• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm building out my collection of combat handguns and I'm curious what everyone would put in their list of all-time top 5 combat handguns. Here's my list. (subject to change)

1. Glock 34 (my preference is Gen4)
    2. Sig P226
    3. Glock 19 (again Gen4)
    4. S&W 686
    5. 1911

I don't own a 1911 yet. I've enjoyed shooting them but haven't found one that's perfect for me. I put it last because I question their reliability. I have to admit that they are very accurate.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Meh narrow historical vision

Question is a matter of criteria? Service length, serviceman acceptance, stopping power? What is the index for the metrics.

Anecdotaly I would go with

Colt Army
    Luger
    Webley
    Beretta 92

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I think the 34 should come off and the 92 should go in.

I have yet to meet a 1911 with poor reliability but all I have ever really shot was mostly Springfields

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I can't drop the Glock 34. There's a reason why it's the top gun in competition. I think I shoot well with it. I must admit my experience is narrow and I haven't shot most guns. That's why I'm asking for input.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    what about the Colt SAA? You said "all time"...

I'm good w/ the 1911 and the Sig (have/love both). I understand why folks like Glocks, but their ergonomics don't work for me. I'm a little surprised not to see an HK on the list -- yeah, heavy, but man, what a nice piece! Luger and Webley deserve some props too, I think, seeing this is "all time"...

I sense a modern bias in some of the lists. Which is just fine, but I'm a bit of a history nut... :D

interesting thought experiment, though.:party29:

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA

I'm good w/ the 1911 and the Sig (have/love both). I understand why folks like Glocks, but their ergonomics don't work for me. I'm a little surprised not to see an HK on the list -- yeah, heavy, but man, what a nice piece! Luger and Webley deserve some props too, I think, seeing this is "all time"...

I sense a modern bias in some of the lists. Which is just fine, but I'm a bit of a history nut... :D

I do tend to like the modern stuff. I've never shot an HK. I'm going to have to find one to try out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Question is a matter of criteria? Service length, serviceman acceptance, stopping power? What is the index for the metrics.

Colt Army
    Luger
    Webley
    Beretta 92

I agree on criteria

I can't drop the Glock 34. There's a reason why it's the top gun in competition. I think I shoot well with it. I must admit my experience is narrow and I haven't shot most guns. That's why I'm asking for input.

You said COMBAT handgun. The 34 is a COMPETITION Handgun. Theres a difference.

I agree.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Ive got a MK 23 , I wouldn't want to have to carry it . I'd take a 1911 over it any day .

Agreed I have one also and it is a beast. May be opt for my HK tactical instead, you have to admit though the mark 23 is a freakin tack driver.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Agreed I have one also and it is a beast. May be opt for my HK tactical instead, you have to admit though the mark 23 is a freakin tack driver.

Absolutely , It is my favorite range toy :thumbsup:

Attachments

• hk mk23.JPG
      hk mk23.JPG
      139.1 KB · Views: 1,612

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA

Colt Army
    Luger
    Webley
    Beretta 92
    This is up for debate, but I would set criteria on reliability, accuracy, capacity, and all around performance. Things like service length are too circumstantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom