• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    anyone know where to get a transfer done without getting taken to the proverbial woodshed?

The least I'm seeing with the two guys I deal with regularly is 50 bucks, and that's SUPPOSEDLY a friend price

Seems like highway robbery for filing four or five forms and waiting for a reply

Anyone got the inside scoop? I'm in columbia near Howard High School

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Go under the forums on home page. There is one called industry partners. This is a list of gun related businesses affiliated with MDS. Most offer discounts to MDS members.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    They all charge more than what the MSP dictates in their literature. I suppose if you tried to hold them to it they would just not do a transfer. I realize they have to store the info forever but some are just off the charts.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Some are off the charts but since I have found out a hit more about what is involved, I can see why they don't do it "cheap."

Their license is on the line virtually every time they do that paperwork. These days, I can foresee the BATFE (and in Maryland....) looking for reasons to shut down dealers. Wait times to hear back are high, customers get impatient, filing and storage fees...transfers are probably a bit of a.hassle.

Add all of that to the fact that a lot.of FFL's are busy with just the guns they are selling these days and I am guessing that transfers are lower on their priority lists these days. I would also guess that simply getting inventory will take a lot of their time as this rush goes on.

I get where you are coming from, and I agree for some, but there are other factors that explain why the rates are higher than MSP suggests.

Splitter

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I just did a transfer at HNP muzzle-loading in Essex. I sold an AR to a MDS member and he asked to do the transfer there as prices were fair.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Anything over what MSP DICTATES is to much.

I've heard of 100 bucks before...really?

MSP should start holding the shops to the price OR raise the fee allowed by the legislation.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    anyone know where to get a transfer done without getting taken to the proverbial woodshed?

The least I'm seeing with the two guys I deal with regularly is 50 bucks, and that's SUPPOSEDLY a friend price

Seems like highway robbery for filing four or five forms and waiting for a reply

Anyone got the inside scoop? I'm in columbia near Howard High School

If you are are doing a FTF with anouther private individual then MSP will only cost you $10... But if you are talking bringing in something from out of state, they yeah you need a FFL. Like others have said, just look in the IP section, most have their prices listed, some including MDS pricing, but you need to remember to ask for it.
    I am biased to The Gun Shop my local spot.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Anything over what MSP DICTATES is to much.

I've heard of 100 bucks before...really?

MSP should start holding the shops to the price OR raise the fee allowed by the legislation.

Can two residents of this state conduct a transfer between themselves? If so, what is required by law? Yes, provided both parties conduct the transaction with the Maryland State police or a Regulated Firearms Dealer, (the Dealer may charge an additional $20.00 dollars for this transaction), and the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm. This transaction classified as a Secondary Sale. Both parties must be present during the transaction, and there is a Seven Day Waiting Period before the firearm can be physically transferred. In addition, there is a $10.00 dollar background check fee (Check or Money Order, Absolutely No Cash Accepted), the check must be made out to the Maryland State Police.

Maryland law dictates FFL can charge $20 above and beyond the $10 MSP fee. This is for face to face like you would do at the barracks. Fill out paperwork then take regulated item home and wait for approval then meet with buyer a second time and sign not disapproved paperwork and hand over purchase. If you want to have them check your sale into their books so you can leave it at their shop then that rule doesn't apply and they can charge you whatever they think is fair for taking in your item and holding it for your buyer. FFLs please jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom