• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    Saturday I took a friend trap shooting for the first time. Actually it was his first time ever shooting a gun at all. He had a great time and is now looking for a shotgun.

We went to Loch Raven and rented a 20ga for him and I used my mossberg 500 12ga, then we switched guns for the second round. I really liked the beretta urika 20ga semi-auto that they rented us but it's a little out of my price range. anyone have any recomendations for a good cheap 20ga semi-auto?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Remington 1100 or 1187. Reliable, and generally inexpensive.

Yep, I'll second this, if you are die hard about a semi. We take the Remington 870 Express 20 gauge to the trap range, though it is a pump, it's all in what you're used to. The 20 gauge is effective at clays and you can shoot all day with it, as where the 12 gauge will wear you down after a while. But, the Remingtons will be the best bet.

Glad to see your buddy has taken the hobby up well, it's not hard to get addictions from clays fast, it's fun and challenging.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Love the 1100.....soft shooter.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Look for a good used Remington 1100, I just picked up a like new in box early 80's 1100 Trap for 650.00, soft shooter and busts the birds very well.

Attachments

• DSCN0206.jpg
      DSCN0206.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 124

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    if you enjoy trapshooting which i do you will need a 12 GA eventually and although i do not shoot a semi for my trap shooting if you go 12 GA semi there is not much difference in felt recoil. And Ammo is easier to find in quantity for the same price or less.

Some inexpensive semi's would be
    H@R excell at bass pro for 329 right now

Now most trap shooters use a over under or unsingle/single barrel break open which can be had for right around the same price

Stoeger Condor is only 349 at bass pro right now.

I would also recommend checking out trapshooters.com tons of good info over there from a lot of very experienced shooters.

PS i heard loch raven is charging 7.50 a round now which is way way to much look for a club close we charge only 5 for a round at our club which is still on the high side if you ask me. since a box of targets is back down to around 7.85 .

eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    if you enjoy trapshooting which i do you will need a 12 GA eventually and although i do not shoot a semi for my trap shooting if you go 12 GA semi there is not much difference in felt recoil. And Ammo is easier to find in quantity for the same price or less.

Some inexpensive semi's would be
    H@R excell at bass pro for 329 right now

Now most trap shooters use a over under or unsingle/single barrel break open which can be had for right around the same price

Stoeger Condor is only 349 at bass pro right now.

I would also recommend checking out trapshooters.com tons of good info over there from a lot of very experienced shooters.

PS i heard loch raven is charging 7.50 a round now which is way way to much look for a club close we charge only 5 for a round at our club which is still on the high side if you ask me. since a box of targets is back down to around 7.85 .

what's your club? Loch raven was $7 for non members. I only go about once a month so membership dues usually end up costing me more than paying non member rates.

I have a mossberg 500 12ga 28" vent rib barrel, it's fine for trap, a little tougher for skeet. I just really liked the 20ga semi-auto it was just the right size and weight and pointed really nice.

I would like to have an o/u but except for the stoeger they seem really expensive, the semi-autos seem like I can get a good one for less than an o/u and work just fine for skeet.

Thanks for the reponses.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    I am a member at Mt Airy IWLA we charge 3 for member and 5 for non members to shoot but I shoot ATA , Heart of Maryland, Tri-State and Carroll County Winter league.

So i have been to a number of clubs in and around MD and I would have to say 7 is the highest I have seen.

If you out toward the Baltimore area check out
    http://carneyro.dot5hosting.com/index.html
    i think they shoot on Wednesday nights

And this is a little further but a very good Club
    http://www.carrollgun.com/

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I am a member at Mt Airy IWLA we charge 3 for member and 5 for non members to shoot but I shoot ATA , Heart of Maryland, Tri-State and Carroll County Winter league.

So i have been to a number of clubs in and around MD and I would have to say 7 is the highest I have seen.

If you out toward the Baltimore area check out
    http://carneyro.dot5hosting.com/index.html
    i think they shoot on Wednesday nights

And this is a little further but a very good Club

You guys have league shooting at your IWLA? I'm a member of the IWLA Rockville chapter in Germantown and shoot there all the time, but we don't have league shoots. How do I go about getting involved in shooting competitively? I really want to get into it.

Thanks.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    You guys have league shooting at your IWLA? I'm a member of the IWLA Rockville chapter in Germantown and shoot there all the time, but we don't have league shoots. How do I go about getting involved in shooting competitively? I really want to get into it.

Thanks.

check out these websites

http://www.heartofmaryland.net/index.html

first shoot is august 22nd good local league a lot of fun people normally have 175 to 220 shooters each weekend has direction to each club just gotta show up more of a casual league if you play all option its 26 dollars but if your just shooting for fun its 17 bucks you shoot 25 singles and 25 handicap

http://sites.google.com/site/tristatetrapleague/home

another local league, different clubs some are the same a little more travel with this league PA, MD and VA little more money you shoot 50 singles and 50 handicap a lot of the same guys shoot this also i little more serious but still casual 150 plus shooters each week

has a winter league that is also 50 total bird format same club each week and very casual has 100 plus shooters each week bundle up it gets cold.

Mt Airy Iwla has a summer league which is almost over it is a team format you shoot as a team this year we have 17 teams and keep growing each year this year we are doing a moving on back format you shoot 50 rounds all handicap move back 2 yards each week

if your interested in going to a shoot just pm me and i can meet you at the club and show you around all of these leagues have a lot of so so shooters they are more about just hanging out and shooting nothing to serious. A lot different then a ATA event.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Justsand, good links, all of those league shoots are very well run and a lot of fun. I shoot the Carroll County Winter League and really enjoy it plus manage to win a little cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom