Transfer at MSP barracks with out of state resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I called a lgs today regarding a private handgun transfer. They told me they advise people to do it at the MSP barracks since it saves them from doing paperwork and the customer money(hey, I like their way of thinking). I told her that I know that's the case when both people are residents of MD, but in this case one is from MD and one is from another state so I thought that it had to go through an FFL.
    MSP handgun licensing division is closed today and the woman I spoke with there(MSP) wasn't very happy.
    What's the answer to this question?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I believe you have to ship or take it to a FFL in his home state to do the transfer.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    MSP transfer of handguns is a great option for transfer between 2 in state residents. It is not available for residents of 2 different states. Federal law requires a transfer to take place via FFL in the state in which the recipient resides. That firearm can be shipped or brought here by the original owner to the FFL. The recipient needs an HQL and the handgun must be listed on the Maryland Handgun Roster if it was made after 1985. Also, it obviously must not be one of the explicitly banned handguns even if it was manufactured before 1985. The there is the little matter of the 7 day waiting period. Some in state transfers go through an FFL rather than MSP because of distance involved to travel 7 days later. Oh, yeah...mags greater than 10 rounds cannot be transferred in MD. Take possession before bringing the Handgun in state.

Last edited:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    MSP transfer of handguns is a great option for transfer between 2 in state residents. It is no available for residents of 2 different states. Federal law requires a transfer to take place via FFL in the state in which the recipient resides. That firearm can be shipped or brought here by the original owner to the FFL. The recipient needs an HQL and the handgun must be listed on the Maryland Handgun Roster if it was made after 1985. Also, it obviously must not be one of the explicitly banned handguns even if it was manufactured before 1985. The there is the little matter of the 7 day waiting period. Some in state transfers go through an FFL rather than MSP because of distance involved to travel 7 days later. Oh, yeah...mags greater than 10 rounds cannot be transferred in MD. Take possession before bringing the Handgun in state.

Thank you. That's what I thought.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Some FFL's will only accept a firearm from another FFL.

Check first.

We require that for shipped firearms...only because we don't supply our FFL to non FFLs because of possibility of fraud.

Scott's does do transfers from non residents to a MD resident when the Handgun is brought here. Good point, though.

MoeMurrda

Feb 19, 2016
    What they said. I recently spoke with the MSP regarding this issue as I was incorrectly advised that I could go through the barracks to transfer in a used firearm from my buddy in VA. Had to go through FFL. Not a paid endorsement, but if you live in Howard/Baltimore County/Baltimore city, I found a place called Tyler's Firearms in Halethorpe who have pretty reasonable transfer fees (even cheaper than my buddy in VA's FFL), discounts for NRA members, very knowledgeable and friendly staff (not to mention, Chuck, who seems to be the main guy there, is a notary and stamped my collectors application, and waived the fee because I was buying a few accessories at the shop). Once again, no affiliation with the place, besides me being a patron, but it made the pain of not being able to do a $15 MSP transfer a little more bearable (I think it was $35 for used handgun transfer)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom