• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I'm sure the requirements of the class were intentionally left vague so that the connected elite could have their future training satisfied by an instructor who does what there told.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Pertinent section bolded. I apologize for not using the bill, but that thing gives me headaches with the annotations.

Ah, sorry, I missed the bold when I read over it, hence why I asked for the assist (currently drugged up).

Thanks for the assist.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We will be offering the training soon. In fact we are going to be having a trial class next week to make sure we have all the topics covered and can fit it into two full days.

I know the 50 round course of fire is a bit different from what we normally teach for security guards/private detectives bit but I do not see it as being an issue.

Due to the extra day, the cost will go up as it is an extra 8 hours of facility rental and of instructor time.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Take (what one would assume would be) the same 8 hour class, every three years?

I could kinda see [donning flame suit] them requiring people to re-qualify, to renew a permit. But what's the benefit of making someone take the same class, over, and over, and over...

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Take (what one would assume would be) the same 8 hour class, every three years?

I could kinda see [donning flame suit] them requiring people to re-qualify, to renew a permit. But what's the benefit of making someone take the same class, over, and over, and over...

Dissuade you from renewing your permit? Make it look like they did something?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Correct. And correct.

But I meant "my", or at least the public's benefit. (Silly me!)

I think they honestly believe that if they don't mandate the training, no one will get training themselves. They live in a bubble where the only time someone would be insane enough to go shooting is if you had to to keep your permit to carry a handgun. So, a permittee should probably shoot about 50 rounds every three years. Yeah, that'll do it and keep them fresh.:mad54:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Studies have shown that shooters in stressful situations are only about half as effective as they are at the range. If someone is going to have a CCW permit, they should be able to at least hit what they're aiming at. Yeah it's a pain, but it helps to protect the public.

I, frankly, would want to shoot better than the NYPD!

So if you're involved in a confrontation, the adrenaline is flowing, you'll lose fine motor control, the breathing & heart rates are up, so there's the likelihood you'll be missing your target. I'd want to be able to reload in a stressful situation.

Not so much stress shooting and missing your target, because rarely will one be in a "shootout". But equipment does fail and if a mag decides to go bad, you have at lest an extra to perform a malfunction drill with.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    The extra mag/speed loader is required because it is part of the CoF.

Keep in mind there is a distinct difference between training and a competency demonstration of basic skills.

If you want the level of training and competency that is being discussed I strongly recommend a week at Gunsite, Academi or Sig Sauer and no less than 1,000 rounds during that week. And then a quarterly qualifier...

Personally, I am happy they held the training at 16 hours and kept the CoF basic

This is the stage with the reload...
    5 YARD LINE – 10 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, perform a DRY RELOAD, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    We will be offering the training soon. In fact we are going to be having a trial class next week to make sure we have all the topics covered and can fit it into two full days.

I know the 50 round course of fire is a bit different from what we normally teach for security guards/private detectives bit but I do not see it as being an issue.

Due to the extra day, the cost will go up as it is an extra 8 hours of facility rental and of instructor time.

Michael: Do you need a lawyer to teach the law part? I am MD registered instructor (I am a NRA certified pistol and rifle instructor and a certified RSO) and I am already getting calls from folks who need training to renew their permits.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Cite please? And don't send me to the MSP web site, show it to me in the bill.

That’s a good one. I guess no one told you but the police ARE the law in this state. Unless you want to try openly carrying a rifle or not submitting to a live fire test to get your handgun license and see for yourself.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Quote:
    (5) except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, has successfully completed prior to application and each renewal, a firearms training course approved by the Secretary that includes:

(i) 1. for an initial application, a minimum of 16 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor; or
    2. for a renewal application, 8 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;

(ii) classroom instruction on:
    1. State firearm law;
    2. home firearm safety; and
    3. handgun mechanisms and operation; and

(iii) a firearms qualification component that demonstrates the applicant's proficiency and use of the firearm;

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-306

Pertinent section bolded. I apologize for not using the bill, but that thing gives me headaches with the annotations.

Agreed, so my point is that if I take a 16 hour course next week for personal betterment, but don't apply for a C&W permit until SCOTUS gets off their asses in 4 years and strikes down G&S - the training I took should still be accepted as satisfying the requirement under the law!

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    interesting responses here. the reason for the extra mags or speed loaders, as has been mentioned, some equipment fails with semi-auto, and if you are carrying a revolver, usually ammo is limited. it is better to have both the training and the equipment in the event you need it rather than be minus it. and as has been posted, the re-cert does require the 8 hour training in NEW requirements as mandated by the state. also, i won't get into a pissing match with others opinions or speculations over "this and that" but would rather keep in line with teaching rather than lecturing. the course of fire for handgun permits (wear/ carry permit) is 25 rounds. uniformed armed guards, security detail and the such have to have the 8 hour course, and fire a 50 round PPC.

as for having an atty do the legal component to the discussion component regarding the law portion, the state does not require it as the NRA does, that being said, however, it would not hurt to have sage legal advice from an atty familiar with MD gun laws, provided it doesn't drive the price up for the course being offered.

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    is anyone other than leo and military actually getting a permit these days? not interviews, actual permits.

marylandgrdnr

May 7, 2011
    Frederick
    Received my application back from msp. Attached to it was a copy of the new law with a highlighted portion referring to the 8 hour training requirement. Bummer.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    People are complaining about renewals every 3 years. Under the federal LEOSA guidelines, I have to requalify every year. Morning classroom and range in the afternoon. I do it through PG County Municipal Academy. To qualify as a non PG resident with both revolver and semi-auto, (I live in MoCo) it costs me over $100 dollars each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom