• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well I knew this would happen sooner or later, I have too many deer mounts. In the process of constantly trying to upgrade my trophy collection, I've run out of wall space in my cave. I can't legally sell any of them and I wouldn't try. What about trading for them? Ammo, gear etc.? I don't know if that is legal either. I would even consider donating them for the right reason. I am open to any and all suggestions....as long as they're kosher.

This is the first head on the block(so to speak)

With any luck, this guy will be next.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I can't legally sell any of them and I wouldn't try. What about trading for them?

OMG That is TRUE. I had no idea, it's not like it's a rhinoceros horn. The PR of MD.:rant2:
    I've got the same problem myself, so I can't help you.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I did not know that. Gee, I often see mounts for sale at flea markets & yard sales. Making criminals out of ordinary citizens again.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Well I knew this would happen sooner or later, I have too many deer mounts. In the process of constantly trying to upgrade my trophy collection, I've run out of wall space in my cave. I can't legally sell any of them and I wouldn't try. What about trading for them? Ammo, gear etc.? I don't know if that is legal either. I would even consider donating them for the right reason. I am open to any and all suggestions....as long as they're kosher.

This is the first head on the block(so to speak)

With any luck, this guy will be next.

Wow, never heard of it being illegal to sell. Even with HQL ?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just saw a full body mount doe sold at auction two Fridays ago. PA auction company selling goods in Maryland.

No one seemed to care it was illegal.

$85 bucks for a poorly done full mount on a little stand.

Not sure how it works,but they can be "transferred" legally somehow.Ask your taxidermy how it works.ex. I take him a mount and put down deposit only to never finish paying and never trying to retrieve it,he does not have to keep it forever and needs to recoup his cost.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure how it works,but they can be "transferred" legally somehow.Ask your taxidermy how it works.ex. I take him a mount and put down deposit only to never finish paying and never trying to retrieve it,he does not have to keep it forever and needs to recoup his cost.

Yes. The tax. is the only one who can sell it outright. He has some hoops to jump through but, it is legal for him.

katbre01

Jul 14, 2014
    Put the mount in a paper bag, sell the paper bag, and the purchaser gets the mount for free!! Cost of the paper bag $100.00 many auctions in Western Md work that way! I have seen it done many times (Ha! Ha)

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I thought foxtrapper was selling off some of the mounts she had when she moved last year but it was illegal and could not sell off any migratory birds?

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I know selling deer parts are illegal, but what is the exact wording of the law? Can you charge for the services that were peformed (taxidermy)? Similar to how the meat can't be sold but the "buyer" can pay for the buthering services.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I believe that it illegal even to trade. From Natural Resources 10-404:

(e) Selling or exchange of game bird or mammal taken from wild.-
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection or § 10-512(a)(2)(ii) of this title, a person may not sell, offer for sale, barter, or exchange, at any time within the State any game bird or game mammal taken from the wild, in the State or in another state, territory, or country.
    (2) The prohibitions of paragraph (1) of this subsection do not apply to the:
    (i) Meat, pelt, carcass, or mounted specimen of any beaver, coyote, fisher, fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, raccoon, skunk, or long-tailed weasel legally taken by the person;
    (ii) Hide, hair, tail, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of deer, squirrel, or rabbit legally acquired;
    (iii) Feathers, skin, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of upland and forest game birds legally acquired;
    (iv) Except as prohibited by federal law, feathers of wetland game birds legally acquired; or
    (v) Antlers of deer legally acquired in another state and manufactured into an article of commerce in another state.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I don't need a mount (unless I shoot one myself), but if you are trying to unload any antlers, I could take those off your hands (assuming it's legal). I have a friend who is desperate for a set to use for some form of decoration in her house. She doesn't seem understand that if I shoot it and have to work for it, I'm keeping it for myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom