• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    It's a stag. In the AR world it's near the bottom of the heap (not saying its junk, but that it is far from a irreplaceable weapon and not worth much more complete than it is as a Frankenrifle (ie you can just buy another lower for 80 bucks and build it up later).

If someone wants to trade you a correct WWII Garand for a Stag, you better jump on that and now. Sure Garands won't be banned, but there are less of them and they are only going down in quantity.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wouldn't throw a .308 BAR out of bed for eating crackers, not even a 6.5x55 or 7x57 BAR. Likewise a .30 Luger is welcome anytime.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one either. It's just for certain firearms, the caliber is almost as iconic as the firearm itself, IMO. To me, the Garand is one that's just associated with 30-'06, along with the BAR.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, your first Garand should be a .30-06.
    Probably Garand numbers 2, 3, and 4.

By the time you're getting number 4 or 5, .308 can be an excellent choice. ,308 Garands are supposed to be very, very fine shooters. If I found one in my bed with a box of crackers, I wouldn't throw it out.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've seen the chart, which is probably where you get your feelings on Stag. However, the chart is old, and Stag has come a long way. ie. the gas key is properly staked now. And mine actually came with a full auto bcg. Stag also comes with a lifetime, transferable warranty, which includes an infinite shot barrel replacement. Yes, my feelings are a little hurt, lol. :innocent0 Look, I get your point. It's no noveske. It's a mid grade AR. But it's also a bird in the hand, and October is right around the corner. I'm not desperate to do a deal right now. And yes, if a great deal showed its beautiful head, I'd probably jump at the chance. But if it doesn't, ill buy one later. And I'm stuck with a great (soon to be banned) AR. :party29:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    image.jpg

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    i'd ask for two mixmaster garands...

make sure you get the garandgear plug so you can shoot any 30-06 you pick up.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    maybe a stupid question but are Garands C&R eligible? (yes i have my c&r) Or do i have to have it sent to my ffl?

C&R if original configuration (not bubba'd or sporterized), with exceptions for common conversions done more than 50 years ago and deemed collectible because of it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    maybe a stupid question but are Garands C&R eligible? (yes i have my c&r) Or do i have to have it sent to my ffl?

Yes, all Garands are over 50 years old, and are thus C&R eligible. But you don't even need a C&R to get one from the CMP. By some sort of special Congressional exemption from the '68 GCA, the CMP can FedEx Garands directly to the homes of buyers (except in uncivilized places like New Jersey).

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    someone gets it

You are both joking right?

I just built both of my brothers in md post craziness ARs for around 700 bucks. You want me to trade a rifle that two years ago was 1100 and is now selling for even more for a rifle I can build for 700 bucks. I do get it. You are out of your mind. Your rifle is worth a night service grade like I said if you arw lucky enough to get one with matching stock consider youself lucky.

Lowers aren't banned and people can buy 12 now if they want and post panic build all they like.

You don't have to be rude just because someone offered a bit of information.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    You are both joking right?

I just built both of my brothers in md post craziness ARs for around 700 bucks. You want me to trade a rifle that two years ago was 1100 and is now selling for even more for a rifle I can build for 700 bucks. I do get it. You are out of your mind. Your rifle is worth a night service grade like I said if you arw lucky enough to get one with matching stock consider youself lucky.

Lowers aren't banned and people can buy 12 now if they want and post panic build all they like.

You don't have to be rude just because someone offered a bit of information.
    Damn Stu, lighten up man. I had no knowledge of how much a Garand cost prior to this thread. I thought they'd be around $1000. If a great M1 came along that I liked. And it was worth more then mine. I'd expect to add cash. I'm glad you can build an AR for $700. Wish I could have bumped into you before I spent what I spent on my Stag. But I'm under no delusion how much it cost before the panic buy. I definitely don't need anyone reminding me that I paid too much. By the way. Who's post did you think was rude?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Let me attempt to speak for my fellow surplus enthusiasts. The Garand although designed by a Canadian, it is uniquely a part of American Heritage. It is a good ole Chevy. American made. And one hell of a fine looking piece of equipment. The M1 Garand holds a special place in our hearts not only because of its design and aesthetics as well as performance, but its role in our history. No doubt the AR platform is nice and something all collections should have. However it doesnt have the historical significance, or nostalgia of the Garand. The Garand helped us defeat true evil. It is a big, heavy, American workhorse. There are no more being made. Every call of duty "operator" has a rack of ARs for their different dreamt up "purposes" in 50 different useless calibers. The true M1 is a 30 06 death dealing machine that was wielded in the of the greatest conflicts of the last thousand years, by the victors. There is something mystifying about literally holding history in your hands. There is no price for that. When I shoot my ARs I have fun. When I shoot my Garand I have absolute perfection. It is an integral part of our history and culture. From the front sight to the rear sling swivel. As far as the AR being "irreplaceable" in MD, meh. The Garand is irreplaceable in the world. Unless Springfield does another run of them, you better get em while the gettins good.

Garand > AR for ETERNITY.

Garands do tend to grow on you once you have one that you own in your hands. Why do I need more than one? Because I can. OK need another example? My H&R Garand was naturally built after WW-ll, I wanted a WW-ll era Garand so I purchased a Springfield from April 1942. "You can only shoot one at a time" isn't very good logic to a person that collects guns for a hobby. It might be good logic for you and that POS owemalley and his political goons but not this guy.

Why does one need more than 1 Garand? You can only shoot one at a time and the damn thing never breaks or jams.
    Now, 1 Garand, 1 Carbine...that I understand.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Two are one and one is none.

Each one is subtly different. If it's something you use a lot, you'll tend to accumulate more which have slightly different characteristics. The ability to appreciate the subtle differences separates the insiders from the outsiders.

Musicians who are serious usually have more than one ax.

Photographers usually have multiple cameras, bodies and lenses. Tennis players have several rackets. Golfers are always looking for better clubs.

Then if you consider collecting as opposed to shooting, things can really get crazy.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Let me attempt to speak for my fellow surplus enthusiasts. The Garand although designed by a Canadian, it is uniquely a part of American Heritage. It is a good ole Chevy. American made. And one hell of a fine looking piece of equipment. The M1 Garand holds a special place in our hearts not only because of its design and aesthetics as well as performance, but its role in our history. No doubt the AR platform is nice and something all collections should have. However it doesnt have the historical significance, or nostalgia of the Garand. The Garand helped us defeat true evil. It is a big, heavy, American workhorse. There are no more being made. Every call of duty "operator" has a rack of ARs for their different dreamt up "purposes" in 50 different useless calibers. The true M1 is a 30 06 death dealing machine that was wielded in the of the greatest conflicts of the last thousand years, by the victors. There is something mystifying about literally holding history in your hands. There is no price for that. When I shoot my ARs I have fun. When I shoot my Garand I have absolute perfection. It is an integral part of our history and culture. From the front sight to the rear sling swivel. As far as the AR being "irreplaceable" in MD, meh. The Garand is irreplaceable in the world. Unless Springfield does another run of them, you better get em while the gettins good.

Garand > AR for ETERNITY.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, Thats why I want one. Beautiful piece of history. I would love to see some pictures of everyones Garands. Lets turn this into a Garand picture thread. Show me/ us your M1's.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    A Garand in anything other than 30-'06 is a crime against John Cantius Garand himself.

Would you buy a BAR in .308 Winchester?

Would you buy a Mosin-Nagant in anything other than 7.62x54R?

Would you buy a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP?

Would you buy a Luger in anything other than 9mm?

I think you get the hint. ;)

Browning went to work for FN and further improved the BAR making the FND. Quick change barrel, smaller and lighter, pistol grip, and chambered in .308, .30-06, and 8mm.

Double stack 9mm 1911 seem pretty popular among comptetion shooters.

Of course if you want a .308 garand, you should just buy an M1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom