. No one learned anything sitting on the couch, except maybe watching documentaries. :D

Also according to the burn rate chart. They list 4227 (64th fastest) as faster than both my favorite powders.

Then 4198 (75th fastest) and then 3031 (83rd fastest) as the lower of the three. Just stating evidence I worked from to form my premise of using the powder. Obviously it did not burn the way the AR needs it too.
    burnrate2019op.png

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Haha, didn't nothing get F'd up. You just needed to manually cycle the AR. Frustrated, yes, but not hurting anything except my free time and some money. No one learned anything sitting on the couch, except maybe watching documentaries. :D

Also according to the burn rate chart. They list 4227 (64th fastest) as faster than both my favorite powders.

Then 4198 (75th fastest) and then 3031 (83rd fastest) as the lower of the three. Just stating evidence I worked from to form my premise of using the powder. Obviously it did not burn the way the AR needs it too.
    burnrate2019op.png
    I used to reload for th 6.8 SPC, great cartridge, just stockpiing the ammo for now. Anyway, I got a lot of good info from https://www.68forums.com/forums/ My most accurate loads were with 110gr Accubonds. I used up all of the powder and bullets I had that were from the same lot, have about 200 left. No problems hitting a 12x12 steel plate at 500 yards. Don't remember the powder I used.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

burnrate2019op.png
    Here's a link to the newer one "2023"

I've got so many burn rate charts old ones for old powders, Military surplus, etc.(844,846,etc.) Different brands other than those in the chart posted

-Rock

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Did some measurements on my 7.5” 300 blackout. This is with a b5 sopmod. I think with the folding adapter from sylvan arms(if it ever ships) I might reach the 29” Sbr rule for Md. might need to pin my can muzzle as well but I might just make it.
    1544ed9c22eecf1982dc2b3b7da88a67.jpg

Did some measurements on my 7.5” 300 blackout. This is with a b5 sopmod. I think with the folding adapter from sylvan arms(if it ever ships) I might reach the 29” Sbr rule for Md. might need to pin my can muzzle as well but I might just make it.
    1544ed9c22eecf1982dc2b3b7da88a67.jpg

This little MD 29" SBR secret will give you an additional 1.5".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom