Town Hall Meeting on the repeal of the DC Gun Law.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliff

Jul 2, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Town Hall Meeting on the repeal of the DC Gun Law.UPDATE! See my last post.

Town Hall Meeting on the repeal of the DC Gun Law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES ESPECIALLY DC RESIDENTS

Elanor Holmes Norton is having a Town Hall Meeting on the repeal of the DC Gun Law. We need people to come out and show her and others that all of the polls taken by media sources have shown that the citizens of the District want the law changed.

Tuesday July 26, 2005 at Shaw Jr. High School located at 9th and Rhode Island Ave. NW from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. I will be wearing my CAFE Cap if you have one please wear it.

This is the chance we have been waiting for, lets not blow it!

Thank you for your help,
    Ricardo A. Royal, National President
    202 529-4724

People,
    I hope that you would consider coming into the district to attend this meeting. I'll be there. This is not only important to residents of the District of Columbia,but to residents of Maryland,and VA also. If our rights to protect ourselves are infringed in one location,then it's only a matter of time before they are taken away everywhere.

I've heard a lot of talk from MD & VA residents regarding the sad state of gun rights in D.C. Now's the time AGAIN to put up or shut up. Get over your fear of driving inside the district and please attend this meeting to show your support for the rights of all of us to protect ourselves.

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for posting this Cliff. Henry also forwarded it through the MSI list so hopefully we'll get a decent crowd there.

I unfortunately have an obligation that can't be ignored tonight, but as always, if there's ANYTHING I can do from the sidelines on this, let me know.

I think I'll send the mayor an email at the very least, and follow it up with a snailmail.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If there was any way that I could make it, I would. Unfortunately, by the time I get off work, the meeting would be over before I could get into DC.

Regarding DC gun laws, I emailed my sister, who is a legislative aide to a high ranking Republican Congressman, and is his advisor on 2nd Amendment issues. I asked her in general, what is the best approach to getting this law repealed? Here is her answer:

This explains the DC gun law pretty well:
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=DC

The current law was passed by the city council in 1976 after we allowed the district some degree of "home rule" (before that, congress acted solely as their legislative body). The city council could repeal the law, but that will never happen--the DC population is overwhelmingly opposed to liberalizing the gun laws here.

The other option is for congress to step in and essentially repeal the ban for them. We've passed just such a bill a couple of times at least in the House--the last time was just in October. The problem is the senate. The senate never even takes the bill up because they can't pass it--not even as an amendment.

Here's a link to a summary of the House bill (Rep Souder):
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR01288:@@@D&summ2=m&
    and the Senate bill (Sen Hutchison):
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN01082:@@@D&summ2=m&
    I believe they're identical bills. The best thing you can do is try to push senators to cosponsor the bill. Like I said, we have no problem passing it in the House, it's the senate that's the problem. You may also want to check out what the NRA is doing. I think from time to time there are demonstrations or other forms of protest. Not sure if the NRA organizes that or not. My one piece of advice is to stay away from a group called the Gun Owners of America. They are nutcases and have a very bad reputation on capital hill.

Last edited:

Cliff

Jul 2, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Just got home from the meeting. I'll provide a more detailed update tomorrow,but it was a farce,a total setup. Man, am I pissed! :mad54: :mad: I have NEVER heard more inasine,backword, ass-endforward non-logical,and just plain stupid statments then I've heard tonight. I just got home, I'm tired,hungry,and I have to read two chapters for class tomorrow evening. So this will be short tonight.
    I do want to thank the non-DC residents who came out tonight. A few of them left early after seeing what kind of BS meeting this was. I started to walk out myself,but I stayed for damn near the whole thing. A more detailed report tomorrow evening.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    They try to claim the ban is the law by the people of DC, but it seems as if they try their best to quell dissenting speech of the residents....I wonder why?

nezumi

Dec 4, 2007
    And for those of us who don't have NRA/whatever caps? Somehow I doubt she's going to ask for a raise of hands...

(I'll see if I can make it. I should be in the area that day, but I don't know if anything else will come up. That said, four months warning is pretty nice!)

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    WOW ! Talk about waking the dead.... Maybe Novus was sleepwalking from the crapper again. :lol2:

Attachments

• ZombiePair.gif
      ZombiePair.gif
      48.1 KB · Views: 162

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Guys, there are two reasons why I ressurected this thread. The only one I will mention at the moment is that one of the things I kept hearing yesterday from the four D.C. residents there protesting for the ban claimed self determination was paramount, but as we can see opposing viewpoints of the ban by residents at public service or political events is apparently persisistently quellled. So how do the rest of us know they are truly representing the majority if they are themselves probably ignoring that segment of their own community which disagrees with them?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    And for those of us who don't have NRA/whatever caps? Somehow I doubt she's going to ask for a raise of hands...

(I'll see if I can make it. I should be in the area that day, but I don't know if anything else will come up. That said, four months warning is pretty nice!)
    Sorry about that, I should have pointed out the age of the thread from the git go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom