• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IanCaw

Aug 5, 2007
    I know this has come up any number of times, so I apologize for being repetitive, but I'm looking for advice from those who have done this before.

I've transferred a number of registered items from FFLs and from individuals through the MSP, but this is the first time I'm the seller instead of the purchaser.

It's been since the 2nd since we filled out the forms, and I can tell he's getting anxious to transfer (I'm guessing it'll become his own christmas gift to himself?), but I haven't heard a peep. I couldn't get through to the MSP registration division this afternoon, but I will try again.

Anyway: at this point have any of you transferred the firearm (since 8 days have passed, even if counting business days) and just dealt with the paperwork whenever it finally showed up?

As a buyer, I've always had no problem waiting, but I feel a little worse as a seller.

Suggestions?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Not worth the risk in my opinion. CYA and keep calling the MSP until you get a clear answer and or the paperwork back.
    just my $.02

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    As a dealer, I transfer on 8th day under circumstances that they have recently purchased before with out problems. I also explain that I can by law do this, but if they dissapprove the application and the gun has been transfered, they will come confiscate it and possibly any other guns the buyer has. And because they won't return the gun to me, no refunds. Most people will tolerate the wait rather then run that risk.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it makes you feel better you can always call Firearms Licensing and have them check in the computer to see if the buyer was approved. Usually when it is this late it's a question of the paperwork having been done, just not mailed out yet.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As a dealer, I transfer on 8th day under circumstances that they have recently purchased before with out problems. I also explain that I can by law do this, but if they dissapprove the application and the gun has been transfered, they will come confiscate it and possibly any other guns the buyer has. And because they won't return the gun to me, no refunds. Most people will tolerate the wait rather then run that risk.

This is the exact reason why we dont hand over regulated guns immediately after the 8 day wait anymore. We wait till we get a "Not Disapproved" from the MSP.

We have had about a dozen people rant and rave about the law and its their property when this happened in the past. 7 of those 12 had the MSP come pay them a visit and confiscate their firearm.

Guess what?

EVERY one of them came back and said we owed them a refund because the MSP took their property. One of those 7 actually got a lawyer on the case but after he talked to me he realized he really had no cause to start with us, and that he wasnt scaring us.

So now the policy is, no MSP "Not Disapproved" paperwork, no gun.

Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Last Christmas I waited 3 weeks to get my paperwork back. It was lost for 2 weeks, then located and they made me wait another 7 days. its hte holidays and there's probably an increase in paperwork without hte increase in manpower at MSPFS. I'm not making excuses, I'm just giving the probable reason for delay.

IanCaw

Aug 5, 2007
    Last Christmas I waited 3 weeks to get my paperwork back. It was lost for 2 weeks, then located and they made me wait another 7 days. its hte holidays and there's probably an increase in paperwork without hte increase in manpower at MSPFS. I'm not making excuses, I'm just giving the probable reason for delay.

Yeah I had a similar experience last March -- was hoping it would turn out like the "right on time" transfers I've had other times.

Thanks for the input all.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    By law, you can hand it over. Just let him know, if it comes back disaprove he might be loosing everything. And is up to you if you want to run the risk too.

Caveat Emptor

Jan 9, 2010
    It's a good policy to wait for the return from MSP. I look at it this way. If I release the gun, even if its legal to do so, and the paperwork comes back Disapproved, I would feel bad about giving a gun to a potentially prohibited person.

Disagree if you like, but this is how we demonstrate our commitment to keeping guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. If disapproved, the buyer has 30 days (as I recall) to appeal the decision.

But a disapproval isn't always a sign of criminal activity per se. I once had a customer disapproved because he was delinquent on his child support payments. True story . . .

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    This is the exact reason why we dont hand over regulated guns immediately after the 8 day wait anymore. We wait till we get a "Not Disapproved" from the MSP.

We have had about a dozen people rant and rave about the law and its their property when this happened in the past. 7 of those 12 had the MSP come pay them a visit and confiscate their firearm.

Guess what?

EVERY one of them came back and said we owed them a refund because the MSP took their property. One of those 7 actually got a lawyer on the case but after he talked to me he realized he really had no cause to start with us, and that he wasnt scaring us.

So now the policy is, no MSP "Not Disapproved" paperwork, no gun.

God, what a bunch of boneheads. Having a job in customer service myself, I absolutely cannot stand it when the customer demands the impossible. The seas must part for this customer and time must stand still. MSP will not confiscate improperly transferred firearms. Wolves and lions will bow before the customer because he cannot be wrong! Take this recent example:

"No, we don't take credit cards," I say.

"Ah ha!" replies the customer. "You are hiding something from me! I know that you are lying! There must be a machine somewhere back there..."

"Nope," I say again. "We physically CANNOT process credit cards. We have absolutely no capability to do so. None. If I could swipe the card through my buttcrack and process it, I would, but I can't."

"No!" replies the customer. "You're just lazy!"

The bitter irony is that I'm now the go-to guy for dealing with these idiots because I am very patient by nature and very courteous by schooling...

Sorry, long day at work.

TL;DR, here's one more vote for waiting. Explain to the customer that MSP is dragging their feet and, as long as he's not insane, he'll probably say okay. Firearms, legislation, and the treat of police action often provide sanity to the deranged and imparts intelligence upon morons.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I know this has come up any number of times, so I apologize for being repetitive, but I'm looking for advice from those who have done this before.

I've transferred a number of registered items from FFLs and from individuals through the MSP, but this is the first time I'm the seller instead of the purchaser.

It's been since the 2nd since we filled out the forms, and I can tell he's getting anxious to transfer (I'm guessing it'll become his own christmas gift to himself?), but I haven't heard a peep. I couldn't get through to the MSP registration division this afternoon, but I will try again.

Anyway: at this point have any of you transferred the firearm (since 8 days have passed, even if counting business days) and just dealt with the paperwork whenever it finally showed up?

As a buyer, I've always had no problem waiting, but I feel a little worse as a seller.

Suggestions?

Its not your fault, Sit on the gun. If the paperwork comes back denied you will have to go and get the gun back.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hand it over on the 8th day. By law the MSP only has 7 days to disapprove. That is the law, period. After that you are good to go. That is the pro-2A thing to do. Don't let the antis gain a backdoor victory. I don't believe that waiting for a "Not Disapproved" is a CYA at all. It is just more proof that battered gun owners syndrome exists in this God forsaken state.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Hand it over on the 8th day. By law the MSP only has 7 days to disapprove. That is the law, period. After that you are good to go. That is the pro-2A thing to do. Don't let the antis gain a backdoor victory. I don't believe that waiting for a "Not Disapproved" is a CYA at all. It is just more proof that battered gun owners syndrome exists in this God forsaken state.

+100% on that response.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    +100% on that response.

Don is right, and I agree with him wholeheartily, but a Dealer still needs a NICS # to enter in their log book.

The MSP does that portion on regulated guns. When they send back the form back to us that says "Not Disapproved" is has a NICS # on that form too.

If we dont hear from the MDSP and call for a NICS check and they are delayed then what?

Remember, the MD State Police does checks that the Feds dont. I have seen people pass 4473 cbackground checks and fail the MD State Police background check. The State Police does a more thorough check than the NICS, thats just one portion. that the MDSP does. I dont agree with it but its the way it is. Im not sure how and or if its legal but they do it.

At the end of the day we cant release a firearm unless there is a NICS# in our log book, thats BATFE territory there, not the MD State Police.

Just because we put a NICS # in the book and they passed that check on a Federal Level, doesnt mean MDSP wont a come a knocking if they find reasons to "dissaprove". Ive seen it happen.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Don is right but a Dealer still needs a NICS # to enter in their log book. The MSP does that portion on regulated guns. When they send back the form that seya :Not Disapproved" is has a NICS # on it too. If we call for a NICS check and they are delayed then what?

While I do understand and agree with what you have said, It is still wrong and the state keeps pushing it further and further all the time. I buy firearms from only one or two dealers. I never give them a hard time and understand but The state is the one who is breaking the rules and we have not recourse what so ever. Boohoo it is not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    While I do understand and agree with what you have said, It is still wrong and the state keeps pushing it further and further all the time. I buy firearms from only one or two dealers. I never give them a hard time and understand but The state is the one who is breaking the rules and we have not recourse what so ever. Boohoo it is not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No hard feelings brother. :D Were on the same side of the issue. The MDSP likes to try to pit us against each other, they wont succeed. :)

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD

I purchase a fair amount of handguns and always make sure of this beforehand. If I can't pick it up after a week I buy elsewhere. Thats one reason I've never purchased from Bass Pro.

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    I purchase a fair amount of handguns and always make sure of this beforehand. If I can't pick it up after a week I buy elsewhere. Thats one reason I've never purchased from Bass Pro.

I couldn't agree more. Seven days has become 8, 10, 12 days or longer. This is a backdoor anti-gun trick. If anyone holds a customers purchase longer, they are doing a disservice to 2A rights.
    I comply with the law and no one should tell me that I need to wait longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom