To CZ or not to CZ (but to Gunsite Scout or C&R)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Now that I have a VZ-58 and a few other modern sporting rifles, I feel the need for a CZ bolt gun in my life. Specifically, I handled a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 at Duffy's and loved it. I like x39 rifles and could see myself hunting up to deer with it. I also like the CZ 550, especially in 6.5x55. Both seem like great rifles.

Other items I'm considering are a .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout or a Vepr in 7.62x54r.

What do the usual suspects and casual observers think of these guns?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a gunsite and really like it. I haven't fondled a cz 527 in 7.62x39 but sounds like a nice piece from what I have read and heard!

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    550 in 6.5 would be interesting, but you'd probably have to load your own for best results as I understand commercial 6.5 Swiss is downloaded for use in C&R Mausers.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have a gunsite and really like it. I haven't fondled a cz 527 in 7.62x39 but sounds like a nice piece from what I have read and heard!

I handled the 527 and the Gunsite Scout the same day (I bought a CETME instead). I like the trigger and the overall handiness of the 527, not to mention the ammo is still pretty cheap and I have a good supply. I liked the Gunsite Scout as well (stainless with laminated stock). For the money, I feel that the Gunsite provides more bang for the buck, but the CZ seemed to be a finer quality gun. Another angle I am taking is that I could use the 527 to hunt up to deer, where I could use the Gunsite Scout for most anything in North America in a pinch. I could also get my wife to shoot the 527, but she may not enjoy the Gunsite Scout.

Then there's the 550. I have an M38 Swedish Mauser and a good supply of 6.5x55 ammo, but I would almost be buying a new gun that is filling the spot of an existing gun in my collection (the CZ is definitely not a military gun, but I took my M38 to Upstate NY as my backup deer rifle last year.

Decisions, decisions....If anyone knows of an IP who may have at least one of these in stock and located near Harford County, I would appreciate the shoutout

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    It's a tough decision. I love my 527 though. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Recoil isn't insane but prolonged shooting will make your shoulder sore; it's only a 5lb gun. I feed PPU brass cased through mine but I've read that the chamber is cut for steel cased and you get better results with steel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    A rifle in 6.5x55 has been on my list for a long time. The difficulty of your list is that you picked 3 guns that can do just about everything. I would say the 527 is the weakest contender in the bunch. You can't really stretch beyond 250 with the x39 and even then your bullet is slowing/dropping quickly.

I bought my 527 for smaller hunters and cartridge commonality with my AK.

308 and 6.5 probably have about the same utility with the 308 having better ammo and component selection. The only problem is that 308 is kinda vanilla while the other two are chocolate and strawberry.

Awww hell, pick whatever makes your ball hairs tickle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I love the 6.5x55 cartridge. It's been around for over 100 years and is still going. You won't have the same selection as a .308 but its a fun gun. I've got a CZ 452 and it's fantastic as far as accuracy goes. I think they are some of the most underrated guns on the market.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    My CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39 is my favorite rifle now. But making your shoulder sore? I don't see how that is possible. Not in that caliber. Put a low power scope on it and it is good to go. It will shoot everything accurately without a need for scope adjustment, including Russian ammo as well as Fusion soft points with brass cases. Get the CZ and you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom