• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    So I have seen many many questions being asked, lots of speculation, and few answers. Today I called MSP as an attorney to get their stance on the law. I am going to relay to you what I was told. In no way is this legal advice in any form and should never be taken as such. I am just going to forward to you what I was told. You can do with it what you want.

First and foremost the officer I talked to was very respectful, helpful, and seemed to give the impression that he was on our side. So take that for what its worth. These guys have a tough job, and I do not envy their position.

When asked about voluntary registration, you can register anything you want at any time before or after but there is a distinction. If you want to register an HBAR, then now is the time to do it because on October 1, 2013 you will not be able to change the barrel on the rifle if it is unregistered. You may be asking yourself, "why would I ever volunteer to register?"see below.

He specifically stated that changing the barrel to a low profile would make it a banned configuration weapon. Further, he stated that if that was done now, it would be converting the firearm into a regulated rifle and it would have to be registered. He did not say if it had to be registered before or after the conversion. He seemed unclear. I know this conflicts with what people have been told and been doing, but after Oct. 1 it will be impossible to tell when you made a barrel change, even if it was ok before SB281. There are likely many thousands of former HBARs that have been converted, so be aware, but i'm sure many of you never ever did that. :innocent0

Second, I specifically asked for MSP's stance on HBAR's. I requested clarification as to if they only considered the "Colt Sporter HBAR" as the only exception. He took about a 5 minute break to go discuss this with another person. He came back and stated that an HBAR is an HBAR and that it in non-regulated and that they had a list of 4 or so other rifles that were HBARs. He could not name them/remember. He then went on to discuss the profile of the barrel as the determining factor. Further, he stated that the only banned rifle for sure was the "Bushmaster." He stated this more than once but could not seem to clarify if it was a Bushmaster AR or the other variant I tried to determine what that meant, but was unsuccessful.

He also mentioned that from what he has seen is that everyone is buying as many lowers as possible, and that once it was registered "I" could turn it into anything I wanted. So there seems to be no issue with assembly after the deadline. This was the impression I received. Assemble one at your own risk.

He also stated he was brought over and still trying to figure out all the laws himself. The fact that this officer had to discuss the law before I could get answers shows that the likely problem we have with MSP right now, is a communications and understanding of the laws issue. In my opinion I do not get the impression that they have changed their stance as of now. I think they have brought over many inexperienced officers who are likely going to stay on the safe side and suggest you file a 77R for most anything that looks like an AR. Just to be safe, I think this is more for your protection than anything. I think most of these guys share our sentiments. I do not know that for sure but it is a guess.

He went on to state that you can file right up to the deadline for a regulated rifle and still take possession of it post ban. He emphasized that anyone who has mags waiting should pick them up before the deadline and that if a handgun is picked up after, you will need and HQL no matter when you purchased it. He even stated that possession of more than 10 round mags or buying them out of state was legal, just we could not by more than ten rounders in state after the deadline.

That was my experience. I may have left out a few details, and if I remember other things I will add to it. Once again, the above is not legal advice, just a synopsis of what I was told.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    finally a little clarity

thanks for doing this

pretty much what I thought to be the case, and hopefully it will stick

so if you are happy with your HBAR as it is, according to this report, no reason to register it, and you still should be able to purchase them after 10/1

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Now go back and ask another msp the same question . Bet you'll get different answers.. lol

Kudos for what you did, (the following is not directed at you) Apparently there are other troopers knocking on doors with a stack of 77R's claiming otherwise.:sad20:

Second, I specifically asked for MSP's stance on HBAR's. I requested clarification as to if they only considered the "Colt Sporter HBAR" as the only exception. He took about a 5 minute break to go discuss this with another person. He came back and stated that an HBAR is an HBAR and that it in non-regulated and that they had a list of 4 or so other rifles that were HBARs. He could not name them/remember. He then went on to discuss the profile of the barrel as the determining factor.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I still want someone to outline what an HBAR barrel is or what an HBAR rifle configuration looks like.

I want a list of allowed (Not Disallowed) dodads and a list of not allowed dodads.

Bet we can't get clarification on that.

An HBAR is a rifle that.....

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I still want someone to outline what an HBAR barrel is or what an HBAR rifle configuration looks like.

I want a list of allowed (Not Disallowed) dodads and a list of not allowed dodads.

Bet we can't get clarification on that.

Don't forget the thingymajig... heard its more evil with it.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Kudos for what you did, (the following is not directed at you) Apparently there are other troopers knocking on doors with a stack of 77R's claiming otherwise.:sad20:

Second, I specifically asked for MSP's stance on HBAR's. I requested clarification as to if they only considered the "Colt Sporter HBAR" as the only exception. He took about a 5 minute break to go discuss this with another person. He came back and stated that an HBAR is an HBAR and that it in non-regulated and that they had a list of 4 or so other rifles that were HBARs. He could not name them/remember. He then went on to discuss the profile of the barrel as the determining factor.

Agreed, I think we have two different groups here. The ones knocking on doors are likely not with the licensing division. I think they were told to just get 77R's to clean up the issue and make it go away. That is only a guess and an opinion and I can be very wrong either way.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I have to ask you about this part:

He specifically stated that changing the barrel to a low profile would make it a banned configuration weapon. Further, he stated that if that was done now, it would be converting the firearm into a regulated rifle and it would have to be registered.

Where in the current law does it say that? The law specifically mentions the purchase, rental, or transfer of a regulated firearm. But I have not seen the section that mentions assemble.

If that is correct, then anyone who manufactured their own lower and placed a low profile barrel on it, would likely also have to register their rifle.

If you do have the chance to speak with him again, please see if you can get further clarification on where in the law or comar it supports that conclusion.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Agreed, I think we have two different groups here. The ones knocking on doors are likely not with the licensing division. I think they were told to just get 77R's to clean up the issue and make it go away. That is only a guess and an opinion and I can be very wrong either way.

I think a friendly phone call would solve the problem also. As in: Hello Mr. or Mrs. honest, hard working, tax paying CITIZEN...

The only reason they show up at 6am is so you can't call out from work at 8am and have a "Tragic Boating Accident" at 11am.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Second, I specifically asked for MSP's stance on HBAR's. I requested clarification as to if they only considered the "Colt Sporter HBAR" as the only exception. He took about a 5 minute break to go discuss this with another person. He came back and stated that an HBAR is an HBAR and that it in non-regulated and that they had a list of 4 or so other rifles that were HBARs.

I'd love to know how that conversation went.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    No, no, no. You're reading it wrong.

That's only if combined with a Whirlyhoogit.

Sorry for the moment of levity, but this is all so silly.

Just like chemical vs. artillery. Dead is dead.

One Black Scary Death Dealer is as good as the next.

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    ... If that is correct, then anyone who manufactured their own lower and placed a low profile barrel on it, would likely also have to register their rifle.

A lower receiver by itself is already a regulated (and therefore registered) firearm, so assembly it in any regulated configuration is fine. What he was referring to is taking an HBAR configuration (unregulated/unregistered) and re-assembling it into a non-HBAR after Oct 1. That would be illegal.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    A lower receiver by itself is already a regulated (and therefore registered) firearm, so assembly it in any regulated configuration is fine. What he was referring to is taking an HBAR configuration (unregulated/unregistered) and re-assembling it into a non-HBAR after Oct 1. That would be illegal.

He made the inference that doing so before Oct 1 would be an issue as well. He stated he had someone come in wanting to make the change and they had to have him fill out the 77R. So it creates an issue for many people who may have changed their barrels out for something else on a non-regulated HBAR.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

But he said:

"Further, he stated that if that was done now, it would be converting the firearm into a regulated rifle and it would have to be registered."

Which is why I asked the question.

Where in the law does it require me to register my rifle, if I bought it on 09/12/13 as a HBAR, and on 09/13/13 put a low profile barrel on it and assembled it in to a regulated version? Unless I've missed it, before Oct 1 registration only involves regulated long guns when they are purchased or transferred.

Anyone who built their own lower from a 80% frame, would have a lower that although "regulated", would not be registered because it was not purchased or transferred through a ffl. Would they before Oct 1 be required to register it if they assembled it with a low profile barrel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom