• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    I am sorry for what might be a really ignorant question but am I allowed to transport my husband's gun to a shooting range where I am going to meet him?
    Yuliya

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Simple answer - Yes.

Unloaded, in a case or holster/range bag. Magazines can be loaded, they just can't be in the firearm.

Walker

Nov 16, 2012
    Somerset County
    Sure here's how.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360795889.028602.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually the wording is enclosed case or enclosed holster. I interpret this a a flap style, not a pancake or an IWB that many of us have.

More confusion.

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Last edited:
    This is the email I recieved regarding "enclosed holster";

Dear Mr. D,

The term “enclosed holster” is not defined in statute or regulation.

There have been two Opinions of the Attorney General and one Maryland Court of Appeals decision referring to the term. I quote the relevant portions below:

Term "enclosed holster" used in paragraph (b) (5) means a holster so designed as to restrict in some way access to the handgun so that a fastening device or closure has to be opened, released, or removed before the weapon can be exposed or freed from the holster and made immediately available for use. 57 Op. Att'y Gen. 502 (1972).

The nature of an enclosed case within the contemplation of the statute should be considered in the light of the purpose of the statute to transport the guns in a secure manner, deny easy access to them and render them safe and harmless during transit. In our opinion, any type of closed case or receptacle that would insure carrying out the statutory purpose would constitute a sufficient compliance. 58 Op. Atty Gen. Md. 375 (1973).

It could hardly have been the legislative intent to permit guns to be carried in an unfastened sack when it used the language "carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster." While this language may not require a customary gun case or holster, it does require more than an unfastened sack. Jordan v. State, 24 Md. App. 267, 274, 330 A.2d 496, 501 (1975).

Mark H. Bowen

Assistant Attorney General

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Thats way to gray. But it still doesnt specifiy where that holster is. That enclosed holster could be on your body. It doesnt say it cant be. Very gray...go md.

zyo81

Jan 6, 2013
    Lock it in a portable safe, swallow the key, and take bran muffins and rubber gloves to the range.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Put the gun in a case. Lock the case. Put the case behind the seat of the truck. Problem solved.
    That's more or less what I do, except I don't explicitly lock the case. I have an MTM range box that is two part - the bottom, where I keep ammo, ear muffs, magazines, etc, and the top portion where I keep my handguns, unloaded. I don't transport loaded magazines either, even though I should be able to by law - I just don't want to give a young, inexperienced LEO who doesn't know any better an excuse to try to seize my stuff after I get pulled over for a broken headlight.

Walker

Nov 16, 2012
    Somerset County
    I don't "lock" anything as well. I posted that info but i didn't say i "followed" it haha i have a Pelican case for my handguns and cases for my rifles but the only thing that gets locked is the trunk of my car. That's were the ammo goes too. That's about as far as it goes for me.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    ybrown, also you must be able to legally own whatever firearm you are taking to the range.

I think this is more what I was asking. It doesn't matter that I do not own it, long as I am not someone who would not be able to own one.
    I understand what the law is about transporting one, the question was regarding the fact that it's not mine.
    Yuliya

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I think this is more what I was asking. It doesn't matter that I do not own it, long as I am not someone who would not be able to own one.
    I understand what the law is about transporting one, the question was regarding the fact that it's not mine.
    Yuliya

Yes, you should be good. It is legal to "loan" a gun to a person that is legal to own that gun.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    You and me both! I just got my FL carry permit and cant wait to go into our bordering states and enjoy the freedom

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    OK, here's one for you all. I have a rifle and shotgun both in soft cases, no locks on the cases, but the guns themselves have locks. I have a range bag without a lock that I'm going to use for the handgun (which i will probably lock). So far I think I'm OK. Now the tricky part, I have a Jeep, no roof, no doors, no locks... doubt i can fit all the ammo in my glovebox....

Also, if i carry the gun in a range bag (to the range), wouldn't that be considered "concealed carry" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom